Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I'm off to the vet soon for Sadie's last set of shots. I want to know what you all think about microchipping? Do you do it? I really think its less common in Canada that the US..when I was looking for a vet for Sadie about 2 months ago a lot of the vets were saying that they hardly ever do it.

Would you all recommend it? And if your dog is chipped, is it a painful procedure?

Thanks! And wish me luck taking her for her shot alone  8O...

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Chloe is chipped and I would highly recommend it to anyone. A girl I know from another forum lost her dog and 5 months later after searching everywhere they finally got a call on her and she ended up being 2 states away! She was reunited with her parents thanks to that microchip. As far as the pain..I am not sure because we had Chloe's done while she was already under for her spay.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I went to the vet yesterday for Oggie's first visit and asked about microchipping.  This place had just began offering this service.  It's something I definitely want after reading about the pro's and con's on here and elsewhere.  What the vet told me is the best time to do it is when you get your dog spayed/neutered because then they will already be under.  It's true it's basically just a shot, but the vet's words is that it is a "big shot" and can be a bit much for a puppy.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Brady is microchipped (was done by rescue league before we got him), Abby is not, but I plan on having it done when she goes in next time. As I understand it, it is, yes, a big shot...the chip is tiny and it is injected near the shoulder area using a shot essentially. I believe that Brady was awake for his...which I am sure was eventful... 8O  I recently had his glands cleaned and my little boy screamed like a girl (when I put my nose to his nose and just smooshy-faced him...he calmed significantly, so I think he just wanted my attention, tehehhe).  Abby was extremely well behaved, just gave me those sad eyes, so I presume she would be good for the microchipping needle.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Our vet recommends microchipping when she goes in to be spayed.  I have read some cons (although not enough to form and opinion) that it has been associated with tumors at the injection site.  I do think the concept is really good, I'm not sure I know enough about it to understand how it works, i.e. if it is a GPS locating system do you need to pay a service a yearly or monthly monitoring or tracking fee or is it just an information thing that can be scanned by a vet???  How does the microchip work exactly???  I would like to know more about it from those of you that have it.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Maddie has the "Home Again" brand chip. You pay to get the shot, price varies, I think I paid $25 for the injection. Then you pay a one time fee to register with "Home Again" or whichever service you get. I believe that was another $15. I would highly recommend it as well.
Maddie was about 16 months when I got her, and I got her chipped within the first week of getting her. She was a runner when I got her so I didn't want to take a chance. She was fully awake, didn't bother her in the least bit. The needle is a bit bigger, but I think it bothered me more than it did her.
Buster was about 6 months old when I had him chipped. Again, he was fully awake and had no problems with it either.  :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Getting it done is fairly easy.. Its a simple injection like getting any other vaccination.  They inject it in the scruff of the neck for the most part, and is detectable by a scanning device they run over the dog. The chip is very good in certain situations, but in other situations.. Its not so good. If your dog gets out and runs off, and is picked up by animal controll, It should in this day and time allways be checked for microchip. This will get your loved one back. If your animal is stolen, chances are even if they take it to a vet, its not going to be checked and the person caught.  The only chance they would have there is if the vet recognized the dog, and knew this person wasnt the owner. (This is what my vet told me anyway)  They need to come out with a lojack for dogs, so that when an animal is lost, it can be tracked via gps. that would be quite a bit better than a scannable chip.. But i guess for now the microchip does provide its usefullness and it does return some animals to their owners. So for 60 bucks, its an added feelings of security thats well worth the money.

G

·
0 Posts
I got Jetta microchipped within a few days of getting her.  She was wide awake...and the needle was big enough around to hold a piece of rice.  They say the chip is about rice sized.  She absoltely screamed, but as soon as the vet tech hugged her and gave her a treat, she forgot about the pain.  With home again, you can get a tag with your pups pic, name, your phone number, the vet's name and address and where to take her in an emergency.  You can also report her lost and they send her pic and info to local area vets up to a state or two over and to all animal control agencies.  That way, if someone stole her, the vets in the area will have that pic/poster and can recognize her as stolen

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all so much for the info. After hearing more about it, I think we are going to chip Sadie for sure. I think we'll try to get it done same time as her spay.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Yup, Vega is defintiely chipped and registered. 18 bucks a year can't beat that.

·
Registered
942 Posts
After reading this thread I called our local vet and they are running a special on the "home again" microchips...she said normally it's $60 and now it's $39.99...I'm thinking very hard about getting both Kaci and Milo chipped. Kaci b/c someone might steal her (she doesn't run) and Milo b/c he runs...but good luck on anyone getting close enough to steal him :lol:

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
My vet is also having the same special on the Home Again chip until mid December.   They must be doing some big marketing push.  I actually saw a commercial for it on tv the other day as well, I think it was on the National Geographic Channel  (during the Dog whisperer of course).

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
After reading everything I could get  my hands on about chips we decided to have Donner done with the Home Again brand, some scanners only read their brand of chips, Home Again reads all 3 of the major names and had the least possibility of migrating (moving under the skin to a spot where the scanner won't catch it) as a precaution against this I plan on asking our vet to periodically scan him to make sure migration hasn't occurred. We had his done when he was under for neutering and I don't believe he noticed it a bit.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
My personal opinion is....Get a chip!....Is there a chance it can have an issue of the chip moving...can it cause a cyst or tumor...yes and yes.....but the chance of that is so very low...and getting your dog back if it is lost far outways the "chance".

As long as you keep in mind that it is not 100%.....Some scanners do not read all chips, not all shelters have all scanners...some vets dont use them and some vets dont scan everyone that comes in.....So, chips like tags are for "honest people".....If and honest person finds your dog they get your info and they call you.....If a dishonest person steals your dog, they go to a vet, and say they have always had the dog, since it was a pup, just moved to the area...blah blah blah...it may not get checked for a chip and it is gone from you probably forever...

With anything there is good and bad...but why not cover your baby just in case!!!!!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Lola is chipped!  I was told by the vet that for 24 hours after try to keep her as still as possible.  I guess the chip can move from where they are placed and travel down the leg if the dog is too hyper right after.  So she said to make sure her tag is on, because when a dog is found they typically only scan where the chip would be and don't bother going down the legs and such.  Just an fyi!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Mic and Indy are both chipped with Avid...there is a relatively high risk of theft here(boxers are just swiped)...but, we know that the first time they took them to a vet, the vet would scan them and they would be returned to us! :)  Sounds great to me...not that they are ever out of my sight...but, I like the extra precaution...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts