Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our dog trainer last night at class switched Max to a prong collar after my wife explained the previous weeks episodes at home towards her. I have her primarrily training Max at class to build up his obeying her as I am not home that often.

Its really hard for her to do anything with Max when I am around as Max still is seeking my approval to to listen to her. He looks at over to me when she is working on sit stay all that good stuff.
I can not go to training class because he just wants to look at me when she gives him comands having no focus towards her.

Max is almost 12 months this month and not nuetered as of yet. Any thoughts on if this midevil looking collar will help. I myself have never had a dog that the collar was needed and not a big fan of them just by how they look.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
I'm pretty much the "tool" free guy! I train with a "Slip Lead leash"

http://www.boxerforums.com/1736170-post12.html

But that takes time and since you said that seems to be an issue for you, next best thing is hire a trainer. It sounds like you have found a "Balanced Trainer" and that is a trainer that will be best equipped to "train your dog."

I don't use a prong either but that is because of mistakes I've made in the past. :( IF a trainer does something with your dog that your uncomfortable with "just say NO" and move on!

But...if the only issue is your "perception" of what a Prong collar is or does, then these can help. :)

Not tutorials on how to use a prong collar but good guide lines on what you should see.
Learn To Train The Good Dog Way: The Walk - The Good Dog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrrQJto8xJU

And he did find a hard core dog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH9HbeeEQC8

If your trainer works like that, then you don't have a problem! Pros don't have time to screw around with a dog, when they "know" how to properly "fix" a dog quickly! I'm not a pro, I'm not in a hurry so the "process" of "loose leash training works fine for me and that's what I advocate! :)

But this you or your better half can train or I guess you could have your trainer show you: "The Place Command"

http://www.boxerforums.com/1741938-post15.html

Hope that helps put you at ease with your trainers choice of tools??

·
Registered
236 Posts
Should be a easy fix.
For the next month, remove Max's bowl. Stick it in a cabinet and leave it there for a month. No free feeding.
Any food he gets, he gets from your wife's hand.
He has to earn every meal. Ask him to sit, as soon as his butt hits the ground you reward with food. Ask him to down, as soon as elbows are on the ground, reward with food, same with wait. etc.... It will only take 10-15 min. Split his total days meal up into 4-5 sections. Then do 4 or 5, 10-15 min. training sessions. With a few days he will be completely focus on you wife.
If any of the doesn't make since, just PM me.

The prong isn't a big deal as long as it's used correctly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A prong (get a good one, Sprenger!) worked very well for my Burtess when we had him. We had him in classes at around 8 months and that's where we learned how to use it. As long as you are taught the proper way to use the prong it is actually quite a gentle training device. You don't "correct" with it... the dog does this to himself. You hold it low guided in your left hand. Ours was transformed into quite a gentleman very quickly using this method.
And don't be phased by onlookers if they gawk or make any comments... just ignore and keep walking!
Burt :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
I am currently working with a trainer who uses a prong collar. Bailey is 2 years old and she was attacked in puppy training class by 2 German Shepards while she was on a leash. Ever since that day she has leash anxiety that has gotten worse. Every time she sees another dog while she is on a leash she tries to attack them. 2 weeks ago we hired a trainer to help us with her anxiety and the difference is so noticeable. She is calmer during a walk and is she doesn't bark, growl or lunge when we see another dog. She still has a way to go but at least our walks are less anxious.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
I am currently working with a trainer who uses a prong collar. Bailey is 2 years old and she was attacked in puppy training class by 2 German Shepards while she was on a leash. Ever since that day she has leash anxiety that has gotten worse. Every time she sees another dog while she is on a leash she tries to attack them. 2 weeks ago we hired a trainer to help us with her anxiety and the difference is so noticeable. She is calmer during a walk and is she doesn't bark, growl or lunge when we see another dog. She still has a way to go but at least our walks are less anxious.
Yeah that's kinda of the "cautionary" part of "puppy training" classes!

That should not have happened!!

You and your dog were put in a bad situation...not your fault but your number one job is "protect your dog." You can't depend on other people to do that for you!

As a companion to a GSD, I extend "our" apologies for those dogs behaviour! :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks Chip18!!! I did protect her. Thankfully she didn't get bit or hurt, just very scared. Her leash anxiety has progressively gotten worse. She is responding very well to the prong collar and the training. :):thumbup::)

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Thanks Chip18!!! I did protect her. Thankfully she didn't get bit or hurt, just very scared. Her leash anxiety has progressively gotten worse. She is responding very well to the prong collar and the training. :):thumbup::)
That is great to hear!

It's not a given, someone on the GSD Forum said it's not his job to protect his dog it's there job to protect him...that did not set to well with me! He and I have "issues" on that one! We got a thread locked just recently....mods hit the e collars! Everybody down stay!!:chair:

Your seeing good results from your girl it seems! To me that says that even thought she did get flack she "knew" you had her back!!! :)

I finally started my own thread, a lot of things I think folks should know can be found here:

http://www.boxerforums.com/training/171489-training-management-leadership.html

And once again good job! :)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
All the AKC puppy classes I've been in with my Boxers want them on a choke from day one! Even basic obedience class is pushing the choke collars. Can you imagine how traumatic it would be for a young dog in a small arena (scent and smell) to also have to put up with being popped by the neck, not knowing what you want from them.

I'd find a smaller class setting with just a couple other dogs.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Our trainer also put Kai in a prong collar after instructing on proper use. He is a very good walker, seldom if ever pulls. He does still need correction from time to time when he gets excited over seeing someone or something but he pretty much auto corrects, LOL. He is still a work in progress. He graduated his 1st session, I'm looking for another now but I think this time I want the distraction of other dogs. We shall see

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
All the AKC puppy classes I've been in with my Boxers want them on a choke from day one! Even basic obedience class is pushing the choke collars. Can you imagine how traumatic it would be for a young dog in a small arena (scent and smell) to also have to put up with being popped by the neck, not knowing what you want from them.

I'd find a smaller class setting with just a couple other dogs.
A choke is a little bit to "old School."

Struddell did have one but only because I thought they "looked" cool. In recent times I don't "think" anyone believes they are a good idea anymore??

Despite it's "appearance" a prong collar is a much better safer and more human tool...when used with proper education or instruction.

And yep smaller class size. Did not know the AKC was "pushing" choke chains??

·
Registered
236 Posts
A choke is a little bit to "old School."

Struddell did have one but only because I thought they "looked" cool. In recent times I don't "think" anyone believes they are a good idea anymore??

Despite it's "appearance" a prong collar is a much better safer and more human tool...when used with proper education or instruction.

And yep smaller class size. Did not know the AKC was "pushing" choke chains??
While I understand what your saying, I can't help but point out that your a supporter of slip leads.... In reality both a slip lead and a slip collar/choke chain can be used the exact same way.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
While I understand what your saying, I can't help but point out
Well you probably could...but you didn't. :)

that you're a supporter of slip leads.... In reality both a slip lead and a slip collar/choke chain can be used the exact same way.
True but I learned to train a dog to walk on a loose leash this way:

http://www.boxerforums.com/1736170-post12.html

And that skill set allows "me" to walk any dog with any tool around there neck. I had to improvise one day with a "door dasher" in my front yard. I managed to get her and had no time to get a leash! I had a jump rope at hand, wrapped it around her and we marched down the street to her home without issue.

I doubt that dog knew what a leash was?? As ,I do it there is "close to zero" pressure on the dogs neck. If they go out in front, I stop moving and wait for the dog to stop doing whatever it is they're doing... "I" say "nothing" I just wait. Most of the time the dog stops and then sits and then we proceed along.

The first time I ever used a Slip lead was at Boxer rescue, with a dog said to be a puller!Yeah right. :)

I did draw the wrong conclusion from that experience, I "assumed" the dog walked beautifully for me "because" I used the Slip lead!

But no, it was "me" not the tool! As soon as I handed that exact same dog off with the same Slip lead I had just used! That dog ran off dragging his handler in tow!:chair:

"Any" tool can be abused, learning to drive a car is alot harder than training a dog to walk to walk properly on a loose leash. I "assume" folks are capable of using common sense.

But I'm not that "special" if I can do it anybody can! For those that can't, Petcos are everywhere, they can go buy an E z walk or "whatever" and let their dog plow away, a "harness" won't "choke" them! It would not be a dog I would ever trust myself but it's a free country. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have used a choke chain in the past, very little with Max. When we started training at 3 months food was the prefered method at a the facility my wife chose. Was pretty certian was not going to work as Max is a very dominant male. Went along with my wifes decision Max did graduate basic at that place.
We kept up with the training and had an eposide with him chasing cars after he got out of the yard. At that time I went back to my first proposed choice as a trainer.
Max orignally was put in a thin shoelace baby choke collar that sits high on the neck. Exactly the same as a slip leash.
We were given private lessons by our trainer as Max is a Punk as he put it.The lessons were for his basic classes now that we are done we are in a novice class with a group.
A typical adolecent large male boxer with no care for what my wife says. Only listening to males for direction which is the reason she has been primarilly training Max at class.

Was not untill this week he was placed into the prong collar due to him not obeying her commands and biting her causing havoc in the house. Yes Max is exercised until he passes out. His biggest problem is inconsistancy and not focusing on her when I am around and she is working with him.

Hence why I will not go to class with them and only step in while at home if nessary. Well aware his nonsense in my presence is for my approval and showing off for me to correct him.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
I think everyone must use what works for them and their dog be it a choke collar, slip or a prong. We didn't have any real bad issues with Kai but the prong is what his trainer uses so we went with that. Kai so far is a pretty easy guy so far . But he hasn't really hit the teenage years so I'm preparing LOL

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
I think everyone must use what works for them and their dog be it a choke collar, slip or a prong. We didn't have any real bad issues with Kai but the prong is what his trainer uses so we went with that. Kai so far is a pretty easy guy so far . But he hasn't really hit the teenage years so I'm preparing LOL
Amazing enough the prong is not at issue.

Most pros use them right out the gate! They don't screw around when they understand there is a tool that can use to retool a dog quickly!

My only experiences with a prong were negative, today I understand what I did wrong. Had I followed back then the advice I give today..."understand what your doing or hire someone to teach you." I would not have had issues with my use of a prong collar. :)

I only provided the info on "prong collars" because the question was asked. The OP was concerned about the use of that particular tool.

Now he knows at least, how it should be used! :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have used a choke chain in the past, very little with Max. When we started training at 3 months food was the prefered method at a the facility my wife chose. Was pretty certian was not going to work as Max is a very dominant male. Went along with my wifes decision Max did graduate basic at that place.
We kept up with the training and had an eposide with him chasing cars after he got out of the yard. At that time I went back to my first proposed choice as a trainer.
Max orignally was put in a thin shoelace baby choke collar that sits high on the neck. Exactly the same as a slip leash.
We were given private lessons by our trainer as Max is a Punk as he put it.The lessons were for his basic classes now that we are done we are in a novice class with a group.
A typical adolecent large male boxer with no care for what my wife says. Only listening to males for direction which is the reason she has been primarilly training Max at class.

Was not untill this week he was placed into the prong collar due to him not obeying her commands and biting her causing havoc in the house. Yes Max is exercised until he passes out. His biggest problem is inconsistancy and not focusing on her when I am around and she is working with him.

Hence why I will not go to class with them and only step in while at home if nesessary. Well aware his nonsense in my presence is for my approval and showing off for me to correct him.

The food will still work to get him to focus on your wife and not you.
If your wife becomes the only source of food, he will do what she ask.
Do this everyday inside your home. It will hammer home the bond between your wife and him. If he doesn't want to listen, he doesn't eat.
In a low distraction setting like your house, it will work and work fast.
If you have a dog that gets really juiced with distraction like working out side and won't take food, that's fine, put it away. and remove the dog to a distance he will focus back on your wife.

The prong should work fine but it sounds like your trainer is correct, your dog is a punk / pushy / a bully. That correction is better addressed by leadership.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I posted earlier about AKC instructors recommending a choke collar. I want to advise they it was a "prong" collar recommended. Sorry. The prong collars they usually sold at AKC classes had a way to POP the prong if the owner perceived non-compliance on the dog's part. I wonder why instructors recommend any type of collar for dogs in their classes. I'm not into AKC classes. Often they are crowded, and a sensory overload for young dogs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I posted earlier about AKC instructors recommending a choke collar. I want to advise they it was a "prong" collar recommended. Sorry. The prong collars they usually sold at AKC classes had a way to POP the prong if the owner perceived non-compliance on the dog's part. I wonder why instructors recommend any type of collar for dogs in their classes. I'm not into AKC classes. Often they are crowded, and a sensory overload for young dogs.
Whoever is training in these classes to "pop" a prong is totally wrong. You hold the lead low and in line with the collar of the dog, and the dog will do its own correction. There is no need to apply any "pop" or extra pressure or to apply upward tension on the prong collar.

It is a very effective tool when used properly, but as with many other things can be used wrong with less than desirable results.

Burt :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts