Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had my Jack Russell (Chelsea) in the trainning class at Petsmart and ended up dropping out.  She was already hyper as is and with tthe customers in the stores it just made it worse.  Talk about fustrating.  When we got Jenna (our boxer) we went to a locally owned dog training facility and did much better.  I found this placed by looking on the internet/yellow pages and made a few phone calls for comparison on prices and the way they train the dogs.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have taken 2 dogs to petsmart for training and have had great experience each time. We went all the way from begginer to advanced with both. not a problem at all. It just depends on the trainer I guess.

G

·
0 Posts
I've heard it is better to talk to the petsmart trainers and discuss a personal lesson. Usually they get paid either way so they dont give a hoot...

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I would try to find a obedience trainer and class other than PetSmart if possible.  In my opinion their classes are run in way to small an area and the training session I witnessed was not too good.  A lot of their "trainers" are cookie cutter people with no idea of dog behavior.  Starr05 obviously lucked out, but I would research further.

Nano

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I've done training classes there with 2 of mine, the first time with Buck, was not a good experience, the trainer had no clue about Boxers, tried to make us do the command over and over, which doesn't work with Boxers..Everyone else dropped out except for us, which really didn't help as there was no breaks and no socialization.....Now my second go round with Petsmart(a different location,different state), was very different..I had a chance before the first class to talk to the trainer, discussed a few issues I had with Samson and she worked with us a lot...Before class & after class....I definitely got  alot more out of that class.....

Having said that, yes, talk to the trainer first, see if they have any knowledge of Boxers, watch a class as well..If you don't feel comfortable, keep looking....Your pup cannot enroll in any classes til after all shots are done, so you have some time, but good to start now as you may need to book early..Here's a link to APDT(association of pet dog trainers). Use this as a base to start looking...Also you can check with your local Kennel Club, a  lot of times they offer classes at a reasonable price..Some local colleges do classes as well.....

http://www.apdt.com/

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I have had four dogs go through all three classes at Petsmart and have had good experiences so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts