Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, our eight year old male boxer “Sox” has a torn ligament on his knee. And because he has congestive heart failure he cannot have surgery. We have been looking into knee braces and I am a bit overwhelmed by all the knee braces out there. If anyone can help recommend I need brace because he’s in pain and is limping all the time. The veterinarian prescribed tramadol which we do give him once in a while but I could also use a recommendation for an anti-inflammatory. Also, Would you recommend heat or ice. It’s pretty swollen. Thank you so much, Mary Heisler

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Oh man I am sorry to hear this. :)

But generally speaking and as far as I can remember? When a soft tissue injury first happens. You want to use "ice," to prevent swelling? And after that ... you want to use a "Heating Pad."

If it has been day's ... I would go with the "Tramadol and a "Heating Pad," on low and see if that helps? :)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I have been thru this before unfortunately there are therapy’s out there than can help your dog. Just keep in mind this is going to take at least 6 months to heal. I used medicam once a day for inflammation make sure this is given at a meal time it can cause stomach upset he should stop limping in about a week with this don’t use it any longer than you have to if your vet approves it. Leash walking is important right now no jumping on furniture or beds cars he should be lifted into. There is physical therapy too there is a thing called shockwave therapy and laser therapy both of these things are beneficial to healing so I would suggest asking your vet if they know of any practices that Offer animal rehab. When it’s quiet at home you can do ice pack for about 20 minutes and do heat on low for the same amount of time, massage helps too be gentle you can extend the leg as much as he will allow and massage at the same time. This can heal with care make sure all these therapies are approved by your vet first as they are more familiar with his heart status but don’t give up the most important thing is keep him quiet no running jumping quick stop and start no pulling on the leash I know it sounds hard but it can be done

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

But generally speaking and as far as I can remember? When a soft tissue injury first happens. You want to use "ice," to prevent swelling? And after that ... you want to use a "Heating Pad."

If it has been day's ... I would go with the "Tramadol and a "Heating Pad," on low and see if that helps? :)
T

Thank you so much!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts