Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I am new to the boxer forum.  I just got a boxer pup a month ago and is a beautiful boy, I named him Apollo.  He is 2 months old.  But I am having a hard time training him to go to the door  and go to the bathroom outside.  I do have another dog she is a lab/boxer mix (Koda) 10 months old and she was so easy to potty train. Apollo pees and poops everywhere, even if he has just been outside.  I watch his water intake, especially at night.  But, I don't know what else to do.  I also would like to crate train him but he absolutely hates the crate.  It is big enough for him, he has a little blanket and toys inside, I give him treats when he go inside the crate, but he doesn't eat them.  He has gotten out of the crate but moving it, I had to start putting something heavy on top of the crate so he couldn't get out.  I guess I just need some hints on how to train him to be a good boy.  Does anyone know what I should do about these problems??

Bobbi :?

Ps: I am not sure how to use the forum yet so if I mess something up just let me know.  Pictures are coming soon of Mr. Apollo Cash once I figure out how to put them on here.   :lol:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Welcome to the forum...

How long has your puppy been in training?  Two-months old is really when he should first be in your home (at 8-weeks), so you shouldn't expect him to be fully potty-trained and crate-trained overnight... Just give your puppy time... these things don't occur overnight.

Our Odin is four months old now and is just now getting used to his crate... he use to HATE being in the crate... he'd whine, moan, complain, cry and tear-up anything in his crate for the first four to six weeks we had him.  We went though a lot of bedding before he calmed down.  Try moving the crate to a place where he can see the family and/or turn-on the TV or radio in earshot/sight of your boxer while gone... the sight/sound of humans might help sooth your boxer while you are gone... it's preferable to such a social dog over complete silence when you're not home.

On potty training... same thing... he's slowly getting better, but once-again, don't expect a two-month old Boxer to be mostly trained... he's just starting!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum....For uploading pics, most of us use Photobucket to store and then move the images here...I'll send you a PM with step by step instructions....

Potty training takes a lot of time & a lot of patience...Generally you can figure until he's 6 mos, you need to keep a close eye on him...It takes awhile!! Apollo is only 8 wks, which is generally when most breeders allow their pups to go, so he's a baby!! And will make a lot of mistakes...If you have carpet, buy the biggest thing of Nature's Miracle you can find. It totally removes all scent from your carpet, which will keep from having repeat accidents(hopefully) in the same spot. When he has an accident, unless you actually catch him in the act, it will do no good to scold, a pup especially will not understand..Just mumble to yourself and clean up the mess...Take the paper towel you used outside and leave it in the spot that you want Apollo to use and keep returning to that same spot. Rule of thumb for a pup at that age, take him out about every half hour or so..

Crate training also takes time. Make sure he isn't crated as a punishment. Make it a fun place(sounds like you have). Try leaving the door open, just put some toys in and if he goes in, don't close the door! Let him know that the crate isn't a bad thing..Most dogs will get used to it in time and use it as a place to "get away". If he's getting out by moving the crate, you might need a different type of crate or get a small lock to put on it..Samson escaped from the wire crate that i bought him, so I went back and got a different type, but he's an adult, the crate I bought him I wouldn't recomend for a pup...They need to see out and feel secure. I agree with what OdinsDad said, place the crate where Apollo can see what's going on. A lot of people like to keep it in their bedroom, but that doesn't always work depending on how you are with space. Baby gates also work for some people, if you are able to block off a couple rooms fo rhim to be in esp if you are there also...

Hope this was some help and feel free to ask as many questions as you need, that's why we are here...You might want to read thru our puppy section, there is a ton of good info in there and also the training section too....

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Diesel is having the same problem, he'll go outside, then come back in, and have an accident. It just takes time for them to learn that outside is the ONLY place to go potty.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Something else you may be able to look forward to...

Once your pup gets out of the "I'm an airhead and have NO idea that you're talking about" stage...your older dog may help with potty training.  
Everytime I have had a pup with an older dog...the older dog "showed" the pup the ropes about proper  "you're not getting me in trouble" behavior.  An older dog can help with general training as well.  Some dogs learn even better by watching and immitating another dog performing trained behaviors.

Just an FYI....

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That you everyone for the help.  I got Apollo's age wrong, he is 3 months.  I guess my older dog was so easy to train that I figured Apollo would be also.  But I will try some of your suggestions and see if they help.  Both of my dogs dig alot, what can I do to stop the digging outside?  Oh and I figured out how to make an album, so I put some pics of my babies in one on here.

***Bobbi***

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
ahh the joys of house breaking! i am going nuts over it as well, but its ok i love my girls! Savannah has regressed since we got Reese so now i am re-training 2 dogs!!  haha :D the one thing i can offer is get your pup on an eating schedule, and keep consistent the times he goes out. The more consistent he is the better chance you have at training. this evening i fed my girls when i got home, turned my back to put the dog food back in the closet and by the time i turned around Reese (5 months old) had already went on the carpet both pee and poo!! i was so confused for a second, then irritated, so i cleaned it up and took her out with Savannah (2yr) and she went even more out side!! at that point i was amazed!! good luck!

·
Registered
948 Posts
I actually love housebreaking! I love challenges though so I just take it all and smile!  :D

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I have noticed with Reese if she is in the kennel by herself she has no problem going to the bathroom inthe kennel, even with the divider up to make the kennel just big enough for her to laydown. If she is kenneled with Savannah she will not go to the restroom. that is the frustrating part for me. i cant understand why she doesnt do the same thing in her own kennel!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Welcome...

My girl, Roxy, was actually very easy to housetrain.  I got her at 3 months old and she was house-broken and crate trained at 4 months.  She also grew up with my mother's two older dogs that were never housetrained and used to "pee" and "poop" everywhere.  Roxy never once followed what they did.  (I think she knew they were a bad influence).  I agree with everyone else though.  Some dogs learn quicker than others but it does take some time.  Try to put Apollo on a regular feeding schedule and also try to take him out the same times everyday so he'll eventually learn that it's "potty time".  Good luck with everything and keep us posted.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Flutterby\";p=\"11439 said:
I actually love housebreaking! I love challenges though so I just take it all and smile!  :D
You're crazy... Odin is driving us nuts on the housetraining... but if you like that sort of thing, you're more then welcome to come to Florida and house train Odin!

·
Registered
948 Posts
LOL Sure! I'll do it! Putting housetraining work into it makes owning a dog all the more rewarding and makes me feel like I have a responsibility (I do.. but you know!)  :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts