Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am hoping to get a new boxer puppy in the next 4-6 months, but need some advice as to whether I am making a good decision.  My situation is this:

I am a private charter pilot and thus travel quite a bit.  Unlike an airline pilot, however, I am home about 18-20 days a month.  I am concerned about those 10-12 days a month where I might be on 1-3 day overnight trips.  I live with my girlfriend who can help with the dog and she works a normal 9-5 job.  Is it okay for the new boxer to be alone for 8-9 hours a day on those few days a month where I am gone and my girlfriend is working?  Is a new boxer puppy better suited for someone who can be with it all the time for the first few months?  I really want this puppy to work out with us, but I also don't want to raise a puppy that will not get the best home possible.  I would appreciate any advice, be it good or bad for me.  Thanks!

·
Registered
744 Posts
IMO, 8 or 9 hours is much too long for a puppy. Generally, they need to potty once every 3 or 4 hours for the first couple of months.

Have you considered rescue? It would seem like a young adult might be better for your home situation.

Rescue is a great way to go. Rescue boxers come in all shapes, colors, and sizes, and ages range from pup to senior. Also, when adopting an adult or older dog, there is no potty training stage to worry about! Many rescue boxers come with obedience training and all are up to date on vaccinations and spayed or neutered.

Not sure where you're located, but I'm sure there's a rescue organization near you.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome,,,,,,,,,,I have to agree with Jessica. You really might consider a rescue boxer instead. I've done 2 rescues including my current boxer Samson & I will do my next as a rescue. Simply to give a good loving home to a boxer baby that needs it. My Samson was 7 when I adopted him, but my other rescue Tia was only 9 mos, so the ages do vary & generally they are housetrained & sometimes crate trained as well. They make the best pets cos they appreciate you more(at least I think so). It would be worth checking into..Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The 8-9 hour stretch will be your biggest hurdle. If someone could take your pup out for a couple potty breaks during the day, you would be good. Crate training is a must in your situation. If we left our pup out of her cage when we left, I think we'd come home to a complete disaster and a baby boxer snoring in the center of it. Boxers get bored and when they get bored they do bad things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts