Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your opinion.  As I have said before, I am ready to adopt a male buddy.  I am mentally ready and I have started getting the house ready for a new guy too.  I even set up the crate again (yes, I will try the crate thing again)  BUT, Hubby and I are gong on a trip at the end of OCT. for 9 days.  My Sis-in -law is is house and dog sitting for us.  Although I want to apply for adoption now, should I wait until I return?  We are pretty sure that this is our last big trip for awhile.  We plan to buy a camper for next year to go on weekend trips.  Anyway...I know that the adoption process can take a while and it is quite possible that I wouldn't be getting the new guy for a while.  On the other hand, if it does happen quickly, I don't want him to think that we are ditching him.  And I don't know about leaving dog-sitter with 2.  Thoughts?  I am torn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,641 Posts
I don't know if your going thru a rescue or not..but if you are maybe just submit your application and if they happen to contact you before leaving on your trip just explain the situation to them.  I'm not sure how it works because I have never been thru it but just wanted to say congrats and I think it's great you are going to adopt another one!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,757 Posts
I agree if you are going through a rescue organization, you can get your application in now. That way they can do all the evaluations and home visits and you can go on their list of approved homes. Also, by getting that done all you have to do is find a dog that you are interested in and all the paperwork and everything else will be done. When I rescued Maddie I waited until I saw a dog that interested me on their website and by the time my application was reviewed and someone called me, the dog I was interested in was adopted already. I think it is a lot easier getting approved first, then seeking a new friend. Good Luck to you on your search!  :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,134 Posts
I'm probably wrong but I'd wait til after your trip to start the process so that you can give you full attention to it.  That way you can enjoy your trip and not spend your time worrying about whether or not you'll be missing a phone call or interview.  As you said it's a 9 day trip and you owe it to yourself and your hubby to enjoy yourselves stress free.  You want to be the ones to welcome your new baby and start things off from the beginning the way you do things.  It's only a thought, and I do know how hard it is to wait, but I think that's what I would do.  Congrats on your decision to add to your family, hope you find the perfect baby, and have a wonderful vacation no matter what you decide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,661 Posts
i agree with going ahead and submitting the application and stuff. Depending on the rescue it could take some time before you hear back or get interviewed and such.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.  I will be going through a recsue.   I should be there for the 1st  few weeks,  you are absolutely right.  I hope it all works out.  I want to totally be prepared for this.   I am sure I will have other questions and I appreciate the feedback.  It is a big step but we are ready.   :D  I will continue my preparations and fill out some applications.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,306 Posts
Depending on the rescue it can take awhile..As they are all staffed by volunteers things do sometimes move a bit slower...Also, a good rescue works very hard to place the "right" dog with each family, so be prepared, the one you may like, may not be the one that the rescue would recomend. That happened to me when I was looking for one..I wanted this one male, but after the home visit and lots of conversations, they recomended Samson. Make no mistake, I absolutely adore my boy, but at the end of the day, the rescue wants to do the best they can to find homes that will truly be forever...

Start the process now..... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,429 Posts
It took me from mid-February to the end of April to get approved and find Kiah.  I got turned down for the first rescue because they felt she would do better with a family that had another dog.  I truly believe that I was ment to wait until Kiah was there.  Good luck.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top