Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
I think it should be up the owner, and I have heard having them cropped prevents infections and stuff. I love em both ways. I dont think anyone would look down upon it at all, and if they do thats their problem.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I've seen lots of posts on this, don't believe anyone here would ever disapprove or judge, your baby - your choice. We've had two floppy's but I like the look of a crop, it's just not for me. So glad you're looking into a new baby, whatever you decide, cropped or floppy WE LOVE pics!!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
i know people feel their own ways about it..but its your pup..no one would look down on you for it..if they did well so what haha...

happy for you..hope you find a new baby soon:)

i think they look good both ways..i personally wouldnt do it though..but thats just me...

cant wait for pics :):)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I think it definatly depends on owner opinion. Although in my opinion it depends on the dog as well, some dogs really dont look too good with cropped ears, and then the ones that look fantastic. Neither of my dogs in my opinion would look good with cropped ears. And i think the process of getting it all cropped would be tough too.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I think it is truly a matter of the owner's preference.  I was absolutely sure I was going to have Sophie's ears cropped and even paid for the procedure the day I bought her.  However, after seeing all the beautiful dogs on this site, as well as the beautiful boxers being shown with natural ears in AKC shows these days and the fact that many european countries ban cropping - I decided it would take too much away from her time as a puppy for a cosmetic procedure that only benefits me.  It's still a personal choice and no one will feel any differently towards you no matter what you decide.  I think we in the USA have a vision in our heads as to the idea look of a boxer,  and with more information and exposure to wonderful dogs on this site, I decided (for myself) that I'd rather put the money I'd spend on that procedure into the bank for emergencies or routine vet bills or just plain spoiling her with goodies.  It's my choice and it's not right or wrong.  Each person much decide what they want to do and good luck with your decision whatever it is.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh, believe me, no one would look down on you or shout or say anything foolish, cos at the end of the day, it is your choice!! I've had 2 natural ear and now 2 cropped(but neither of those were done by me)...Angel's look lovely, but Samson's were done too short, that is my only beef...The cropped ear definitely enhances the "boxer look", but as you start to see more natural ear boxers being shown here, I think the thing about cropping isn't as much of an issue...Myself personally, I prefer the natural ear, I think it gives them more personality, but there is something to be said for a majestic boxer with a great crop....Odin is a perfect example, he looks awesome now with his  :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I prefer the natural ears also, but I think that the dogs who have cropped ears look regal.  I agree that it is the owners choice about whether to crop or not.  Just be sure that you get someone good to crop if that is what you decide to do.  Check with Boxer clubs in your area to see who they recommend.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would say it is personal preference.  Everyone will agree on here you won' t get banned from the forums or yelled at.  I don't think Tango would be the same with floppy ears.  I think they look great either way but I have always wanted the traditional look if I ever got a boxer so thats we did.  

He did seem more alert and perky with the ears done.  Other than that they are purely cosmetic.  It is kind of sad at first to them when you pick them up but, with proper care and an excellent vet they can offer exceptional pain meds these days.  I posted some before and after pics of Tango you can look at.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
After a long talk with everyone on the forum... the breeder... the vet... hubby and I discussing it... we decided to go through with it. I've never thought he should look any different either!!  :D All the natural eared boxers on here are SO adorable with their floppy ears... but I truly am glad we got it done. If we did get another boxer... and it were a girl I'm not sure I'd get them done. I want my boy to look regal and just "damn good" and my girl to look sweet and cute... and even though Odin is all that... he looks more regal than sweet and cute. That's what we were wanting.

It's up to you... what YOU want... not anyone else. It's not anything any of us would look down on you for doing. Trust me... I thought the same thing... and no body was mean or rude about. JUST make sure you get a GREAT knowledgeable, experienced vet that knows what they are doing. I think it cost us $150 and it went SO well!! I know some people have problems with healing and taping etc. We luckily didn't. It was stitches for about a week, then no stitches and just healing, then taping for 5 days... and TADA... this was the day the tape came off.

The talk we all had over Odin's cropping is called "Odin's New Look" or "Odin's Ear Crop" I think... if you did a search in here to see what people were thinking, discussing... etc.

P.S.
 They DO GROW into their ears... LOL They don't look as LONG on him now... and I'd always heard that but it's true!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: To Crop or Not to Crop "Mastray"

Mastray,  I must say your boxer looks just like my "Bo"  it brought tears to our eyes when I seen your pic when he was young and just had his ears done.  My avitar pic it is small but as you can see he looks alot like your dog.  I have agood vet who did Bo's ears so that is not a problem, I was just wandering what others thought.  When I first got BO I was on a boxer forum and had to leave cause some people were giving me a hard time about it.  I just wanted to know if this group of people were going to attack me if I decide to crop the next puppy.  I would hate to leave another site so I just thought I would see what everyone outake was on it.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I saw your avatar... he was a VERY HANDSOME BOY!! I thought Bo was a little darker but now that I look at it I think it's just the coloring of the pic. There is a boxer on here named Beckham... we think him and Odin look a lot alike but he has natural ears... super cutie!

What forum were you on!?? I know there is a forum out there... can't think of the name... but they've banned people for the SILLIEST THINGS! Along with being extremely rude to people. I was going to join it but reading through the posts, seeing them attack people for NO REASON... hubby and I changed our minds! I think I had to be "okay'd" anyway. If some one said the name I'd be like... "OH, THAT'S IT!!"

Everyone here is GREAT! They will let you know how they feel about subjects but NEVER say that you are WRONG or a HORRIBLE person or even treat you differently... unless you admit to beating your dog or something!?? But that's getting a little ridiculous! I think you get the point.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I love Odin's ears and there is a whole thread on here about his surgery and healing progress from start to finish with the crop that is a fabulous read.  It wouldn't be Odin without his ears done.  One of the reasons I decided against it here in Salt Lake City is because there was only one vet that will do it, and his going rate starts at $500.00.  I spoke with a well known ABC registered breeder here and she flies all her dogs to California to have their ears done - which is very expensive.  I didn't want to spend $500.00 without some reasonable assurance that her ears would be done right.  However, I still love to see a beautiful boxer with cropped ears.  You just have to weigh the pros and cons and decide what works for you.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Yeah, sweetie, I don't think anyone would look down upon you for any decision you make.  I have one of each.  I didn't crop Niko's ears but I love them on him.  I hope you find your baby soon and you make his ears look however you like them best.  Good luck to ya and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. :D

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I think for the most part on here, we really don't care either way.  Your dog is your dog and the lot of us are pretty supportive no matter what you decide.  You could probably dye your new pup purple twice a week and so long as the solution you used isn't gonna hurt your dog...we'd still think it was a beautiful, albeit purple Boxer!!!  ROFLMAO!!!!

It is totally owner decision and preference!!!  I personally love the natural, floppy look, but i also thing there are several outstanding looking Boxers on here that are cropped (Samson, Angel, Odin...just to name a few) and absolutely beautiful...
So it totally depends on what you want...whatever you decide...It's still gonna be a beautiful Boxer to us...

·
Registered
278 Posts
I don't have an opinion either way.  I think both are beautiful.  I don't know that much about the process of cropping the ears, the risks, benefits, etc., but no one on here will have a problem with you either way you choose.  I'm so sorry for the loss of your Bo.  He was a gorgeous boy!  Good luck with a new baby either way you choose!

**I too was treated rude on another site for simply asking for alternative methods to using a choker.  Apparently I was not allowed to even mention the word "choker".  I wasn't banned (I don't think)..I just never returned.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We have the best of both worlds.  When we got Sonya her ears were cropped but one didn't take well and the breeder said he was massaging it with oil to help it grow correctly.  Well it turns out that it just didn'y work.  Now our baby has one up and one flops.  When she's really alert the other ear stands straight up like the cropped one.  I think it gives her personality.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts