Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Too much heart on raw?

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Kaco Boxers 
#1 ·
We feed both the boys raw. What percentage of the diet can be heart. I believe this is considered muscle meat and not organ but have read too much can be harmful. Heart meat is so cheap at my farmers market - pork and beef and we can't find a cheap source of beef meat.

#4 ·
Hmm...I think he is misinformed. Heart is considered a muscle not an organ. If you look up phosphorus levels in beef heart vs those of ground grass fed beef they have very similar levels of phosphorus.

Go to any nutritional site and see for yourself. The only thing about hearts is that they are very lean so you need to make sure you are feeding some fattier cuts as well.

#5 ·
Hmm...I think he is misinformed. Heart is
considered a muscle not an organ. If you look up phosphorus levels in beef heart vs those of ground grass fed beef they have very similar levels of phosphorus.

Go to any nutritional site and see for yourself. The only thing about hearts is that they are very lean so you need to make sure you are feeding some fattier cuts as well.
Ok great thanks so much. I do need to up on the fattier meats esp with Buddha. He seems to be looking skinny again. Pork gives him the runs if fed too much and beef is too expensive (besides heart). What do you find to be fatty (weight gainer) and on the cheaper side? Thanks again

#7 ·
We feed a lot of heart too. Every meal they have has heart in it. Leave the fat cap on the hearts, that will help with your fat. I also feed cow lips which is a muscle meat. They tend to have some fat on them as well and are super cheap where I buy them. If the meat I use for us humans has too much fat, I'll cut it off and feed it to the girls. You can also ask a butcher for any extra fat they may have laying around and just give an ounce or two in their meals.

#9 ·
Thanks so much every one. I try to give all the fatty stuff to Buddha as he's the skinny one but he's also the one with the sensitive tummy and seems to get soft stools all the time!! So I have to be careful. I will see if I can find any cheap beef cuts but from what I saw there was nothing under $4/lb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.