Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi , i have a 8 month old boy and im debating to have him neuter or not. some of my friends had their dogs neuter and said they  werent the same again, some even felt their dogs hated them after. i was just wondering if any people here didnt have their dogs neuter and did they have any big problems becasue of it. i just fell bad taking his boys away cause i wouldnt want it done to me.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
if you dont neuter you have to keep a real close watch when he is around other dogs...

im not sure about males but with females obviously menstruation is something you have to deal with, and being more prone to infection...  

they werent the same again, some even felt their dogs hated them after

and its just my opinion, but i think that is kinda ridiculous...

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The new way of castrating is really pretty non-invasive for dogs.  I use the "moon signs" for any elective surgeries I do on my dogs and the last male I had nuetered sailed thru it like it was a breeze.  Never even knew the difference.  You can google the use of moon signs for castration and will find the information that you seek.  It is much better to have it done as if you don't they get a lot of problems when they get olde with infection and such.  

Nano

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
There has been a lot of discussion about this lately. I belong to another site and it's split about 50/50 whether or not you should neuter....

First of all, don't do it too young, there is a school of thought that a dog that is already a submissive prior to neutering will become even more so afterwards, esp at a young age....Second, it does not always help with aggression, that is a behavior problem & the neuter will not help..Third, if it's broke, don't fix it..My Buck did not wander, was never aggressive, never marked in the house so we made the decision to keep him intact.

As far as hating you? That is rather lame if you ask me.. The reason we didn't have Buck neutered was basically the same as what you stated about yourself, you wouldn't want it done to you. My ex was very adamant about that, but we never had any issues, so it was fine...Having said that,if we had, I would have done it without his consent..I feel that strongly about it...

When I lived in Ireland, my friend had a year old male boxer and was going thru the same dilema and I asked her the same questions that I'm asking you, does he wander, has he shown any aggression to other animals? If the answer is no & there are no medical issues and he is not around an intact female, I would leave him be for now....

I'll get off my soapbox now,,Hope this was some help to you

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Having him neutered before the onset of puberty is best, especially to avoid some of the male habits you want to do without. Having him neutered will help decrease territorality and aggression, marking, and wandering or roaming. It also almost completely eliminates the risk of prostate cancer, and completely eliminates the risk of testicular cancer. Well over half of the unaltered male dogs over the age of 5 will develop prostate enlargement or cancer.

If you wait until after your dog goes through puberty and begins developing some of these undesirable traits before having him neutered, neutering may help with some of them but probably won't eliminate them.

There is no effect on their weight, size, or muscle/joint development with neutering. It also doesn't change their personality as far as playfulness, affection, etc. It has also been proven to increase life span (because it decreases the risks of cancers, fights, roaming, etc.).

It only makes sense to neuter unless one is willing to do the recomended health testing and have the dog evaluated or compete in conformation shows and of course, the bitch should also undergo the same.

If it were me, I would have him neutered ASAP, since they start to mature at about six months or so. Just remember if you have him neutered.... tell your vet NOT to use ACE.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I agree with EVERYTHING that samsonsmom said!!! When I get my new puppy next year (if everything is alright with him, no roaming, ect ) He wont be neutered!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am a bout t oget my guy neutered- so what is ACE??  And what are moon signs- is that like astrology?
~Anne

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Moon signs are phases of the moon that are supposed to help with the body being in tune with the universe.  It is an old belief system from way back. It is sort of related to the Almanac type beliefs. If you look it up you will find certain dates during each month that are recommended for surgery. I personally believe in it and have used it for many years for the elective surgeries for my horses and dogs.  Wether you believe in it or not, it certainly doesn't hurt anything and it has worked very well for me.  Minimal bleeding and swelling from the surgical site and very quick recovery times.  

Ace is Ace Promazine a tranquilizer with a known risk of heart problems when used in the Boxer.  Lots of vets are aware of the risk, but some are not and some don't acknowlege it. I have a flame orange collar and lead that I use on my Boxers when taking them to the vet that says "NO ACE PROMAZINE" on them.  I also have them put on the top of my dogs charts in big letters NO ACE PROMAZINE.  There are other tranquilizers they can use on your dog besides this one, so make sure you request NO ACE when you go in and that they list it on your chart.

I usually wait until my dogs are atleast a year before I alter them.  Longer with my females if possible.  They do need the hormones for development in my opinion.  I have not noticed a big change in any sort of behavior either, but every dog is different.  

Good luck

Nano

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
[quote="cassieqh\";p=\"2874":grpr6dnh]I am a bout t oget my guy neutered- so what is ACE??

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am right there with you on that whole shelters being filled.  In my anatomy and physiology class we disected cats that came from shelters.  I know for a fact that up to 80% of aminals at shelters are someone's unwanted pet, so we were cutting up a cat that had once belonged to someone and they found reason not to want them anymore!!!  It made me sad.

Also since Cactus's has had seizures, I would not dream of breeding him.  I would've had it done a long time ago but I have been waiting to see how frequent his seizures are!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts