Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
I started using a prong (Sprenger) collar with Rocco when he was young. It is important that it fits correctly and that your trainer helps you use it correctly.

I will say that it definitely works with my dog. He knows when he has that collar on that I mean business and I rarely have to use it to correct him now. If I don't put it on him he acts a fool!

Do what works for you and your dog. Have an open mind. There will always be someone who won't agree. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
I posted earlier about AKC instructors recommending a choke collar. I want to advise they it was a "prong" collar recommended. Sorry. The prong collars they usually sold at AKC classes had a way to POP the prong if the owner perceived non-compliance on the dog's part. I wonder why instructors recommend any type of collar for dogs in their classes. I'm not into AKC classes. Often they are crowded, and a sensory overload for young dogs.
Thanks for the clarification! :)

And yes generally speaking a large classcan be just as overwhelming for the dogs handler as it is for the dog!

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Whoever is training in these classes to "pop" a prong is totally wrong. You hold the lead low and in line with the collar of the dog, and the dog will do its own correction. There is no need to apply any "pop" or extra pressure or to apply upward tension on the prong collar.

It is a very effective tool when used properly, but as with many other things can be used wrong with less than desirable results.

Burt :)
No disagreement here. :)

·
Banned
21 Posts
But that takes time and since you said that seems to be an issue for you, next best thing is hire a trainer. It sounds like you have found a "Balanced Trainer" and that is a trainer that will be best equipped to "train your dog."

21 - 26 of 26 Posts