Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our boxer will not go in her travel crate any more. She willingly goes in the wire crate at home when we go out (and even goes in on her own some when we are around so she is very comfortable with it). She used to use the travel crate when we went on trips but starting this past fall she would not go in willingly (even with a peanut butter laden kong and she does not turn down peanut butter ever). We dont want force her into it as it just reinforces the aversion to the crate.

The only thing that we see that has changed is that we have made more frequent trips this year with our daughter at college and Roxy hates riding in the car (she starts shaking when she sees evidence that she might be going in the car).

Any ideas on what we can do? We have another trip coming up in two weeks and we would like to take my daughter out to dinner while we are there (we can't leave Roxy free in the house as my daughter has her dog that will be crated).

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Hmm that is strange but I would assume it has to do with the car. Since she seems not to like car travel she probably associates her travel crate with the car. I really have no clue what to do about that. Is there someone who can house/dog sit at home while you are gone. While my daughter is in college she has done tis for neighbors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm that is strange but I would assume it has to do with the car. Since she seems not to like car travel she probably associates her travel crate with the car. I really have no clue what to do about that. Is there someone who can house/dog sit at home while you are gone. While my daughter is in college she has done tis for neighbors.
We do but even there we have had to take the wire crate to their house now (we used to just take the travel crate which is far less of a hassle). We may try getting a different travel crate and not use it in the car--she does pretty well in the back of the SUV without being crated. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts