Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a bit of trouble getting my DC to leave the puppy on the ground.  They constantly want to pick her up and carry her around.  Particularly the girls.  I am worried for the safty of the puppy. and I fear if they try this as she gets bigger she might hurt one of them.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
How old are they? I don't have any tips, because I don't know how old they are. Maybe you could explain or try to reason with the kids that the pup needs to stay on the ground for training, or that they might hurt the puppy by picking her up all the time. ? Sorry...I don't have anything else.  :?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lets see boy 8, girl 6 1/2; boy 4 1/2; girl 3
mostly the girls just want to pick her up and hold her, carry her around and such.  

THe puppy is a little nippy and I wonder how to tell my DC the best way to get her to stop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Blade is deaf and so we had to take the hard route with training him sometimes. The best way we found to stop the nipping is a quick slap (not too hard, just so they know you mean it) to show your dominance. You didn't say whether it was a dog or a bitch. mines a dog and tries to be the leader of the pack to the point where he had dominated my DW AND DD! The slap on the bottom was the only thing that worked for us. As for the picking up problem explain that he won't grow up big and strong like them (the children) if they don't let him walk. also try to get them to take the dog on a walk with you and let them hold the lead (you hold it to of course or there could be flying children!) Most kids just want to mother (smother) the dog because finally there's something smaller than them. i think a bit of tough love and you'll be fine :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
my son is 10 yrs old, and my new pup is 12 weeks , he won't leave the pup alone either.but when my pup had enough of him he hides or nips at him .but i scoulded the pup and said no biting.since then my son leaves her alone.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ok, I don't have children, but some practical thoughts. It sounds like your kids are treating the puppy like a doll, a plaything.. The biggest danger I see is the possibly that the puppy will squirm to much and get dropped, which we don't want to have happen. Boxers grow very fast are are pretty resiliant, but I'd really discourage that as much as possible.. I like the idea of explaining to them that he needs to walk in order to grow correctly. Also letting them help hold the leash while walking is good too...In a very short time that puppy will be big enuf to jump up and knock the little ones down, so I would definitely be working on the "off" command to nip that in the bud also...Keep us posted, ok?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts