Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The TOTW feeding guide goes from 8-12 months to Adult dogs, I don't consider Dodger to be an adult dog at just over 12 months and the feeding guide drops by 1 cup.

He already acts like he's starving at 4-4.5 cups per day and I don't feel right dropping his intake that drastically; on the other hand I don't want him becoming overweight either.

My understanding is that boxers don't reach their full growth until 18 months-2 years, should I just stay with the 8-12 month feeding guide until then?

Anybody have any opinions or suggestions? Thank you in advance for the help!!

Here's a pic from last week to give you an idea of his weight right now:
View attachment 18055

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
You know your dog better than anyone else... I say do what you think is best. It depends on his height, weight, and energy level how much he needs without getting overweight, so those guidelines are just an estimate. If you think he needs more, I'd give him more... if he starts gaining too much weight, cut back some :)

·
Registered
834 Posts
I feed the same and Kona is up to 6 cups a day plus broccoli stumps and carrots..he is 8 months and 54 pounds...has been checked for worms..none
I free feed until 6 pm then I take his dish up...he is growing and playing and I guess he obviously needs it if he is hungry.
Obviously if he started to get fat I would cut back but he is a lean mean playing machine..

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I feed the same and Kona is up to 6 cups a day plus broccoli stumps and carrots..he is 8 months and 54 pounds...has been checked for worms..none
I free feed until 6 pm then I take his dish up...he is growing and playing and I guess he obviously needs it if he is hungry.
Obviously if he started to get fat I would cut back but he is a lean mean playing machine..
Thanks!! I do 2 mealtimes with both of them, and then Daisy usually gets an extra cup or so in the evening - she's pretty scrawny & I've been trying to bulk her up; but Dodger is always there and trying to get her evening snack. Now I wonder if I should be feeding them both a bit more. They have lots of energy and look healthy so I'm not worried about that, but I do want them both to reach their full growth potential. ACK!!!

·
Registered
670 Posts
my furlings eat more if they are really having an exciting day... but on rainy days they barely touch kibble... so it really depends on activity level and their individual metabolism as well

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Because of her special needs, Karma has to be fed 4 times per day. Our other two only get fed to main meals per day. Kosmo is a big baby and would stand at his bowl and pout if he didn't get an evening snack when Karma gets her 8pm feeding. I didn't want Kosmo to get fat so I tricked him by just cutting his two daily feedings down just a bit then giving him that amount as a snack when she is fed her 8pm feeding.
He doesn't even know that I have cut back on the other two feedings and thinks he is getting his way. lol It is a win win situation :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts