Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we started to train ajax before he starts his classes because it will take him longer to learn being that we think he is deaf.  We love him no matter what....
We have Attila's graduation on tuesday this week and so we are cramming him with different commands only for about 10-15 minutes then wait in hour or so.  The wife just ran to get more treats.

Before she left I tried sit with Ajax and he got it on the second try and then did that about 10more times and then moved on to down he got that on his first try and does it really well.  Being that we think he is deaf we are just using distinctive hand signals and barely any treat.

will post video later if camcorder wants to work.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Great to see you still around!
Good to hear that Ajax is starting to pick up on commands! Would love to see him in action!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
How is it going with Daphne? Any better? I know when we first got Lucy, she tore up Sam's cheeks pretty good. I just kept putting neosporin on both of them. They were pretty rough with each other even though she was still small. Now though they still play rough but no marks on either one.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shes not giving up her ALPHA status but they are still playing pretty ruff.  but i have two bone that keep them preoccupied right now.  And with Ajax starting to learn quickly with sit, down, leave it; i have high hopes and expectations of what can come.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
well i can tell you this..Isis is totally deaf...and came to us at 4 yrs old..neglected ,emaciated, abused and had NEVER been trrained, outside, inside, hugged,kissed,,NOTHING..jsut lived 24/7 in a concrete outside cage...

we never did formal deafy training with her..we taught her sit,stay,laydown,come,shake,go get it,and go out...and now shes my sons autism service dog...

Isis was 4 yrs old and 17 pounds emaciated when she came home to us...shes 84 pounds now..to give oyu an idea how bad off she was..

SHE IS AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

being deaf really doesnt bother them as much as it seems to both the humans that love them..they dont know the difference..and the best thing for Isis has been she cant hear so she has NO distractions !! she keeps her eyes on the task and is extremely alert at whats going on around her...she watches the windows and the outside gates...positions herself on the couches to be able to SEE the gates to our yard...so shes taught herself to protect her family without hearing things..she just watches...

itll be fine...Ajax will learn to adjust and use his family for cues..also..some deafys tend to be nervous...hes only been with you a short time...he just needs to know without a doubt that hes safe and that no ones going to sneak up and harm him...

im glad you are trying with him...

sure fire way to tell if hes deaf...wait until hes asleep..make different loud noises...pans clanging, etc...dont get too close to him though b/c the deafys rely on their sense of smell when their eyes are closed...and it gets stronger as they get older... :D its truely amazing..

if you ever have any questions please feel free to mssg me...even if the questions seems silly to you..its ok..ive asked them all haha..good luck... :D

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we have a siren that goes off when a door is opened to the garage for when i leave to go tow work.  and when the string is disconnected it alarms.  Both daph and Attila both looked at me when it sounded while Ajax stayed turned around with no movement at all.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
well still he "could" be used to loud noises? best thing is when they are asleep..b/c all will startle while asleep...hope you dont take this as me sounding like a jerk or a know it all ..lol b/c i am far from it hahaha just tryna help..

they are very good at vibration also so dont let it fool you...Isis turns instantly when Onyx barks near her...not too close though.its the vibration of his bark in her ears.... and certain things similar...

easiest is when he cant see you or smell you...and hes asleep..clang pans...or something of that nature...

if he "is" deaf...you will be amazed at what he will accomplish i promise you that..i wish we were closer so you could see Isis now compared to the pics i have when we got her..and how skittish and jumpy she was...even snappy at times...and her and onyx had their share of fights...

now shes sooooooooooooooo laid back..Willow ( samsonsmom) met Isis..lol shes the epitomy of relaxed haha but it wasnt always that way..

like i said..ill help ya in anyway i can if youd like....never a bother....

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As i told heather I except all advice good or bad, comments and concerns.  But forums are for friendly talk between people with a common goal (boxer) and PM's are used to express your very personal opinion and/or "Roast them to a crisp".....

·
Registered
880 Posts
Ajax sounds like he is quite bright.  Good luck with the training!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my wife decided that since we got him she does not like Casper, or Ajax, so she is now calling him Vlad The Impaler.  I think she watches to many Dracula movies on TV.

I am so confused.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
uhmm ok...i was not a part of that whole posting bonanza..i was just offering some help from one deafy owner to another...

sorry if i offended you certainly did not mean to ..ive been through it and thought id offer any idea that we tried since it was a LONG 2 yrs..and certainly at time felt like OMG what did i get us into..

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, Ky I mean no offense with that post I am just stating that I dont mind comments or concerns either good or bad.  It wasnt just people hear but people from other sites that roasted me pretty bad through nasty emails.  Some of them I replied to if i new they werent members here.  I now there was no intentional harm ment but it got blown out of proportion when people were asking why this why that without the whole truth or knowing about the wounds with Daphne.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
i mssgd you a few days ago about that..i have been through that..not on here but a situation like that..it was aweful !!!

was a long story but shor t of it was that the dog was HUGE ( over 100lbs) badly abused neglected and very sick..well she was dropped in my lap with a pile of lies also...my plan was to rehab her the best i could and find her a suitable home..well..she attacked both my dogs..and my dogs dont stand for that...so it was an all out brawl !!! and it went on and on...THEN she went after my austic son who was only 3 then..OMG it was good lord !!!

that only happend the first night..ok so i m thinking i can do this..jsut have to revamp things...well it escalated...was horrible and like i said she was huge !! and i was lied to about her issues to boot..she was aggressive in so so many ways..she was NOT a boxer...

i started searching for rescue groups to find that there are none here in hawaii and none mainland that would come get her...after taking her to the vet and finding out she had a terrible infection throughout her body that started with her skin and eyes...i cant rmember the name..i was worried b/c they said mine could get sick also..

between her going after my dogs, my son and the infections that were endless..the money at the vet was over 1000 in 3 days !! and i couldnt afford to have mine get sick also..

i ended up finding a small rescue group that took and rehabbed her right away...and the woman that owned it decided to keep the dog..was a very nice ending but was horrible at that time...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ky gave you some awesome advice and yes I saw Isis in action and to be honest I never would have guessed that she is deaf, she is such a great dog, soo laid back and boy is she devoted to her "charges"....The hand signals I think is a great start, I actually find mine respond better to those then verbal commands sometimes...How's Attila's leg doing by the way?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm so glad that you decided to give Ajax some more time and that you decided to stick around!  Hope everything goes great!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
i forgot to mention that Onyx (thinks hes a boxer ha ha ) our "hearing" black lab also has just picked up Isis's comands..and its much easier with signals if you take the dogs places...

although the ONLY places Isis is allowed off leash, out of the house is surfing and the dog park...these 2 places can be awesome for hand signals..they learn to watch you which is the first step with them to train...they learn to look for you and watch you no matter where they are...and most is instinct but some is taught

** warning that you may not think of...please only take me saying this as experience...b/c it was very bad 3 different times

no matter how socialized the deafy gets...at a dog park...playing with other dogs even if they know them..other dog may growl as a warning that they dont feel like playing or are grumpy...the deafy has no idea what a warning growl is b/c they dont hear it..other dog does not know this....and the deafy (if friendly and typical goofy boxer) will keep trying to play,licking the others face, etc...and get hurt...

was aweful b/c Isis totally didnt understand...she didnt fight back...b/c she was only trying to be friendly...and dog grabbed her by the throat..this is a dog she knows...

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Both my pups are deaf and we use hand signals with them if you have any questions please feel free to pm me any time too

·
Registered
494 Posts
DM sounds like he is catching on quickly!!  Thats great to hear, you know I was worried  :D   Sounds like Ky and memy are going to be good resources if ya need them..... :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts