Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here tried tracking with your boxer/s?

It's strongly recommended. Why? Because the boxer is - actually - a wizard of scents, and the result is a satisfied dog, and - maybe - a satisfied owner.

I do use my boxers for tracking a couple of times a week, it's also the only way to keep them calm for a longer period. :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Guess that explains why when I took Zoe to the dog park all she was interested in was sniffing the ground all over the place at the park, the heck with the other dogs for the most part :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's easy to make them interested in tracks, but it also takes a lot of time and some patience. The hardest part, in my opinion, is to make them keep their noses down. This task could possibly be easier for dogs with longer noses.

But you really learn to read and trust your dog with this activity!

My male dog has some problems with sticking to human footprints and smells if there are smells of animals, due to his prey drive. A fox, moose or even a bear is preferred. :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Has anyone here tried tracking with your boxer/s?

It's strongly recommended. Why? Because the boxer is - actually - a wizard of scents, and the result is a satisfied dog, and - maybe - a satisfied owner.

I do use my boxers for tracking a couple of times a week, it's also the only way to keep them calm for a longer period. :)
Did you teach them yourself?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Did you teach them yourself?
I did it with a few other with boxer owners that lives nearby.

I was going to write som how to, but then I found this on YouTube that explains the IPO or Schutzhund tracking very well. This method gives good precision, and its quite easy to move on to urban areas, floors and so on.

Later, when the dog "gets it", you remove some of the treats in the footprints, but keeps some to keep the expectations up.

Attachment: Jawa, 4 months old.

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
I did it with a few other with boxer owners that lives nearby.

I was going to write som how to, but then I found this on YouTube that explains the IPO or Schutzhund tracking very well. This method gives good precision, and its quite easy to move on to urban areas, floors and so on.

Beginning Tracking Schutzhund Training.wmv - YouTube

Later, when the dog "gets it", you remove some of the treats in the footprints, but keeps some to keep the expectations up.

Attachment: Jawa, 4 months old.

Cool thank! Im going to try it with Porsha!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts