Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are planning on a trip to the Florida Keys from Toronto, during Christmas break.
We will be traveling in a 30 foot RV. This is our first major trip with Gypsy and I was just wondering if anyone has any tipr to make a trip more smooth with a dog

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Not sure never did a long trip in a RV. I do think you have to bring documentation showing gypsy is updated with all appropriate shots. I'm pretty sure border patrol asks. Coming and going for both sides.

Might want to also check for vets where you will be staying before hand in case of an emergency. I know a couple people who go camping with dogs and do an emergency pack, Bandages, disinfectant, etc.

Maybe some one who has done the RV thing will chime in with more advice:cheers:

·
Registered
142 Posts
We take 3 boxers with us. Let him have a couch with his blanket on it.
Stop often. Usually you can find a spot behind big stores if nowhere else to let him run around with out a street nearby he could run into. We put a water bowl near the fridge or somewhere out of the way.
Yes have his current shot records with you in case border patrol asks.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Sorry it took me so long to get this and respond. I've had a lot going on.

The advice I was given from someone who had traveled at lot with multiple dogs is below. Some may seem obvious, but I'm listing everything she said (aside from the records as you have that).

Ensure the leash / harness is on before opening doors.

When you give water before and during, don't give them a lot as it may make them / help them get car sick

If she does get car sick / start drooling a lot or panting- opening a window enough to let some fresh air in helps-

She may not want to eat or drink while traveling- some dogs don't

If she likes the crate, she may travel best in it

When you stop, make sure you park away from other people. This can help her to stay calm, and keep her from scratching up the interior of a car or RV. Some people have a tendency to want to say "Hi'.

I hope this helps and that you have a great trip!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much these are all great tips. I am so excited and nervous at the same time.
We are going to do small weekend trips over the summer to get her ready and used to it before out big trip at Christmas. 🤞

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
I think you will have a wonderful trip. Back when we had a motorhome our little dog traveled with us. He was right at home in the rv. The only thing I occasionally encountered were other rv'ers thing their dogs outside the motorhome . The parks are real good about loose dogs..you don't do it and you do clean up. LOL I hope ou take us on your travels, would love to hear all about your adventure and see lots of pictures.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Thank you so much these are all great tips. I am so excited and nervous at the same time.
We are going to do small weekend trips over the summer to get her ready and used to it before out big trip at Christmas. 🤞
Meant to ask you earlier Gypsy'sMom if you own the RV? Cause I was going to mention that would be cool cause you could do weekend trips with her to get her ready for the big haul. lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
How did Gypsy take the entire trip? My girlfriend and I would also like to go on a long journey and take our dog with us. But we don't want her to struggle, though we are also going on a big RV. She likes short car rides, but she gets stressed out when we talk about more extended trips. Even during 4 hours car trips, she starts to feel bad and wants us to stop. But, on the other side, she likes when we take the train! She adores it. She is super excited when we approach the train station, and as soon as we get on the train, she just falls asleep. That's the only thing that makes me check the table times on https://www.dbfahrplan.com/de/ and take the train, as I wouldn't say I like trains that much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, It is not hard to travel with a dog. I went on a vacation to Europe together with my family and my dog. Imagine spending in a plane more than ten hours. Well, I think it would be hard to keep it quiet, but everything went well, and the dog supported the entire trip perfectly. Across Europe, we traveled by trains booked on https://www.dbauskunft.com/de/. They allow passengers to have a pet on board.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts