Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 8-month-old rescue on his first official "walk" around the neighborhood last night. Boy, was I tired! What kind of training collars do you all use? When I trained my Rottweiler, I used a pinch collar. I think trainers are getting away from using those though. I definitely need some leverage!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
We use the gentle leader... it works great. I am looking forward to the day I won't need it anymore though. I think people think it's like a muzzle or something... at least the ignorant people that also seem to think he's a pitbull.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
As a trainer, I tend to use a Martingale training collar, but have experience with a wide variety of collars in training (to include the G.L.).

The G.L. is fine as a training tool, so long as it is only used as a training tool (such as how Marie [Mastray] is using it), but can become a crutch.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
We started with a pinch collar in obedience class but now we are pretty much on a regular collar.  The trainer didn't want us to use it all the time after the dogs started learning commands.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I have used the sense-sation harness with good luck.  It is not the magic cure all for pulling, but really nothing is. It helps so that the dog is not being choked by pulling and uses gentle pressure in the shoulder area. It can be ordered only online and was one of the products of the year award by Whole Dog Journal.  I can highly recommend it, as we have also had several of our dog clients use it also.  I don't like the GL for many reasons.  Another reason is that people think it is a muzzle and it is uncomfortable for the dog.  

Nano

1 - 7 of 7 Posts