Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new puppy will be coming home May 30th but with the world still on lockdown with no real end in sight I'm starting to think about getting some training videos to practice at home.

I will be doing Obedience, nose work and Shutzhund (IPO/IGP) with my Boxer so those are the activities for which I'm looking for training help.

As I look around the internet 3 names keep coming up;
1) Ivan Balabanov
2) Dave Kroyer
3) Michael Ellis

Since training videos are not cheap I can't just go get everything out there and I'm sure that all of these guys have a different approach to each activity. I'm hoping some of you on this forum may have experience with using training videos and can offer recommendations and/or suggestions.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I don't have experience with it, but I know Mike Suttle of Logan Haus Kennels does a puppy imprinting course of videos on his FB page.

Hopefully bte2 comments on this, I believe he went to a class of his. He could probably give you some advice.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes, I would recommend Mike Suttles (Logan Haus Kennels) puppy imprinting FB group. It's something like $25 and it's basically is workshop videoed. I ton of info on scent work and drive in general.
I find Ellis and Kroyer are simliar. Ivan is a bit different.
Eliis has a ton of free "bits" of info on youtube and lots of videos through leerburg.
Dave has a "membership" type thing.. like $10 a month to access visdoes.
Ivan's is train-per-view

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I am considering Dave Kroyer's monthly subscription, even in Cdn $ it looks like a good deal.

I have had several people mention Ivan's video "possession games" but it's $157 US

I actually don't have a Facebook account (yep I'm the one) so I can't go that route

·
Registered
190 Posts
You can be like me, have a facebook page and keep it private, zero FB friends. That's what I do. That allowes me to follow a handfull of private dog sport groups and still have my privacy ( as much as I could hav with FB watching..lol). I

·
Registered
312 Posts
Instructor, On your new pup, is it 100% euro? sire and dam ? your getting a bargain with all the health testing that the breeder is doing imo. I just hate knocking the dog out for OFA if you ever do.. remember NO Acepromazine ever.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Instructor, On your new pup, is it 100% euro? sire and dam ? your getting a bargain with all the health testing that the breeder is doing imo. I just hate knocking the dog out for OFA if you ever do.. remember NO Acepromazine ever.
Yes both parents are %100 Euro, that's what I was looking for as I prefer the stockier look of the Euro males plus even though neither of the parents are from woking lines Euros are generally better at Shutzhund which I intend to do with my dog.

And thank you, I have noted in several posts on this forum that Acepromazine is a big No No !

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Good luck. Its a tough road with a boxer, especially one that doesn't come from working lines. I tried with my guy, and he just didn't have it. He did have the tools for scent work, but not something I was too interested in. Learned a ton though from different people in the sporting world.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Like Matt said, if you truely want a boxer to do IPO/IPG work you need to be really picky about pup.
To be 100% honest, to be able to pull a working pup out of nonworking parents is really hard, the chances just aren't that great. Once you start adding in preferences (color, sex, markings) it makes it even more difficult.
IMHO to get a boxer that will excel in IPO (by excel, I mean get a IPO 1 title on the dog) you need to pick a breeder that is working in IPO.
If working in IPO isn't that important and doing nose work is just as good, then you will be fine.

I'm really not trying to a "Debbie Downer" but IPO isn't easy and not every dog is suited for.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like Matt said, if you truely want a boxer to do IPO/IPG work you need to be really picky about pup.
To be 100% honest, to be able to pull a working pup out of nonworking parents is really hard, the chances just aren't that great. Once you start adding in preferences (color, sex, markings) it makes it even more difficult.
IMHO to get a boxer that will excel in IPO (by excel, I mean get a IPO 1 title on the dog) you need to pick a breeder that is working in IPO.
If working in IPO isn't that important and doing nose work is just as good, then you will be fine.

I'm really not trying to a "Debbie Downer" but IPO isn't easy and not every dog is suited for.
Yes I completely understand that Boxers (or rather Boxer owners) can have a tough go in Shutzhund. My (potential) pup is almost 5 weeks old so I'm counting down the days to when he has his temperament test at 7 weeks. The breeder knows that I want to work him and has been very upfront with me about what kind of scores he will need to even have a chance at Shutzhund.
Fortunately the Shutzhund club I would be training at is a very laid back all breed club and they would be ok with us only working on the obedience and tracking if he doesn't have enough drive for the bite work

1 - 10 of 10 Posts