Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as you all know my last post was in regards to neutering an older dog as i was going to adopt a 3 year old boxer male. However the people decided to keep him as he was such a great boy! very upsetting and disappointing. but i applied for a dog on the njboxerrescue website and they have moved my file to assign a home visit which is definately good news!! the foster moms write up was as that "Duke" is a great dog and has been around several smaller dogs which he is fine with" however when you reprimand him he quietly growls does not show teeth and tail is still waggy that he is not being aggressive just back talking" should i be concerned with this? also in his previous home he was know as "top dog" another thing, should i be concerend with? only due to the fact that i do have a smaller dog at home who is so used to getting baby-ed but Duke is also supposed to be great around small dogs but not big ones they say when he sees a big dog he comes our snarling. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Any dog that shows any kind of snarling, growling,  or agression toward any dog reguardless of size I would be a little worried about. Why did he previous owners surrender him to a rescue? Could it be an aggression problem!!! There are plenty of dogs, especially boxers at  rescues that are looking for a loving home that don't have these issues, why ask for trouble.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Advice from a pro trainer and dog behaviorist:

You should consult with a behaviorist in your area in regards to this situation.  No one on this forum will be able to give you the answer you're looking for, to include me.  

However, in your situation, I would take him, as the foster mum says he's good with small dogs and just be prepared to go through some kind of formal training with him AND work with a behaviorist to give him the best shot at success possible...But, I LOVE a challenge!!!!!

Other dog aggression is something that cannot be "cured", but it can be controlled and maintained.

Working with a behaviorist and going through PRIVATE, IN-HOME TRAINING, can help you set you and your "other dog aggressive" dog up for success in life.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Seems to me backtalking in general is a symptom of a dog testing the owner.  If the owner doesn't respond with authority, the dog will continue to do it to get out of whatever behavior they don't want to do.  A dominant owner who uses consistency in corrections should be able to fix that in time.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Being "Top Dog" doesn't mean anything bad really..And it sounds like your smaller dog is more of a submissive anyways as he likes to be babied...I do agree with Liz, it would be very helpful to have a behaviorist come in and monitor interactions, to see if there is any cause for concern..To me, it doesn't sound like that much of an issue, so I'd go forward and see what happens....Keep in mind something else as well...Boxers are empaths, and he very well could have been picking up all the hostilities regarding the divorce, now he's in a strange place and could be a bit confused as well.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The foster mother just emailed me that there was a gentleman who was supposed to go and see Duke this week but had to cancel due to work. so he is coming on Sunday, if they are a match he gets him, if not it is my turn. However, if he cancels again, then he is out. lets keep our fingers croseed.

Otherwise the foseter mom said she will due her best to find a perfect match for our family. I will keep you posted.  :?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts