Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Riddick our 4 year old tore his ACL and is having the TPLO surgery next Tuesday. Has anyone here had this surgery done? Was it successful?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hello Riddick our 4 year old tore his ACL and is having the TPLO surgery next Tuesday. Has anyone here had this surgery done? Was it successful?
I have not, but I have a friend who had it done on one of her setters. It's pretty common per what I've read and seen. I hope all goes well for Riddick!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Poor Boy! I live in fear of knee injuries one of my previous girls did a slight tear in her knee and thank goodness it healed well with rest and phycsical therapy. It will take your boy some time to recover with therapy but I have heard of dogs doing well afterwards but I have heard that once you have one knee done the other will need to be done as well I hope that is not true. Good luck to your boy I hope that he heals well and recovers quickly

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure what TPLO surgery is, but our Jaxon tore his ACL. We had a decision between two surgeries, one which would grind the bone and keep him immobile for weeks to heal, and one that basically wired things together (been years, now, so forgive the foggy memory). We chose the latter -- could be done in our community and was far less expensive, but mostly we didn't want to cage him for the time it would take to heal. Wrapped from toe to hip -- stiff legged and hard for him to go potty in the ice and snow -- but he healed well. He was 4 or 5 when it happened, and lived to be 9 (brain cancer) and did very well after the surgery. Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a boxer that tore her ACL and had TPLO surgery done. The surgery went great. The surgeon told me that it is VERY important to follow the very rigid activity rules and restrictions during the recovery period (which is about 12 weeks). He said if she damages that leg after surgery, he won't be working to repair the surgery, but rather working to SAVE THE LEG. Even when she starts feeling better and wanting to run... it is very important to not let her until that leg is healed. Just so you know.....it is very common that if they have one ACL tear, they are highly likely to tear the other one. My Jazzie tore her other ACL 4 weeks after the surgery on the first one. She had to have surgery again (TPLO) on the other side. After she recovered from the 2nd one.... she could run, jump and play just as hard as she did before the surgery. Your baby will do great and soon will be running around again like nothing even happened. But, please follow the activity restrictions so she heals correctly. Good Luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts