Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have another question guys/gals. I have recently been contemplating getting a stake and lead line to work with the dogs a little bit more with more room and freedom. That way i dont have ahold of the leash and can work on recall and things with my girls, but i have the security of knowing they cant run off. I havent been real comfotable with stakes/lead lines becuase of all the bad people out there who leave their poor animals tied up, but i have come to the conclusion that my backyard isnt big enough (i live in a townhome) to really work with the girls. They would never be left on the lead for ANY period of time. They would only acutally be on it during training. Does or has anyone ever used this to help with training. It is hard training the girls by myself.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Sounds like a reasonable plan.  Just check the laws in your area - recently insane anti-tethering legislation has been passing which, for example, prohibits any dog from being tethered during the hours of 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., or tethering them to a stationary object - doesn't matter if it's only for 2 minutes, doesn't matter if you're out there with them.  Crazy.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Because my yard at this time is not fenced, that is what I use for Angel. I have a 25 ft lead and I attach her to that. She has some room to run, plus it does work well for teaching recall..As I am outside of the city limits, the laws don't apply, but I never, ever leave her out there alone. As I also am doing the training myself Andrea, I know where you are coming from with what you are saying and the long line should help you a lot...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Something eles you can do is get a lond lead dnd attached it to you aroung your waist (ie: take loop end of lead in your hand and put around your waist, then run the clip part through the loop attach to dog.)  This way the dog is effectively tethered and has room to run, if they do not perform the recall correctly you can reel them in quickly or step on the line and you don't have to woory about being in conflict with the law.  (If anyone asks, the lead is attached to you for training purposes and your not breaking the law bu haveing the dog tethered to an "immovable" object.)

Hope this helps.

Liz and Lilly

1 - 4 of 4 Posts