Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

First of all, this is my third discussion here, so like you can see I am a beginner and I love this site and all the things I can learn in here, this time, I have an urgent question.

Athena is 8 months old, the thing with her is that she is too friendly, like too, too friendly, if we are in the park, and she see another dog, she jumps, and if she is free, she runs, and wants to play so badly with the other dog that sometimes is dangerous for her, cause not all the dogs are friendly, and second, she does the same with people, she jumps, she licks the face or whatver she can of the other person, so sometimes is unconfortable for the other person, and for the other dog.

I know, that is good that she is not agressive, and that she likes to play, but, I think that she needs to learn that not all the dogs want to play and not all the people likes to be lick by a friendly dog.

So how can I teach her to behave better in this case?

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Well for one she probably should be on a leash . Someone could get hurt badly if you allow her to run off like this. Before allowing her freedom she should be trained with a solid recall. That way you could call her back to you before she approaches another dog or human. When I first get a puppy I use the pups natural instinct to follow me. . We spend f time in the yard playing off leash. Every few minutes, I move away fwhile saying, "COME!" and then I ALWAYS give a treat for doing so and at the same time I take hold of his collar (because it helps later, if he tries to play catch me, don't chase after him as that will each him to run away) then I immediately allow him to play again. With an older dog or one that hasn't caught on..like mine. I played ball in the yard, I used two at first. It was his favorite game. When I called him to me and he came, I would throw the other. While he chased that one I picked up the one he dropped. Eventually you get to the point where you can grab the collar he will "give" the ball and you play again. Now when my dog comes and gives the ball, if it time for game ending I leash him, put the ball away and just walk him around the yard a few times, go to the front of the house and then inside. We now are to the point where I leash him, walk him a bit to potty, then unleash him again in the yard and tell him lets go in to house and he happily will join me. This took me months. And my dog still would not be allowed off leash in a park where he could have an opportunity to disobey and run off to another. Good luck training, its fun but it takes time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We play With her too in the yard, a ball is her favorito too, and yes she is always in a leash in the park, the thing is even if she is wearing the leash, she tríes to jump and act to excited, so We need to use the leash to control her, but she is always too happy to see other persons or dogs, even if she plays With our other dog in the house

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
We play With her too in the yard, a ball is her favorito too, and yes she is always in a leash in the park, the thing is even if she is wearing the leash, she tríes to jump and act to excited, so We need to use the leash to control her, but she is always too happy to see other persons or dogs, even if she plays With our other dog in the house
When she jumps and gets overly excited, game ends, no more fun. She is also at that adolescent age so its a difficult time but I am sure with practice & patience you will get there. I've also found books by Ian dunbar helpful. I had them downloaded but can't find them at the moment if I do I'll send them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi!

First of all, this is my third discussion here, so like you can see I am a beginner and I love this site and all the things I can learn in here, this time, I have an urgent question.

Athena is 8 months old, the thing with her is that she is too friendly, like too, too friendly, if we are in the park, and she see another dog, she jumps, and if she is free, she runs, and wants to play so badly with the other dog that sometimes is dangerous for her, cause not all the dogs are friendly, and second, she does the same with people, she jumps, she licks the face or whatver she can of the other person, so sometimes is unconfortable for the other person, and for the other dog.

I know, that is good that she is not agressive, and that she likes to play, but, I think that she needs to learn that not all the dogs want to play and not all the people likes to be lick by a friendly dog.

So how can I teach her to behave better in this case?
I guess Athena needs more training about how she should behave in public places. As you have said, you keep her on the leash still she does it. I know it is sad but you have to be strict in front of her. All your Athena need some practice and you need to keep some patience.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Well sigh ... I am pretty much always Mr.Bad New's Bear. To wit ... my first advise is to stay out of the "Dog Park!" Athena, sound's like a much typical par for the course American Line Boxer?? And as such ... in a "Dog Park," she is just gonna be "Obnoxious!" A "Dog Park," is like the OK Carroll!

And you do not, know who bring's what kinda dog there! And some dog's, should not be in a "Dog Park!" And "You," have "No Reliable Recall!" Sigh something I find myself struggling with now ... but I don't go to "Dog Park's," if other Dog's are there! So that is step one. If you keep going "now??" Sooner or later she will, "Tick Off," the Wrong Dog! And most likely she "will," get carved up like a "Turkey!" And if that happen's ... "Trust Me On This," the attacking Dog's Owner ... will be nowhere to be found! It happen's all the time.

So step one, Right Now ... Stay out of the "Dog Park!" And to expand on the point ... see here. :
Leerburg | Dog Parks: Why They Are A Bad Idea

Just stay out of the freaking "Dog Park," and you'll go a long way to making your life and her life easier! If you can't do that?? I can't help?? (Stay out of the Dog Park) then it's just a matter of time till she get's hurt bad!

So you need to stop doing that first and the rest will be "easier." :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts