Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this?

Sierra Mountain Canine Formula > Dogs > Products : Home
Sierra Mountain Canine Formula

Protein: 25% Fat: 15%
Calories: 3,611 kcal/kg (338 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy
Available in 5lb, 15lb and 30lb bags.
Ingredients
Lamb, lamb meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, peas, canola oil, potato protein, roasted lamb, tomato pomace, natural flavor, salt, choline chloride, mixed tocopherols (a natural preservative and source of vitamin E) dried chicory root, taurine, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Nope.. Didn't know it was out?? I stopped at the feed mill to get his food today and didn't notice if they had a new formula... But then again I had to take him off TOTW so I probably wasn't paying attention.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Local feed hasn't received this yet; wonder if they even know about it. Time to call for Samples!

·
Registered
17 Posts
right now Zoey is eating ProPlan chicken formula but i had gotten her Eukanuba Boxer Breed formula and she didnt really like it but she ate it and it tore her stomach up and when she has diarrhea she will not or can not hold it at all and its just days of hell cleaning up runny dog poop so im scared to switch her to this brand but i keep hearing good things about it but she seems to not be growing so well on the proplan but shes use to eating it and her stool is regular and nice and hard and easy to pick up, i thought it was a high-end food until i looked at the star rating on that website and its a 1 star food. i dont know what to do now

·
Super Moderator
7,031 Posts
Hi Ericgt79, the best way to change your puppy over is gradually. Start with 25% new food to 75% old food for a few days, then bump it to a 50/50 mix for another few days, then 75% for a few and after about 2 weeks you should be completely on the new dog food without any issues.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just picked up a bag of this today for Rocko. I've been mixing a different flavor in with the Pacific Stream everytime I need to get him food. It only costs me five bucks more to buy two 15 pound bags compared to just getting the 30 pound bag of one flavor. He's only had one bowl of the lamb/salmon mix but he dug into it like he hadn't eaten for days. So far I haven't seen any adverse reaction to mixing his food like this, so I hope he does just as well on this combo as he has done on the salmon/bison and the salmon/duck combos.

Apparently they have another flavor of cat food out also which is cool because after switching Rocko to TOTW, I switched the cats over too (I was feeding them EVO and even though they loved it and did very well on it, TOTW was cheaper and fairly equivilant in quality from what I could tell).

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
We might have to try this. We feed Pacific Stream right now but the smell of it is about to get the better of me. :sick:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Maybe its just me, but the smell of pacific stream has never bothered me. I can't smell the fishy smell at all, and I hate seafood. I can't even walk into a house where some is cooking fish, or into red lobster without gagging!

I haven't seen the lamb formula around us though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
my pups seem to be diggin it more than the pacific stream i thought i would give it a try because they totally love lamb treats.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I tried it briefly with my two babies. No go over here! They loved the switch but we had problems nearly immediately; gas, itchiness, pee smelled like skunk. It was awful.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes, I have both Bella and Brie on it. I had them Orijen first, they both had very soft cow patty stools, switched to Acana, no improvement. I then switched them to Sierra Mountain as it was lamb base as was Acana and Orijen. They have now been on it for two full months maybe three and it is great. Stools are now firm and formed and they love. Before this I was having to mix wet with dry. They now only eat Sierra Mountain Dry. They also had lots of gas with the Acana and Orijen but next to none with Sierra.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yes, we just put lacy on it about a week ago and she is doing WAY better, her eye boogers are going away, and her skin seems to not be so itchy! funny how different dogs react different ways.

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
Just ordered a sample of this, but haven't received it yet. two of their formulas are too high in protein for my two and they didn't like the Pacific Stream flavor. Hopefully they will like this. i would love to get them on grain free, but a lot of the grain free foods are either too high in protein or too expensive.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
How do you determine it's too much protien for them? I just wonder because I see that in posts often and I do feed TOTW and would like to know so I can watch out for those signs :) BTW: They sent me a nice sample package, I think it took about a week to arrive.

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
How do you determine it's too much protien for them? I just wonder because I see that in posts often and I do feed TOTW and would like to know so I can watch out for those signs :) BTW: They sent me a nice sample package, I think it took about a week to arrive.
Too much protein for my two, they were both getting UTI's, and researching online I found that for "some dogs" too much protein could contribute to UTI's. I'm sure others may have different reasons-hopefully they'll post them.

P.S. Received my Sierra Mountain samples today- I hope they like it. I would really like to have them on grain free, but it's hard to find grain free in lower protein levels and also affordable.

:)

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Thanks for the info, it helps to know what to look for. Mine have seemed fine with the switch to TOTW so hopefully it stays that way.

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
Thanks for the info, it helps to know what to look for. Mine have seemed fine with the switch to TOTW so hopefully it stays that way.

That's great! Glad they are doing well on it!! If mine didn't haven't the UTI's I would of never switched them off it. They both loved the flavor and had nice firm stools. They even started to put on a little much needed weight. I'm hoping they like the new flavor so I can switch them back. :)

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Both my pups were switched to it! They are doing awesome on it now...they were on Pacific Stream and both had soft stools and believe it or not being a "fish based" food the omega 3s are a little low(the duck formula has more in it) and my dogs coats dried out like no other lol when you pet them it looks like it starts snowing! Its starting to clear up now that they are on the lamb

1 - 20 of 20 Posts