Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
This might be the oldest video of a boxer working. Along with other breeds. If anyone speaks Italian they should enjoy it.
The first boxer in the video is getting alot of "help" from the hepler. Remind me of a saying "there's no such thing as suicide rabbits". Now the one that at 6:40'ish min mark seems to be a much more serious dog.

My family lives on a large piece of land in a rural ranching community so i think that i may look more at working potential than other boxer owners. Not saying that my outlook is better or anything, just different. When i am looking at a ranch dog and i can see the level of conditioning in the heeler's and aussie's I cant picture a boxer working in that capacity. Although those breeds lack the natural watchdog instincts of the boxer. I think that the boxer frustrates me because i see the mind of an elite working dog limited by the body. they are so attentive, smart and biddable that they can learn and perform any job from herding to tracking and protection. Mentally they can learn to do more jobs than any heeler or aussie that i have seen.
I understand what you are saying but you're comparing to dogs that are totally different. Not to mention, to breeds that are still bred with working qualities in mind.
They are just like any other breed. If you pick the right genetics and you use it in the right application, you have the best chance for it to work out.
In general I don't think boxers would be considered "biddable". Not to say they can't be, they can. But they are more often then not a bit stubborn. What I tell people: just because the dog wants to hang out WITH you doesn't mean he wants to work FOR you..lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
The first boxer in the video is getting alot of "help" from the hepler. Remind me of a saying "there's no such thing as suicide rabbits". Now the one that at 6:40'ish min mark seems to be a much more serious dog.

I understand what you are saying but you're comparing to dogs that are totally different. Not to mention, to breeds that are still bred with working qualities in mind.
They are just like any other breed. If you pick the right genetics and you use it in the right application, you have the best chance for it to work out.
In general I don't think boxers would be considered "biddable". Not to say they can't be, they can. But they are more often then not a bit stubborn. What I tell people: just because the dog wants to hang out WITH you doesn't mean he wants to work FOR you..lol
As far as temperament and mentality I think that a lot of boxers are incredibly biddable particularly with tracking and obedience especially when compared to the other breeds that i have owned mostly amstaffs. however when it comes to the working potential of the boxer no amount of breeding for working temperament will overcome the physical limitations presented by their indoor coat and brachycephalic skull.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I guess I'm a little confused as to what constitutes "work" to you.
What is it you're expecting a boxer "should do" but can't?
Could a boxer be used as a catch dog today? Sure, if it was the right dog.
I'm sure you could do a bit of internet searching and find a few that hunt.
Can it run all day like a herding breed? No, it was never designed to do that.
Has the breed gotten "soft" over the last 100 years? Absolutely, anytime the breed becomes popular with the AKC the work ability is going to suffer.

As for the indoor coat, unfortunately there are thousands of PB and Am staff mixes attached to chains out side all day/every day. They seems to be able to deal with the elements of nature and have the same type indoor coat.

I should also add, I'm not one that thinks "boxers can do anything".. haha
I would say the majority aren't capable of work, but I've seen enough in IGP to know you could convert them to personal protection.. and in my book that is work,

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yeah, noticed that too on the 1st one. lol I was just amazed there was a video from the 40's.

Funny saying but I'm pretty sure I have a suicide rabbit in my yard, its been here for a couple years and taunts Zuke.lol

The strange but i guess expected thing, is I can walk him off leash away from our property and he will walk by a rabbit within 6' without a care in the world. If one is on his property he is on a seek and destroy mission.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I guess I'm a little confused as to what constitutes "work" to you.
What is it you're expecting a boxer "should do" but can't?
Could a boxer be used as a catch dog today? Sure, if it was the right dog.
I'm sure you could do a bit of internet searching and find a few that hunt.
Can it run all day like a herding breed? No, it was never designed to do that.
Has the breed gotten "soft" over the last 100 years? Absolutely, anytime the breed becomes popular with the AKC the work ability is going to suffer.

As for the indoor coat, unfortunately there are thousands of PB and Am staff mixes attached to chains out side all day/every day. They seems to be able to deal with the elements of nature and have the same type indoor coat.

I should also add, I'm not one that thinks "boxers can do anything".. haha
I would say the majority aren't capable of work, but I've seen enough in IGP to know you could convert them to personal protection.. and in my book that is work,
What i mean is that while the boxer is mentally capable of many jobs and historically have done everything from boar hunt to drive cattle. The major limitation of the boxer in comparison to other working breeds is physiology. A working dog that you can rely on must be as available as any other tool that a rancher or law enforcement personnel would use. It does you no good as a k9 officer to have a dog that cant apprehend suspects when it is hot or to have a cattle drining dog that can not drive cattle unless the weather is perfect and the humidity is low. Even for sports like igp or competitive herding there have been boxers that have excelled however if a competition was held in lousiana in the summer a boxer couldn't even work outside in that weather while a malinois or dutchy could

·
Registered
214 Posts
We will just have to agree to disagree. For you to consider it as a working dog, you are requiring it meet your standard in a environment it wasn't designed for
If you apply your same logic to other breeds, malamutes, huskies along with few others, they won't classify as workers either.
Newfoundlands can be great water rescue dogs.. but you're not going to find many in Miami.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
malamutes, huskies
LOL well just to this. And I don't know about "Newfie's," in Miami, which would strike me as insane?? But out here in the high desert of NV and this summer, so far ... 95 + temp 's we do have malamutes, and huskies??

Which strikes me as pretty much an insane choice of dog??? A Husky in the Desert ... Ok then?? But ... sure enough, come winter time and the high wind's start. Fences get blown down and the Husky/Malamute "missing," poster's show up on the local Mail Box. :(

It used to be a pretty routine thing, around here but not so much lately?? Maybe folk's finally decided that a "Northern Breed," is not really the best choice of dog for life in the desert???

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
What i mean is that while the boxer is mentally capable of many jobs and historically have done everything from boar hunt to drive cattle. The major limitation of the boxer in comparison to other working breeds is physiology. A working dog that you can rely on must be as available as any other tool that a rancher or law enforcement personnel would use. It does you no good as a k9 officer to have a dog that cant apprehend suspects when it is hot or to have a cattle drining dog that can not drive cattle unless the weather is perfect and the humidity is low. Even for sports like igp or competitive herding there have been boxers that have excelled however if a competition was held in lousiana in the summer a boxer couldn't even work outside in that weather while a malinois or dutchy could
Yeah well I would "highly recommend," talking to "Dutchy," people before even considering one! The few folk's on Germanshepardforum, that had them said my H/A WL GSD (for awhile) sounded like a Piece Of Cake! :)

And no one here wants here ... want's to brow beat you into getting a Boxer??? The right dog of either line (AL or Euro) can/could do more than one expects?? But those are the "odd duck's??"

But no one anywhere make's any claim's that Boxer's are all weather breed's??? If all weather, is that important to you .... just get a WL GSD or a MAl or I suppose LOL a Dutchy and call it day.

Course if you have a family or folk's coming over... that may or may not be an "issue??? With one of he furry guy's. I can't say, but folk's that have WL GSD's and a family ... say they are great with people??!

But Boxer's and (I don't know of the Euro's) were bred to be the "Perfect Family Pet," for America, uh for the most part but typically no people issue's.You can't fit a round peg into a square hole. :) :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah well I would "highly recommend," talking to "Dutchy," people before even considering one! The few folk's on Germanshepardforum, that had them said my H/A WL GSD (for awhile) sounded like a Piece Of Cake! :)

And no one here wants here ... want's to brow beat you into getting a Boxer??? The right dog of either line (AL or Euro) can/could do more than one expects?? But those are the "odd duck's??"

But no one anywhere make's any claim's that Boxer's are all weather breed's??? If all weather, is that important to you .... just get a WL GSD or a MAl or I suppose LOL a Dutchy and call it day.

Course if you have a family or folk's coming over... that may or may not be an "issue??? With one of he furry guy's. I can't say, but folk's that have WL GSD's and a family ... say they are great with people??!

But Boxer's and (I don't know of the Euro's) were bred to be the "Perfect Family Pet," for America, uh for the most part but typically no people issue's.You can't fit a round peg into a square hole. :) :)
I love boxers they are one of my favorite breeds along with rotties and ridgebacks, i just don't see them as a working breed and im okay with that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
We will just have to agree to disagree. For you to consider it as a working dog, you are requiring it meet your standard in a environment it wasn't designed for
If you apply your same logic to other breeds, malamutes, huskies along with few others, they won't classify as workers either.
Newfoundlands can be great water rescue dogs.. but you're not going to find many in Miami.
Think about it like this, what if you told your boss that you are not available for work when the weather isn't ideal.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Think about it like this, what if you told your boss that you are not available for work when the weather isn't ideal.
What if I told you, you could take a champion Iditarod team, race them in Louisiana in the summer and you'd kill most of your dogs.. does that make them less of a working dog?

·
Registered
50 Posts
What if I told you, you could take a champion Iditarod team, race them in Louisiana in the summer and you'd kill most of your dogs.. does that make them less of a working dog?
I understand your point, but boxers and huskies were bred for very different jobs. huskies and malamutes are still the predominant sledding breeds. you only use a sled dog when there is snow so they can reasonably perform there job in real world application. while most jobs that boxers once held are now performed by other working breeds with less physical limitations in real world application. And i don't see it as a negative. when my dogs play hard outside i take extra precaution to insure that my boxer does not overheat. they are excellent pets and i can accept that.

·
Registered
214 Posts
So you are willing to except some dogs were design to work in specific regions/climates.... but not boxers.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to champion the Boxer breed by saying its better then all others.
I just think you writing them off to easily.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If SchH/IPO/IGP is your thing, you should check out moto_boxer, igp.boxer.chronicles and sarasboxers on Instagram. Good stuff.👍🏼

41 - 60 of 60 Posts