Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was suggested that I find an article about the dangers of a certain toad, as we seem to have a few toad catchers on here..Samson also enjoys this pastime.... :)

Toad Toxicity in Animals

Introduction

The Midwest is home to species of toads belonging to the genus Bufo. All species of Bufo are poisonous, and some, such as those found in Florida, commonly kill dogs who try to eat them. Fortunately, those found in the Midwest rarely cause serious poisoning. While dogs are most commonly affected, toad poisoning has also been reported in cats.

Toxicity

When toads are threatened, glands in the skin of toads secrete a mixture of poisons. These toxins have actions similar to those of the heart medication digitalis. Other toxins affect blood pressure and one is believed to cause hallucinations.

Clinical Effects

Poisoning caused by toads in Midwest cause symptoms that begin almost immediately. They usually consist of copious salivation (drooling) and vomiting which may persist for many hours. In most cases, no other toxic effects occur.

Treatment

A diagnosis of toad poisoning is usually based on seeing a dog or cat mouthing a toad, or seeing a toad or toad pieces in the dog or cat's vomit if symptoms have already occurred. If an animal is seen mouthing or eating a toad, first aid includes quickly rinsing out the mouth with large amounts of water. As vomiting usually occurs as a result of toad poisoning, making a dog vomit is usually of no value, especially once symptoms are seen. If vomiting becomes persistent, a veterinarian should be consulted.

For more information visit the Animal Poison Control Center
http://www.apcc.aspca.org or contact them by phone at 1-888-426-4435

--------------------

·
Registered
405 Posts
I saw the other poster's question and checked out this sticky...interesting, we are in the northeast and have a LARGE family of frogs or toads of some sort living in our yard near a tree (my hubby has named them all Martin, not sure why) but Brady loves to play with them, I don't allow him too but occassionally he gets at one before I catch him (if I am with Abby at the moment).

I don't think he eats them...as he doesn't do that...with beetles, etc, he tends to roll them around in his mouth and spit them out, watch them move and repeats the process so I assume that may be what he has done with the frogs/toads. I have noticed a couple times that he shakes his head violently (like he can't stand the taste) if he has caught one and starts foaming a bit of pink from his mouth so we have been wondering if there is a release of some sort.  We have actually wondered if it would be better just to let him learn his own lesson by deciding that he doesn't like the taste than trying to convince him not to go after the frogs ourselves (which is hugely unsuccessful when they hop in front of him!)

I have been told these are probably just tree frogs...anyone familiar with any harm from these?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Thanks for the warning - we'll be on the lookout for the little critters as there is a stream that runs behind the fence in the back yard and who know what lives there.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well Angel has joined the ranks of the "toad catchers", luckily the ones around here are harmless. I actually thought once they both tasted them that would be enuf...But nooooooooo  Angel considers it a challenge and this smart girl knows she will only see them first thing in the morning, before light..She stands at the top of the steps, surveying, waiting for movement, then flies off the steps(with me attached to her lead) and the hunt is on..Every little thing could possibly be a toad... :lol: If I am quick enuf, I do steer her away, but it's not always successful, espicially if Samson has spotted one, then they fight over it...Never kill them, just gum the things and oh yea, the toads, frogs do release something cos both of mine have to have their faces wiped off when we come back inside...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Ok, and yours are still alive obviously, so I feel better...teheheh...Maybe I will just let him learn his own little lesson then. He doesn't like learning lessons from me anyways, he thinks I am just being silly and runs in circles.  :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.