Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...this is Nermal

We got this kitten when she was 4 weeks old, her mother had pushed her away. We raised her in a loving home...held her...gave her good food...plenty of toys, played with her...and from the get go...always had an attitude. She is now 9 months old...she will "growl" if you hold her and she doesn't want you to...if you touch her belly she will hiss...she has kinda bit me once...didn't break the skin...and now we have two dogs (Jetta and Bo)...with Jetta she will try to play...and then hiss and growl if the Jetta tries to play back...Bo she just hisses at automatically...she hisses at children...we want children in a few years...and I would like to keep the cat...but if she doesn't start behaving...we will have to get rid of her at that point or sooner...what can we do?

I hate cats in general, but this one stole my heart...here is a pic of her shortly after we got her:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Re: To you cat owners out there...need help with Nermal the

My cat is the same way. She only wants what she wants and when she wants it. Her way or no way basically. Her sister and her grew up together and in the same house. Her sister was a saint.. cuddly cute fluffy kitty and chloe was prissy and picky about the things around her. Its just how some cats are I guess.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts

get a spray bottle and give her a little squirt when she is showing aggressive behavior. That would be my suggestion. But really some cats are like this and usually if you leave them along they wont cause trouble and come to get love when they are ready.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts

Sounds like normal cat to me.  I call it "catitude".  That's why we don't like/have cats.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts

I agree with what has been said.  It is hard to correct or change a behavior in a cat they are a total different thing all together and they are very different from one to the other.  

I have a cat that I also adopted at 4 weeks old and it is now 14 months old and it acts the same way.  Sometimes it will come and want you to pet it and sometimes if you try to pet it, it will bite the fire out of you. It was suppose to be my skin kids cat.

He plays with Fiona when he wants to and he growls and hiss at her about 95% of the time. There is no real indication why they are like this it is certainly Catitude!  I have seen that it also varies with the "type" of cat it is.  It is not always the case but generally orange cats have a pretty good attitude and calico and siamese mix cats have a real crappy one. Where as pure Siamese seem to be okay and then solid grey's seem to be okay but grey and whites seem to be crabby :)

It is a gamble and although it may calm down with age, it may not!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Today I am a bit worried about Nermal...she did get a little bite on one of her rear feet when she started to hiss and scratch at Bo last night...it looks good this morning, no inflammation and no open wound...

but she slept on a dresser in another room all night, never jumped down...she is not eating very well...she hasn't used her little box in 12 hours...and she gets stiff and stuff when you hold her...she is acting very strange...is this just a reaction to the new dog...or will this last forever?

·
Registered
112 Posts

I think it's probably a reaction to the new dog. Cats take a long time to get used to new things/surroundings. When I introduced my cat to a new cat "brother" it took them several weeks to even get to the point where they wouldn't hiss at each other. When she has to used the litter box and can't hold it anymore...she will. Same with the food...eventually she'll get hungry and eat. I would give it a little time. She may have an attitude forever, but she will start to eat and use the litter box.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts

If she hasn't used her box in 12 hours you better start looking around.  My cat will pee random places when he is mad at me.  Once he jumped in the clothes hamper I was holding and peed on all my whites.  When we got Duke, Duke's dog bed was in front of the couch, Chester (our cat) peed on it, I was sitting on the couch at the time.  If I could have caught him, let me tell you  :oops: .  Then he started biting my feet and clawing at them.  He would sneak into my blanket and scratch my feet.  He calmed down after a while and he's alot better now that he has a girlfriend. :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

she was on top of the dresser all night and can't get back up herself...so i know she didn't go

·
Registered
5,692 Posts

we found our tiger kitten at about 2 weeks old...she was left behind when they trapped the mother and other siblings 3 days before that...we found her nearly dead...nursed her back,...bottle fed the whole 9 yards..she was soooooooo cuddly and sweet...would run to me sleep on me never be far away from me...then all of a sudden

·
Registered
15 Posts

[quote="DUKE01\";p=\"49673":390ltoek]If she hasn't used her box in 12 hours you better start looking around.

·
Registered
202 Posts

hey I just wanted to say, we have a cat named rambo--- for a reason. My mother named him that because "he likes to draw first blood" (lol)

He was a very independent kitty would growl, hiss, bite, etc if you touched him. My mother rescued him because he had done it since he was a kitten, and the woman that had him as a kitten was an older lady who wanted a companion. (that he was not) So we took him in and just let him be. He would let my mom pet him once he figured out she was the one feeding him, but only for a few minutes and when he didnt want to get pet he would growl and that would be it. She would let him be.

Her explanation was always "what am I gonna do? put him in the news paper as a free lovable hugable kitty?" so we kept him, we knew he would get put down at the pound. We got him when I was four and knew not to touch him. I knew it from the get-go. We still have him, and now at his older age (I believe hes either 12 or 14) he lets you pet him, and has really calmed down... but it has taken him 14 years to get there

he hasnt been a problem, and pretty much whenever he would start causing a problem with me he would get put in the garage for the night (but we lived in FL at the time where you could do that year round lol)

Just wanted to let you know we have a kitty who is pretty much the same and I was fine with him. Yes I was bit, but I learned my lesson and we learned to ignore each other. Just keep the kitty sepearted from the baby/ toddler when you do decide to have children. He should stay away from them. If he is an attacker thats when you need to worry (I.e. pouncing on the toddler and just going to town... I dont think he should do that though.)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

well...nermal is actually acting better to mike and I ans even let my mom pet her for a few min...i think the result of her fear of bo is causing her to become more glued to us...

·
Registered
15 Posts

BxrLv22\";p=\"54957 said:
what am I gonna do? put him in the news paper as a free lovable hugable kitty?" so we kept him, we knew he would get put down at the pound.
i love your mother's attitude! your cat is probably so much happier than it appears, being allowed to live it's life without anyone pushing themselves on it. now it's beginning to show you how much it's loved it's life because you all took care of him without forcing him to be affectionate.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

I'm not much help where cats are concerned, but agree with everyone else that they are definitely a different animal and that there isn't much you can do to change their personality.  All I can do is wish you the best and if the cat is unhappy about being with the doggies, then maybe finding him a new home where he is the only pet or only with other cats would be an alternative.

·
Registered
47 Posts

We got Missy (my cat) when she was 8 weeks old she was soo cute she used to lay on her back while you rubbed her stomach.  Yeah well she grew up and now she is the queen... Hates all the dogs only lets us touch her when she wants it.  When you are petting her and she wants you to stop she will bite you to tell you that is enough. She does not draw blood but it don't feel good.  That is just her personality.. Sucks I thought cat were supposed to be cuddly.  I guess we picked the wrong one!  Oh well we love her mean and all.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts

lmssrf\";p=\"56809 said:
When you are petting her and she wants you to stop she will bite you to tell you that is enough. She does not draw blood but it don't feel good.
My cat does this too....does your cat knock on doors also? My sisters could open doors iteself..mine knocks on doors when he wants them opened. Does nermal do tricks aqua? Is she doing any better at being nice?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Lol, Nermal will mew mew mew mew at the bedroom door when she hears hubby's alarm go off...i am still trying to sleep and I want to Kill her, lol...she also sticks her paw under the door and scrapes it...blah...

She is very affenctionate after the sun goes down and when we first wake up in the morning...and when we are on the toilet for some reason...Bo wants to play with her now..not just chase her...but he hit her with his big paw and sent her flying...so she still doesn't care for Bo, lol

·
Registered
45 Posts

My one cat Kitty does the same thing. We all guess she needs some space...lol.. Kitty's attitude is when she wants lovins its on HER terms.

·
Registered
50 Posts

she s a really nice cat i have 2 kittens as well when i brought them home the first time they used to hisss for the dogs one more than the other but then they got used to them they even play togathger nowi dont know why maybe because they where 2 togather
?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts