Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure a lot of you knew this already. I am posting for those who do not. I rec'd this in an email and wanted to pass along.


This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday.

He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM. I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but....

Anyways, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give IV fluids at 1 = times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and s tarted the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN
was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids.
At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care.

He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control
his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again,
his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated! and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to euthanize.

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to
immediate concern.

Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville , Ohio

Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,306 Posts
Very good information that we all should be aware of...Thanks for sharing
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Thanks for posting this.  I personally received an email stating this today.  If not for the email, I never would have known.  Great post and again thanks for the information
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,306 Posts
I got that e-mail as well....Wouldn't think that a little ole raisin could be that deadly
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I had heard that raisins and grapes were bad for dogs, but that they could be that severe.

My mother in law watches our dogs sometimes because she gets home from work before we do.

One day she was outside with Binga and was feeding her something.  My husband asked her what Binga was eating and she said, "oh grapes..  Binga loves them."   My husband about flipped!  She didn't know any better, but she was asked not to feed the dogs ANYTHING, but their dog food.   :roll:

Thank you for posting this.  Good information.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
There are a lot of things you shouldn't feed your dogs:
1. raisins
2. grapes
3. chocolate
4. onion
5. garlic
6. the green parts of tomato plants are toxic
7. macadamia nuts
8. mushrooms
9. caffeine
there are others like yeast dough, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,466 Posts
JettaAndOscar\";p=\"86534 said:
There are a lot of things you shouldn't feed your dogs:

5. garlic
I remember seeing on here that several people use garlic as a flea preventative.... is it not fed to them? how does it work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
Garlic is not as toxic as onions, but in large enough doses (quite large I believe) it can damage red blood cells, leading to anemia.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,306 Posts
maplesfolks\";p=\"86535 said:
[quote="JettaAndOscar\";p=\"86534":2811e49m]There are a lot of things you shouldn't feed your dogs:

5. garlic
I remember seeing on here that several people use garlic as a flea preventative.... is it not fed to them? how does it work?[/quote:2811e49m]

In small dosages garlic is ok. I give 1/2 teaspoon to each of mine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
Small doses shouldn't hurt, but large doses their red blood cells can burst =(
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top