Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, for the last two days Trakkar just hasn't been his normal self.  He wouldn't eat or drink and just looked very ill.  Last night I gave him a nice warm bath, dried him off and he layed on my lap covered with a blanket for almost 4 hours sleeping.  I know this is very gross, but during the night he must have had it coming out of both ends as I had a mess in the kennel this morning.  This morning, I called the vet and got him an appt.  The vet ran a number of tests and every thing came back normal.  He was very dehydrated, so they kept him for 4 hours and gave him 4 (I'm not sure what unit of measure) of liquids and an antibiotic shot and sent us home and told us to check back with them on Monday or call anytime if something changes for the worse.  Wow, that was a ton of liquids, because he's going pee about every 15 mins.  Well when we got home he looked better and even wanted to run a play with his sister Shyla, but you could still tell that he was weak. Trying to keep him calm and getting him to lay down didn't work too well.  He just wanted to be where I was right at my feet.  

At 7 p.m tonight, we left for a while and just got home.  He looked even better when we got home, he had even more energy and wanted to play and also wanted to drink some water and started acting more and more like himself.  I let him out to go to the bathroom and he did both duties, but looked to be struggling to go #2.  When he got done I reluctantly looked and now I know why he's been so ill.  He definetly ate something that he should not have, but I'm still trying to figure out where he got it.  He was all blocked up with some sort of string, plastic and something else that I'm not sure of.  I'm not sure what or when he got into this, but I haven't found anything in the house that appears to be destroyed.  Both Trakkar and Shyla stay in the house and are in their kennel when we are not in the immediate area.  The vet told use to give him a diet of boiled hamburger and rice for 3-5 days to help settle his belly.  Hopefully this is all it is and he starts to improve quickly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Aww poor Trakkar! Thats horrible that he hasn't had a very nice couple of days.
Good to hear you found the problem of what was making him feel so ill, and great to hear that hes being his normal self again :)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Is it possible he ate something in the kennel like a part of a blanket?  They are good at getting into things that should not....It sounds like he is on his way to feeling better especially if he is passing through what was in his belly....In addition to hamburger you could try chicken and rice sometimes that is a little easier on the belly...but boil the hamburger to get the grease out of it!!!!
On straining to poop...if needed you can give him a small amount of mineral oil to help coat the GI tract and help him pass it out...just be carefull because to much will cause the runs :)  I dont know how old or how big he is but maybe just a teaspoon of it....
Glad things seem to be going well....watch for additional vomiting that may smell of feces or for him to try to poop and pass nothing!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, Trakkar and Shyla already destroyed their blankets a month ago, so that was not in the kennel for his after dinner snack this time.  Just the kennel itself.     Trakkar and Shyla are both 8 months old next Wednesday.  Trakkar weighed in at 45 pounds today at the vet.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
You would be suprised at how long something can stay in their system...it was probably something new....but at the same time it could have been a left over from the blanket a month ago.....If you try the mineral stay with 1 tablespoon on his size!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts