Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI boxers friends!! My Gus will be one year old on July 4. I am looking to start to transition from puppy food to adult food. In the past, my other boxers have had issues with food, and took a long time to figure out what worked for them. Its been a while, so I am looking for some advice on the best way to go about transitioning, and a good brand that will keep him healthy, and a smooth transition.
Thanks,
Carol Ann

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
The general rule when transitioning food is over 4 weeks. week 1, 25% new/75% old if all going well
week 2, 50% new/50% old
week 3, 75% new/25% old
week 4, 100% new
I don't know what your feeding now but if he is doing well on it I'd just go with the same but adult formula , you may even transition quicker but it never hurts to take the slower route.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Like Lindar51 said just go slowly mixing the food. I used Royal Canin Boxer for my dogs for a while but I have switched to Purina for now it seems to suit their needs. I had a very bad experience with grain free dog food so I can't recommend any of them. The vets in my area recommend Purina or Royal Canin products.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think you will find a range of answers from 8-12 mo of age. Most "great" foods come in an all life stages variety anyway so it won't be too hard to switch. I think I ended up switching around the 7 mo mark myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
HI boxers friends!! My Gus will be one year old on July 4. I am looking to start to transition from puppy food to adult food. In the past, my other boxers have had issues with food, and took a long time to figure out what worked for them. Its been a while, so I am looking for some advice on the best way to go about transitioning, and a good brand that will keep him healthy, and a smooth transition.
Thanks,
Carol Ann
Have you ever thought of feeding raw. My 3 boxers are fed on a raw diet,
Thanks,
Carol Ann
[/Q

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The general rule when transitioning food is over 4 weeks. week 1, 25% new/75% old if all going well
week 2, 50% new/50% old
week 3, 75% new/25% old
week 4, 100% new
I don't know what your feeding now but if he is doing well on it I'd just go with the same but adult formula , you may even transition quicker but it never hurts to take the slower route.
Thank you for your response. I have started to try to mix in Merrick. So far he seems to like it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like Lindar51 said just go slowly mixing the food. I used Royal Canin Boxer for my dogs for a while but I have switched to Purina for now it seems to suit their needs. I had a very bad experience with grain free dog food so I can't recommend any of them. The vets in my area recommend Purina or Royal Canin products.
Thanks. Gus has been on Purina pro Plan for puppy food. Did really well with it. I have started to add Merrick brand to it only because I hear bad reviews frequently for the Purina plan, and good things about Merrick. Gus is my fourth Boxer, two out of the for passed away at 5 and 6 years old. I am trying to avoid any mistakes that I may have made with feeding in the past. I am trying to keep Gus healthy and not have a repeat of the last two. So I have cut alot of things That may have contributed to an untimely demise.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I would caution you strongly about grain free dog food check the FDA listings of the dog foods that were associated with DCM if a dog food is named there that means more than 10 dogs have died from food related DCM. Purina is a highly recommended food by almost all the Vets I know and one who is a personal friend of mine who went thru food related DCM with me and my dogs I lost. She had since witnessed several other dogs pass from it the other Vets I use have also had a number of dogs of different breeds succumb to food related DCM. I trust what I hear from people I know and have seen the deaths from boutique dog foods never again will that happen to me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would caution you strongly about grain free dog food check the FDA listings of the dog foods that were associated with DCM if a dog food is named there that means more than 10 dogs have died from food related DCM. Purina is a highly recommended food by almost all the Vets I know and one who is a personal friend of mine who went thru food related DCM with me and my dogs I lost. She had since witnessed several other dogs pass from it the other Vets I use have also had a number of dogs of different breeds succumb to food related DCM. I trust what I hear from people I know and have seen the deaths from boutique dog foods never again will that happen to me.
Thank you for the information. I am sorry you had to experience that. I will definitely get on that site and do my research !!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh sad...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts