Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they sell tooth paste for dogs, and the vet told us about it.  Without remembering my fiance brushed our puppies teeth with our regular toothpaste.  How sick is this going to make him?  She said she only used a tiny bit of toothpaste.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Not sure, but someone will know.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess only a very small amount.  Enough to brush puppy teeth?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Called the vet.  They said he should be ok.  Might give him some diarreha.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
My vet gave us a sample of Virbac Enzymatic Toothpaste  (Poultry Flavour) and toothbrush for Sophie and Kane and they really love it.  Don't know what human toothpaste would do - but mine love their doggie toothpaste!!!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Yeah Oggie loves the chicken toothpaste.  He licks it up so much, he doesn't even realize I'm trying to brush his teeth.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Our dog Buster..who is an Italian greyhound /beagle mix had been exposed to human toothpaste...it gave him a severe fever, horrible muscle aches...and made him really really sick...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yeah I just got some toothpaste from our vet...Beckham thinks it's a treat and tries to eat my finger while I'm brushing his teeth.  He loves it, I've also heard that dogs/puppies love the vanilla mint flavored pet toothpaste?  Never tried it myself.
When I'm brushing my teeth before bed (while sitting on my bed) Beckham pops a squat right in front of me, looks at me with his big brown eyes and then will 'shake' my forearm until i rub some toothpaste on his nose.  He loves it and always tries to get some from me.  I never give him more than a tiny itty bitty streak on his nose and so far no issues, but I guess I better stop if it could make him sick.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
A small amount should not hurt.  Possible upset stomach.  A larger amount can make them very sick, they can not handle the flouride that is in human toothpaste. You did not say when it was done but if it has been more then 24 hours and the pup is not feeling bad you should be okay....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update. He is fine.  Did not make him sick at all.  Thanks for all the feedback!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
That's great news...Stick with the doggie toothpaste, my 2 love it.Ours is peanut butter flavored.. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts