Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI boxers friends!! My Gus will be one year old on July 4. I am looking to start to transition from puppy food to adult food. In the past, my other boxers have had issues with food, and took a long time to figure out what worked for them. Its been a while, so I am looking for some advice on the best way to go about transitioning, and a good brand that will keep him healthy, and a smooth transition.
Thanks,
Carol Ann

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
The general rule when transitioning food is over 4 weeks. week 1, 25% new/75% old if all going well
week 2, 50% new/50% old
week 3, 75% new/25% old
week 4, 100% new
I don't know what your feeding now but if he is doing well on it I'd just go with the same but adult formula , you may even transition quicker but it never hurts to take the slower route.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Like Lindar51 said just go slowly mixing the food. I used Royal Canin Boxer for my dogs for a while but I have switched to Purina for now it seems to suit their needs. I had a very bad experience with grain free dog food so I can't recommend any of them. The vets in my area recommend Purina or Royal Canin products.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think you will find a range of answers from 8-12 mo of age. Most "great" foods come in an all life stages variety anyway so it won't be too hard to switch. I think I ended up switching around the 7 mo mark myself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI boxers friends!! My Gus will be one year old on July 4. I am looking to start to transition from puppy food to adult food. In the past, my other boxers have had issues with food, and took a long time to figure out what worked for them. Its been a while, so I am looking for some advice on the best way to go about transitioning, and a good brand that will keep him healthy, and a smooth transition.
Thanks,
Carol Ann
Have you ever thought of feeding raw. My 3 boxers are fed on a raw diet,
Thanks,
Carol Ann
[/Q

1 - 5 of 5 Posts