Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. So we have a 10 month old boxer. We have never really had a lot of time to spend training, but and trying to change that. What are some good tips with help in training? Something’s we want to correct, jumping in couch, nipping at hands or clothes, basic listening. Also will growl for attention sometimes. Any help appreciated

· Registered
1,743 Posts
A good starting point is drain some of that energy down with outdoor play time he’s not going to want to listen to you at all if he’s bouncing off the walls. At 10 months he should have had training well underway I always start my with recall training this I do with a long leash calling them to me as I gently pull them in lots of good dogs when you get the result you want some dogs respond to treats some do not. Walking on
n the leash without pulling, theres Just so much that needs to be addressed here I would suggest getting a good trainer of the non shock collar variety you will find a lot of trainers quickly become frustrated with Boxers because they are a dog of energy and their obedience is something you have to earn and insist on. Consistency is key to successful training if it’s not ok to be on the couch then never allow it, some of those other behaviors will get better as he ages. These dogs are fantastic once trained it’s just getting there! It does happen with patience, routine consistency and the must have exercise!

· Registered
1 Posts
Use positive reinforcement techniques
Almost all vets agree that positive reinforcement training is the most effective method of dog training. Positive reinforcement training essentially focuses on rewarding your pet for good behavior, rather than punishing bad behavior. Whenever your dog demonstrates good behavior and responds positively to your commands, reward them! By rewarding good behavior, you’re reinforcing the association between good behavior and see here good things. It’s also important to make sure you’re not inadvertently rewarding unwanted behavior. For example, if your dog barks at you to play or jumps up to say hello, don’t acknowledge it or give in, as this just reinforces the bad behavior. Instead, wait until they’re calmer before giving them attention.

· Registered
5,883 Posts
Ah well first just "Tips," aren't gonna help this owner? A "Tip," would be "Walk Your Dog," Just do that.

That and well "other stuff," that I figured out worked for me. And my WL GSD that did not like "People!" And yes ... try and give him a "Cookie," if you wished and let me know how that "worked out?" :)

But a "Tip," would be ... "Walk Your Dog!" That is it ... that is all you need to do.

With my "Human Aggressive Wl GSD," that is mostly all, I did! And he became a great dog that save my life "unexpectedly and unbid," because he "learned to trust me!"

In retrospect ...simple enough. But what if "you can't walk your dog??" Well then ... your not gonna make much in the way of progress? And if your go to is a bag of "Cookies and advise on Dog Training from a Vet??" Good Luck with that!

Vet's are not "Dog Trainer's." That is not what they went to school for? Positive Only, gets' shelter dog's and dogs' with "Serious Issues," PTS, by the million's ie "Well if the Dog Won't take a "Cookie, he must be unfixable??" Yeah right.

Try and give a "Cookie" to "Shelly," here or dog's like her and let me know how that works out? .:

PO only works for certain dog's. And if one's world is "small enough?" Then you won't see dog's with "Serious Issues!"

Don't do rescue and don't do foster and you will never see them? But if one does? Then the first thing one will learn is "some dog's don't give a crap about "Cookies!" Just saying. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts