Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone...

I know this subject has probably been beaten into the ground already, but I have a new twist.  My boxer (Murphy) is almost 5 months and his testicles have not dropped.  My vet said this happens sometimes and they could still fix him (just cost ~70 bucks more - have to open him up a little more).  Does anyone know if undescended testicles still produce sperm/hormones the same as a dog with "normal anatomy?"  And, if not, would it be necessary to fix him then.  He is fairly laid back as it is...  is it going to be a problem if I don't get him fixed?  Any input would appreciated.... thanks.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Ok first off a undecended testical has the possibility to become cancerous. IMO unless you plan on donig the neccessary health testing and breeding him i would have him neutered. It will be best for him in the long run.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I say get him fixed and sacrifice the $70. Yes, he will still have horomones.. You'll encounter the marking (possibly in your home, etc)..

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
If I remember correctly, someone else asked this & I believe it was recomended that they wait a bit longer and see if the testicle descended, they do that sometimes. Which would make it easier to neuter....I would still neuter tho at the appropriate time, just to avoid health issues down the road...It can also keep them from "marking" in the house, altho that doesn't always happen in an unaltered dog. Buck was not neutered, never marked, never showed aggression, never felt the need to run the neighborhood, however, I begged with my ex to have the surgery done simply as we had no intention on breeding and it's better for him as he gets older......

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Yes, get it taken care of because more problems can arise from it like cancer.    

Breeders keep show prospects and sometimes the puppy is minus a nugget, and then they are fix immediately and placed into pet homes.   This can also be a genetic issue, and shall it pop up, then it should be taken care of, asap.

It also can take 6 months to fall, but if you have not hope of showing or doing the necessary testing and eval to breed, I would just fix it, and ease your mind:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts