Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I notice they don't list an air temperature, or maybe I missed it, I'm assuming there has to be a minimum and maximum.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm sure there is but don't know what the min/max is.
Last years USA Box Sieger Show (which had AD, ZTP test) was held in Nashville in November. Typical temps for that time of year are high's in the 60's, lows in the 40's

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I would love to try it on my own. We bike ride everyday. I'm thinking there is a good chance he could pass that, especially at that temp.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, AD & ZTP test. Though I'm not sure you'll find many videos of it.. not much to see.
I personally know people that have passed the test.

Seems you have a pretty low standard of what boxers can do ( assuming you pick the right genetics ).
Yeah, you are probably right about that. I do like them as pets, but I mostly just read that they cant work when it's hot or humid. Because of this i question their viability as a true working breed in comparison to something like a dutchy, border collie or a malinois which are breeds that can work outdoors 365 days a year in rain sleet snow or heat.And despite their origins I could not really see the boxer as a functional catch dog in the American south or in central america like a dogo. I think that they make exceptional pets but you are right i doubt their actual working capabilities outside of short novelty testing like with competitive herding. beaucerons for example can move livestock nearly 50 miles per day I could not imagine a boxer being capable of that in most weather conditions

·
Registered
214 Posts
The boxer was never designed to work 365 in the southern US or South America. It was developed In German, where the summer temps on average hover in the 70's.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yeah, you are probably right about that. I do like them as pets, but I mostly just read that they cant work when it's hot or humid. Because of this i question their viability as a true working breed in comparison to something like a dutchy, border collie or a malinois which are breeds that can work outdoors 365 days a year in rain sleet snow or heat.And despite their origins I could not really see the boxer as a functional catch dog in the American south or in central america like a dogo. I think that they make exceptional pets but you are right i doubt their actual working capabilities outside of short novelty testing like with competitive herding. beaucerons for example can move livestock nearly 50 miles per day I could not imagine a boxer being capable of that in most weather conditions
So is your designation of a working dog, only a dog that can work in every temperature condition? Because you would be disqualifying a lot of dogs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So is your designation of a working dog, only a dog that can work in every temperature condition? Because you would be disqualifying a lot of dogs.
well i think that if your work in law enforcement or in ranching and your dog is a valuable member of your team. Than it has be able to work anytime that you are working. If a cattle driving or catch dog is an integral part of your livelyhood than it has to be as available as any other tool that you rely on. which is why i see boxers as only a pet breed. An amazing pet breed in my opinion, and I don't see a problem with that

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
well i think that if your work in law enforcement or in ranching and your dog is a valuable member of your team. Than it has be able to work anytime that you are working. If a cattle driving or catch dog is an integral part of your livelyhood than it has to be as available as any other tool that you rely on. which is why i see boxers as only a pet breed. An amazing pet breed in my opinion, and I don't see a problem with that
I mean I kind of understand your point, but by your definition a Siberian Husky or Malamute shouldn't be a working breed because they can't tolerate warm weather. Just cause a dog is acclimated to a certain region of the world and the temperature ranges in that area doesn't really disqualify it as a working dog, imo.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I mean I kind of understand your point, but by your definition a Siberian Husky or Malamute shouldn't be a working breed because they can't tolerate warm weather. Just cause a dog is acclimated to a certain region of the world and the temperature ranges in that area doesn't really disqualify it as a working dog, imo.
That is a valid point

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
That is a valid point
I think its an interesting discussion to have. I think the larger issue would be how few boxer breeders in the US actually produce working stock. I guess its like anything with supply and demand and where most people want a pet. Nothing wrong with that, but it would be cool to see more breeders with working lines.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think its an interesting discussion to have. I think the larger issue would be how few boxer breeders in the US actually produce working stock. I guess its like anything with supply and demand and where most people want a pet. Nothing wrong with that, but it would be cool to see more breeders with working lines.
My family lives on a large piece of land in a rural ranching community so i think that i may look more at working potential than other boxer owners. Not saying that my outlook is better or anything, just different. When i am looking at a ranch dog and i can see the level of conditioning in the heeler's and aussie's I cant picture a boxer working in that capacity. Although those breeds lack the natural watchdog instincts of the boxer. I think that the boxer frustrates me because i see the mind of an elite working dog limited by the body. they are so attentive, smart and biddable that they can learn and perform any job from herding to tracking and protection. Mentally they can learn to do more jobs than any heeler or aussie that i have seen.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
My new puppy will be coming home May 30th but with the world still on lockdown with no real end in sight I'm starting to think about getting some training videos to practice at home.

I will be doing Obedience, nose work and Shutzhund (IPO/IGP) with my Boxer so those are the activities for which I'm looking for training help.

As I look around the internet 3 names keep coming up;
1) Ivan Balabanov
2) Dave Kroyer
3) Michael Ellis

Since training videos are not cheap I can't just go get everything out there and I'm sure that all of these guys have a different approach to each activity. I'm hoping some of you on this forum may have experience with using training videos and can offer recommendations and/or suggestions.
I suppose this thread has gotten fairly wild of course??

But hey that is kinda what we do. :)

Still here you go ... the first is a rental I believe??
BowWowFlix.com: How It Works | DVD DVDs Rental | Rent Dog Training DVDs | Canine Behavior Videos

And Leerburgh of course Michal Ellis, is now affiliated thru him as well as a few other big names.
Leerburg | Training DVDs

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
My family lives on a large piece of land in a rural ranching community so i think that i may look more at working potential than other boxer owners. Not saying that my outlook is better or anything, just different. When i am looking at a ranch dog and i can see the level of conditioning in the heeler's and aussie's I cant picture a boxer working in that capacity. Although those breeds lack the natural watchdog instincts of the boxer. I think that the boxer frustrates me because i see the mind of an elite working dog limited by the body. they are so attentive, smart and biddable that they can learn and perform any job from herding to tracking and protection. Mentally they can learn to do more jobs than any heeler or aussie that i have seen.
Definitely agree with that, especially ranch work. The only boxer I know of that was titled in herding was I believe the name was Pip.There is some video out there.

I think its also what people, at least in the US, want. Don't think there is a big enough market for it, especially with Mals and Dutchies pretty much taking over a ton of the protection, ipo work,. Heck even most German Shepherds now are bred to be pets.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
For actual Boxer's with "Working Potential," there has to be more than one Breeder out there?? But if "one were," serious and really, wanted to do that with a "Boxer??" The only "breeder," I know of that could provide the "proper prospect," in American, would be home of "Cliff Vom Grand Kevin."

In American, "still," the only LE K9's doing that job "so far," are all in the Mid West and they are all "Euro's ?? But they do work there dog's. And most likely, unless you live close to an "All Breed IPO CLUB" a "Boxer Club would be best but ... "Good Luck," with that for most of us?? Everything local to you, would be a "GSD," Club.

And those guy's for the most part ... will think your dog is a joke! Mal's, are pretty much the only other breed they accept on face value. Other than that ... it's "Show Me??" :)

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Definitely agree with that, especially ranch work. The only boxer I know of that was titled in herding was I believe the name was Pip.There is some video out there.
I found "Pip."

There was another Boxer that won a big Herding title a few year's ago?? They made new's on Germanshepardforum back then. And I saw a "Herder, Dog" trainer that stumbled, onto Boxer's. And decided well why not??

She was a Herder Dog person first. And had a lot of interesting comparison's to tell about between the two Breed's. And as you would expect. It was pretty interesting and as one expect ... the Queensland's and such, just had more of a natural instinct (for that job) and got with the program quicker. But her Boxer could do the job also ... it just took more time. Nothing really new there but the comparison's between the Breed's she observed was pretty interesting. :)

I think its also what people, at least in the US, want. Don't think there is a big enough market for it, especially with Mals and Dutchies pretty much taking over a ton of the protection, ipo work,. Heck even most German Shepherds now are bred to be pets.
Yep speaking to the Al Boxer's ... all I know, after WWII for "Merica," ... they got it right! PIA, that they can be anyway ... you typically don't have to worry about them going after people. :)

On Germanshepardfroum, the "Dutchies," seem to be really serious dog's! And Mal's LOL ... well Mal-a gator's! They are what they are ... not a dog for the foolish or the lazy. :)
And on Germanshepardforum, all the WL GSD, folks' blame the (Pet People) for the demise of the "Breed." Too Big ... to start. People Pet tend to like "Big Dog's," apparently.

Last I checked even the AKC has changed there spec?? WL GSD used to spec at 75 lbs?? And now males are in the 85 lb to 95 lb range?? To much for the Military, that and other factor's made the US Military ditch WL GSD's in favor of the Mal's. 75 lb's top, end of story. WL GSD's are still big in LE and IPO and PPD. However but those are not jumping out of chopper's or repeling down cliff's as a general rule. :)

And "pet," GSD's?? Yeah a lot of "problem's there," apparently??? BYB's and a lot of "Drive," and Breed Characteristic "bleed over," from WL GSD's, seems to be a "issue??"

Most "Pet People," are not looking for a "High Rank Drive Pet," or Human Aggression in spade's?? But those "trait's carrying over," are not uncommon ... "apparently??" I luv'd my WL GSD and he turned into a great dog! But he was a lot more work and responsibility ... then I was expecting??

Technically I don't know if he was "Pet Quality," or a "real," WL GSD that "escaped," being PTS, because he was also a "Wobble Dog??" As he was seen on the East Coast by a member there (East Coast) on Germanshepardforum?? And the rescue I worked for as a "Foster," would not say "where he came from???" So something odd was up with him?? Whatever, he was more dog than I anticipated! And at the time ... more than she knew.

But hey it worked out in the long run for us. But I would never recommend a GSD, to anyone I know?? But hey most of my friend's tend to be Dog owning idiot's! When I went to see them ... my dog's stayed home. :)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I found "Pip."

There was another Boxer that won a big Herding title a few year's ago?? They made new's on Germanshepardforum back then. And I saw a "Herder, Dog" trainer that stumbled, onto Boxer's. And decided well why not??

She was a Herder Dog person first. And had a lot of interesting comparison's to tell about between the two Breed's. And as you would expect. It was pretty interesting and as one expect ... the Queensland's and such, just had more of a natural instinct (for that job) and got with the program quicker. But her Boxer could do the job also ... it just took more time. Nothing really new there but the comparison's between the Breed's she observed was pretty interesting. :)

Yep speaking to the Al Boxer's ... all I know, after WWII for "Merica," ... they got it right! PIA, that they can be anyway ... you typically don't have to worry about them going after people. :)

On Germanshepardfroum, the "Dutchies," seem to be really serious dog's! And Mal's LOL ... well Mal-a gator's! They are what they are ... not a dog for the foolish or the lazy. :)
And on Germanshepardforum, all the WL GSD, folks' blame the (Pet People) for the demise of the "Breed." Too Big ... to start. People Pet tend to like "Big Dog's," apparently.

Last I checked even the AKC has changed there spec?? WL GSD used to spec at 75 lbs?? And now males are in the 85 lb to 95 lb range?? To much for the Military, that and other factor's made the US Military ditch WL GSD's in favor of the Mal's. 75 lb's top, end of story. WL GSD's are still big in LE and IPO and PPD. However but those are not jumping out of chopper's or repeling down cliff's as a general rule. :)

And "pet," GSD's?? Yeah a lot of "problem's there," apparently??? BYB's and a lot of "Drive," and Breed Characteristic "bleed over," from WL GSD's, seems to be a "issue??"

Most "Pet People," are not looking for a "High Rank Drive Pet," or Human Aggression in spade's?? But those "trait's carrying over," are not uncommon ... "apparently??" I luv'd my WL GSD and he turned into a great dog! But he was a lot more work and responsibility ... then I was expecting??

Technically I don't know if he was "Pet Quality," or a "real," WL GSD that "escaped," being PTS, because he was also a "Wobble Dog??" As he was seen on the East Coast by a member there (East Coast) on Germanshepardforum?? And the rescue I worked for as a "Foster," would not say "where he came from???" So something odd was up with him?? Whatever, he was more dog than I anticipated! And at the time ... more than she knew.

But hey it worked out in the long run for us. But I would never recommend a GSD, to anyone I know?? But hey most of my friend's tend to be Dog owning idiot's! When I went to see them ... my dog's stayed home. :)
Yup, that would be the video I saw awhile ago.

Now I have no idea what the dog is doing, because I have no clue about herding, but he most be doing it right since the dog is titled. Pretty cool to see the dog working in something they are not known for.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yup, that would be the video I saw awhile ago.

Now I have no idea what the dog is doing, because I have no clue about herding, but he most be doing it right since the dog is titled. Pretty cool to see the dog working in something they are not known for.
Actually pip and her owners are featured in detail in a youtube video by dogumentary tv. He has a really good channel for dog information actually he features a lot of owners breeds and breeders.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Actually pip and her owners are featured in detail in a youtube video by dogumentary tv. He has a really good channel for dog information actually he features a lot of owners breeds and breeders.

Nice video. The only thing I could think of when she was talking about being on the field with all the border collies was the movie Babe. lol

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
This might be the oldest video of a boxer working. Along with other breeds. If anyone speaks Italian they should enjoy it.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts