Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! I wanted to get your opinion on Hunter please. I recently changed to Go! Sensitivity & Shine (limited ingredient turkey) from TOTW, and I think Hunter is looking skinny on the feeding guidelines? I weigh their food, and based his daily intake from the guidelines. I feed him 320 grams daily (in 2 feedings). Can you let me know what you guys think? He's already 16 months old so I don't know if this is just a skinny stage or whatnot. I'm actually also concerned this he's not "filling out"?

**Had to tie him up, I couldn't get a decent picture

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
He still has some ways to go,a solid year of growing at the least.

Feed him for your target weight,not for the weight is at;these guidelines (in my opinion) are for grown-ups that stops growing;

Thnk of it this way,a fat dog is fat because it was overfed right?

Don't forget a good amount of exercise if you go that route though

·
Registered
200 Posts
skinny

Looks fine to me also,still a lot or growing to do.Just watch him weigh him maybe 1 or 2 times a week to see if he is gaining weight or staying the same.If he staying the same ,you might want to add a little more food.Just don't add a lot at a time. We did this with Fritz ,until he was at good weight.All dogs are different,some gain weight fast some slow.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
He looks good so no he's not skinny. In general two to three years is the time frame for full maturity.

Typically for males 70 to 75 lbs ... (non Euros) you need to weight him ... most likely he will be heavier than he looks ... muscle weights more than fat.

In broad terms ... keep an eye on his chest and his weigh. You have a big chest, tiny waist guy. It he waist starts to disappear then he would be bordering on fat ... which is not the case here.

If you want to feed him more to make you feel better. :)

You can give extra portions of "Kibble" as treats throughout the day. If you weight him routinely ... then you'll have a guide line to go by ... to which weight to soon and your over doing it.

I tend to think the guide lines on the bags are kinda "Insane???" My GSD is an Over Size WL GSD out of spec which would be 75 lbs. He was 116 at the two year mark. He got up to 121 lb at one point ... and I freaked!! Today he is pretty much in the 112 to 116 lbs range. I feed him weight less than the guidelines and supplement with treats and weight in's.

If you look at the guide lines for dogs over 100 lbs ... the quantities are uh ..."insane!" Rocky gets a couple handfuls of kibble in the morning and treats throughout, the day and two cups and a portion of canned in the evenings, and he is still "112 lbs" ... :)

My Struddell (White Boxer) was deceptively heavy. Looking at her ... most would say 50 to 55 lbs??She had a deep chest and tiny waist and weighted in at a solid 65 lbs! She was solid muscle and at the time I free feed. That changed when I added my GSD ... but that's another story.

But I think it sounds like your just concerned that he is hungry all the time?? Use your eyes and a scale and your judgement. If he gets opportunity to run free at tops speed on a routine basis?? The he is burning off "extra calories." :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you for your input guys. will follow your tips and weigh him more often and ill add little by little.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts