Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, there is quite a bit of misinformation about the German Boxer here. Some negative facts completely blown out of proportion!!
I personally showed my boxer in USCA regional championship when 97 degrees. 93 in protection. Every single boxer bred in Germany for 60 years must have an AD. Thank You for the compliment with our video of Cliff, but that video was a joke on us … not serious work! He would pull the sleeve off the arm or twist the helper into a knot. We are making fun of ourselves here. We have at least 2 full IPO/IGP 3 routines on YouTube - check them out and maybe you’ll see why some people only want Boxers for work. A good Boxer is much harder than a good herding breed. The best Boxers are second to none in prey drive and nervous system. I am talking about the top 10% of the breed. Speaking of herding, a Boxer is NOT a herding breed! Bull baiting fighting breed!! 180
The problem is can be too strong nerve that does not respond to psychological stress like GSD. Those great Boxers never see their potential. That type of dog is somewhat common as their background in fighting large animals eliminated defensive traits. Some times only a little pain can make anger in the greatest Boxer. Lastly, Boxers as K9s are popular in the Midwest because that is where we live. The departments can see them. They come to us, and we are not that excited sometimes to sell a Boxer as a K9. If the rest of the world had a clue how incredible some boxers are at police work they would be 100 times more popular in law enforcement. In detection work - no contest. In building search no contest. The combination of predatory prey drive and and hidden sleeve or muzzle changes the Boxer in a completely different animal. You can see this on our videos I think.
Thanks for reading if anyone is still here.
.. and happy new year 2022 !!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Wow, there is quite a bit of misinformation about the German Boxer here. Some negative facts completely blown out of proportion!!
I personally showed my boxer in USCA regional championship when 97 degrees. 93 in protection. Every single boxer bred in Germany for 60 years must have an AD. Thank You for the compliment with our video of Cliff, but that video was a joke on us … not serious work! He would pull the sleeve off the arm or twist the helper into a knot. We are making fun of ourselves here. We have at least 2 full IPO/IGP 3 routines on YouTube - check them out and maybe you’ll see why some people only want Boxers for work. A good Boxer is much harder than a good herding breed. The best Boxers are second to none in prey drive and nervous system. I am talking about the top 10% of the breed. Speaking of herding, a Boxer is NOT a herding breed! Bull baiting fighting breed!! 180
The problem is can be too strong nerve that does not respond to psychological stress like GSD. Those great Boxers never see their potential. That type of dog is somewhat common as their background in fighting large animals eliminated defensive traits. Some times only a little pain can make anger in the greatest Boxer. Lastly, Boxers as K9s are popular in the Midwest because that is where we live. The departments can see them. They come to us, and we are not that excited sometimes to sell a Boxer as a K9. If the rest of the world had a clue how incredible some boxers are at police work they would be 100 times more popular in law enforcement. In detection work - no contest. In building search no contest. The combination of predatory prey drive and and hidden sleeve or muzzle changes the Boxer in a completely different animal. You can see this on our videos I think.
Thanks for reading if anyone is still here.
Interesting you mentioned that about detection work. I wanted to do IGP with my boxer, long story short, he didnt have the drive for it after being evaluated. They did say he would be great specifically at scent work. Was a bit surprised as I have never heard of that being a trait the boxer is good at.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts

Thanks for reading if anyone is still here.a

BoxersVonBachbett,WTH? Well it took you guys about (By my clock) 8 years to find us? But hey "Welcome Aboard!" :)

And while I understand what you are saying about the clip I posted? In the real world the "clips," you mentioned can't be found? If one does a general search for "full IPO/IGP 3 routines on YouTube" the only dogs that show up are the "usual suspects?" So you know WL GSD's and Mal's! Not a surprise? So if "you," have links to the clips you mention ... please post them. :)

And as far as K9 Boxers, and they are "only," there because that is where you are goes? Well sure that is a "Valid Reason?" Dog Buyers can go "wherever they want to purchase dogs, the Whole Freaking World. And they don't look for Boxers? And I would speculate, that at least a "part of the reason behind that, is because of the success of the "American Line Boxer," after WWII. The perfect "Boxer," for the "American Audience,' as per the Dog Men of WWll, who brought there dog's home with them. And they were correct! Boxers were in American Long before WWll and "No Cared?"

But "apprently," to this day for the most part when most people in "America," think "Boxer?" They picture the "American Line Boxer?" And "not," the Euro's?

Now the "AL," Boxer is my preference, cuz that is just me. But I understood the history of of the Boxer? And pretty much real "Dog Men," these day's dog guy's just assume that the "AL Boxer," is The Boxer?

And on Germanshepardforum, I was friends with one of the "Big Dawg's," "Czech and DDR," guy and his opinion of "Boxers," was uh "Skinny and Insipid," to be kind. Until I showed them Cliff! And then he said ... "Ok now that's a Dog!" And sure certainly not my dog but still a "Boxer," so yeah. :)

My point is that in "America," save for the hard core Boxer Fan," no one knows what a Euro Boxer or OK German Boxer is? If a Boxer is not American it is a "Euro," to me "British Boxer to name another? But whatever. :)

But the thing is as long as you guy's, keep "hiding," these dog's in the "MidWest?" No one will know what they can do? Just a thought and again "Welcome Aboard!"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Interesting you mentioned that about detection work. I wanted to do IGP with my boxer, long story short, he didnt have the drive for it after being evaluated. They did say he would be great specifically at scent work. Was a bit surprised as I have never heard of that being a trait the boxer is good at.
BoxersVonBachbett,WTH? Well it took you guys about (By my clock) 8 years to find us? But hey "Welcome Aboard!" :)

And while I understand what you are saying about the clip I posted? In the real world the "clips," you mentioned can't be found? If one does a general search for "full IPO/IGP 3 routines on YouTube" the only dogs that show up are the "usual suspects?" So you know WL GSD's and Mal's! Not a surprise? So if "you," have links to the clips you mention ... please post them. :)

And as far as K9 Boxers, and they are "only," there because that is where you are goes? Well sure that is a "Valid Reason?" Dog Buyers can go "wherever they want to purchase dogs, the Whole Freaking World. And they don't look for Boxers? And I would speculate, that at least a "part of the reason behind that, is because of the success of the "American Line Boxer," after WWII. The perfect "Boxer," for the "American Audience,' as per the Dog Men of WWll, who brought there dog's home with them. And they were correct! Boxers were in American Long before WWll and "No Cared?"

But "apprently," to this day for the most part when most people in "America," think "Boxer?" They picture the "American Line Boxer?" And "not," the Euro's?

Now the "AL," Boxer is my preference, cuz that is just me. But I understood the history of of the Boxer? And pretty much real "Dog Men," these day's dog guy's just assume that the "AL Boxer," is The Boxer?

And on Germanshepardforum, I was friends with one of the "Big Dawg's," "Czech and DDR," guy and his opinion of "Boxers," was uh "Skinny and Insipid," to be kind. Until I showed them Cliff! And then he said ... "Ok now that's a Dog!" And sure certainly not my dog but still a "Boxer," so yeah. :)

My point is that in "America," save for the hard core Boxer Fan," no one knows what a Euro Boxer or OK German Boxer is? If a Boxer is not American it is a "Euro," to me "British Boxer to name another? But whatever. :)

But the thing is as long as you guy's, keep "hiding," these dog's in the "MidWest?" No one will know what they can do? Just a thought and again "Welcome Aboard!"
Yes, funny, but I only stumbled on your forum a couple days ago.
You have valid questions - reminds me of myself years ago. My passion for the Boxer took me the the German Bundasieger) (National IPO Working Boxer Championship) first time back in the 1990s. Wake up call. The Boxer is still the #2 most popular Schutzhund dog in Germany today. I went there the first time to buy a dog after my first dog was retired. To my surprise no one would sell me a Boxer for twice the cost of a German Shepherd. This is why you do not see Boxers in Police work. No one will sell an adult. I won’t eitherexcept to a K9 handler I honestly have a personal relationship with. It’s different with Boxers. The have empathy you don’t find in most other breeds. Big personality’s .. so good luck finding an great adult, especially as a K9. I certainly would never sell an adult Boxer to someone far away I don’t know! That said, I just sold 2 Boxers to Police Departments that I raised and trained myself. I kept 4 dogs out of G litter sold two as K9s and kept 2. I know the departments very well - so no problem. I have trained 100s of police K9s and have seen 1000s. You have a slight misconception about this. MOST ALL POLICE DOGS are a level or two BELOW the best IPO/IGP dogs. That is all breeds. Police Dogs are NOT breeding dogs. No one sells the best for this purpose period.
The Boxer Club of Munich actually discourages selling Boxers as police dogs!
Because of the difficulties purchasing adult Boxers we have leased the best boxers over 25 years and froze semen. We have over 12 stud dogs with frozen semen at this time. We have the ability to produce without importing dogs. I’ll send links to a couple of my own dogs IPO3 protection. Latter I’ll send some of the stud dogs winning ATIBOX world championships!!

Sam: the trial after below he received 289v under SV judge.

Ivo: 5 time working champion. High score 287v

Check out (boxersvonbachbett) on YouTube for all our videos. Also:( boxersvonbachbett ) on Instagram.

Thank You for the warm reception!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, funny, but I only stumbled on your forum a couple days ago.
You have valid questions - reminds me of myself years ago. My passion for the Boxer took me the the German Bundasieger) (National IPO Working Boxer Championship) first time back in the 1990s. Wake up call. The Boxer is still the #2 most popular Schutzhund dog in Germany today. I went there the first time to buy a dog after my first dog was retired. To my surprise no one would sell me a Boxer for twice the cost of a German Shepherd. This is why you do not see Boxers in Police work. No one will sell an adult. I won’t eitherexcept to a K9 handler I honestly have a personal relationship with. It’s different with Boxers. The have empathy you don’t find in most other breeds. Big personality’s .. so good luck finding an great adult, especially as a K9. I certainly would never sell an adult Boxer to someone far away I don’t know! That said, I just sold 2 Boxers to Police Departments that I raised and trained myself. I kept 4 dogs out of G litter sold two as K9s and kept 2. I know the departments very well - so no problem. I have trained 100s of police K9s and have seen 1000s. You have a slight misconception about this. MOST ALL POLICE DOGS are a level or two BELOW the best IPO/IGP dogs. That is all breeds. Police Dogs are NOT breeding dogs. No one sells the best for this purpose period.
The Boxer Club of Munich actually discourages selling Boxers as police dogs!
Because of the difficulties purchasing adult Boxers we have leased the best boxers over 25 years and froze semen. We have over 12 stud dogs with frozen semen at this time. We have the ability to produce without importing dogs. I’ll send links to a couple of my own dogs IPO3 protection. Latter I’ll send some of the stud dogs winning ATIBOX world championships!!

Sam: the trial after below he received 289v under SV judge.

Ivo: 5 time working champion. High score 287v

Check out (boxersvonbachbett) on YouTube for all our videos. Also:( boxersvonbachbett ) on Instagram.

Thank You for the warm reception!
Also, we are certainly not hiding. Almost 2 million YouTube views on our Boxers. Published in 9 Boxer breed books. Probably close to 100 contacts a week. Been to Europe 15 times dog related. President of USABOXX for 10 years. VP of AWDF (all breed) for 6 years. We are well known around the world. Between my wife Cathy and myself (George) we’ve titled over 20 dogs in IPO and Police DPO, police certainly. We are Police cert judges. The goes on and on . . .
We sell puppies and frozen semen around the world. Only thing, we do not breed that often, people wait for very long time if they want a pup. We do not care about becoming some big commercial breeder. So really not sure what you mean by hiding? Not offended either.
After everything I’ve done with Boxers in the outside world, my favorite thing is still working my own dogs. Right now I’m working 3 young awesome young dogs. 6 months - 2 years. That is what matters most. Having fun with your dog, no matter what their quality’s.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
LOL, well thank you for the insight! And no when I said "Boxers," are hiding (in the US) it was not an insult, in "America," it is just a "Fact?" As aside from the "Midwest." (where you are) you just don't see "Boxer's, as K9's day to day ..., it's either gonna be a "Mal, or a "WL GSD." As a "Working Dog," and Boxer fan ... I found that "Annoying?"

And while I did not know, that the Boxer was the number 2, IPO dog in Germany? I did know that in "Europe," Boxers were still a "Working Dog!' :)

But in "America," aside from a few oddball ? Boxers, scattered about, and yes the Mid West, no one knows what a Boxer can do? And while I am just JQP average pet owner. :)

It quickly became apparent that if one wanted to do the IPO thing, and did not have a WL GSD, you were gonna be the "Odd Duck?"

And yes, I do tend to say "Euro Boxer," and that I never meant as an insult (either?) But my Girl Struddell was All America (LOL, the good and the bad) so any Boxer from across the pond was gonna be much larger than her. :)

But I will grant that the "German Boxer," is the OG Boxer, first brought to America in the early 1900's but it wasn't until after WWII, that Boxer's became popular in America once the "original dog's were "changed." Now they became either perfect "Working Dog," as a family pet? Or "Skinny and insipid," depending on what you want to do and your point of view, I suppose? :)

Now that was said by one of my friends on Germanshepardforum, not sure How I would up in the IPO and K9 forum's but whatever? Anyway not my dog but I knew what Boxer's can do ... I just had to find at least one? He's one of the "Big Dawg Guy's over there but kep a much lower profile than I did, so he's still there. :)

But that's how and why I found " Cliff vom Grand Kevin!" And he said ... "now that's a Dog! " So they knew of him over among all there furry monsters. And I have given you props on here if folks ask about a "Euro Boxer." And yes I'll say "German," going forward. I was sad to hear he passed away in 2014. He was a cool dog. :(

And again no "insult meant by saying," the "Boxers," are hiding in the "Midwest?" It's just that in the rest of the country day in day out you don't see "Boxers," doing the K9 thing? And most certainly your pulling more than your own weight for the "Breed!" So you know "Job well done and we thank you!"

Oh and most likely another topic? But I thought "Dog Buyers," were looking for "Green Dog's," to train? Not already trained adult's? What am I missing here?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think it’s great you and others “believe” in the Boxer. I am not offended at all - no not at all about the Midwest comment. It is true that most of the Boxer K9s are in the Midwest, but being a Police dog importer, trainer, former handler, and a breeder who has went to a lot of effort to build genetics for working Boxers is why the breed has a following within a days driving distance of where I live. It really isn’t possible for myself to provide an global or big picture opinion as to why and why not Boxers as working dogs are popular in the USA. It isn’t so straight forward. Again, I must stress that when discussing Police K9s, and as special and important as this K9 job is - this sector will never have best of the best of dogs. I’ll try to clarify this in a little more detail. A top IPO prospect will sell for more money, and likely have a better home, and most importantly have a better chance to show the breeders genetics in front of many many more people. Out of close to 1000 police K9s I have imported or bred - around 85 were Boxers. All over the US, a couple in Europe, but mostly in the Midwest. A few Boxers were imported, most I have bred. Two factors come into play. 1. Word of mouth. The department owns the K9, they make the final judgment, they see the Boxers in my area and like what they see. 2. If I don’t know you I will likely not raise a dog to 12-18 months and sell it as a police dog. As a matter of fact, I don’t really care if I ever sell another police dog - the handlers are usually great people, but they do not own the dog. Police = Politics = Old Hat 12-18 months is typically the age of a green dog. Green dogs have some training, why not? My 6 mo. old pup bite sleeve, tracks, searches,etc. Not really trained but started. There are a lot more working Boxers in the US than you may be aware of. I am certainly not the only breeder of German Boxers working boxers or whatever. Also, you MUST understand one very very very important point. The Best breeders of Every breed DO NOT want to sell there dogs as K9s. You will not find a famous GSD breeder in Germany that wants to sell a dog as a K9. Most all Police Dog prospects today come from Eastern Europe, they are MASS PRODUCED DOGS. All FCI Boxer Clubs (they control the breeding in their countries) in Europe forbid the mass production of Boxers !! I think we all agree on this. To be competitive in that world of k9 vendor today, most police dogs are yes . . from mass produced kennels. I will not go there. I buy the other breeds from Western Europe from small but elite breeders that don’t really want to sell to police, but we can sometimes make it with our reputation. Our departments must allow the dogs we procure to also integrate into the family. Malinios? A re-created breed with Boxer and Pit Bull blood in most ALL lines. I spent a week with the genetic engineer genius in Europe 25 years ago that reinvented the Mal breed. Biggest difference is the hybrid Mal can control their drives better, but still don’t have the nerves like Boxers. Bottom Line: most or military Police don’t care about purebreds like the past, most dogs are NOT and they do not care about registration. Also, what I said before. Boxer personality makes it pretty hard when you know the dog is disposable!! Would you sell your dog, right . .

IPO/IGP for specific breeds has more to do with the quality of the breed organisation than the breed. Germany BK has much going for it, many other countries not. I was one of the first if not the first to title a Boxer in Schutzhund. There have now been 100’s. Still, the USCA is by and far the best IPO organization and deservingly so. German Boxer organization in USA struggles.

I use the term “German Boxer” because that is the actual NAME of the breed. Also to distinguish between the three standards. The original standard from the country of origin is the “Deutscher Boxer” - translated - “German Boxer”. Euro Boxer was a branding campaign of a North American breeder that has been popularised. There is no such breed standard.

Not to often, but I’ve seen AKC American Boxers do really great in protection work . . good dog is a good dog. We don’t really care what kind of Boxer. It is just not so common. My first was 50/50 still miss him after 30 years. I loved that dog . . Rebel. Rebel was bigger than Cliff! But the most impressive dog I ever owned was GROBI !! Grobi is known as the King of Boxers. Very large and very formidable.

Yes, Cliff was a cool dog. The video was designed for people to wake up about the power of the breed. The magic of slo mo. Our dogs today are better dogs. During Cliffs time I had a dog named Aramas and that is the dog and bloodline that most people in the working dog world desire and talk about.

Here are a couple of grandchildren from Cliff, mostly Aramas, and Veith bloodlines though. Taken a couple months ago at about 15 weeks old?

I do not mean to take over your Blog. I hope it is positive vibe for yourself and others.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Good looking pups and they look like they have some really good drive and nerves.

Funny the one part of the video, with the vacuum. I did the same thing with my guy on a tug when he was a pup for a different reason, just so I could vacuum without him grabbing it. After about 15 minutes he ignored it and never had an issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good looking pups and they look like they have some really good drive and nerves.

Funny the one part of the video, with the vacuum. I did the same thing with my guy on a tug when he was a pup for a different reason, just so I could vacuum without him grabbing it. After about 15 minutes he ignored it and never had an issue.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts