Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to treat a UTI at home without antibiotics? I heard of using cranberry juice, increasing fluid intake, makeing them go out often, and something called D-Mannose? It's a natural occuring sugar found in citric fruits that supposedly block the bacteria from attaching to the urinary tract?  I think Jetta has a UTI but I cannot get her to a vet for a week or so...we had unexpected car problems and have no extra money...just enough for the house payment so I was hoping to treat the UTI with home remedies in the meantime to lessen her discomfort etc until we can get her to the vet...any ideas?

And please do not judge me on not being able to get her to the vet...I really can't take any of that stuff...I feel horrible about it but it is either the vet or the house...and I don't want Jetta on the cold snowy streets...though she would keep me warm in my hubby's truck bed...

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I know all kinds of things for people (being a CNA in a nursing home help)... but as far has puppies I guess I am of no help. I understand the money situation with the vet... we are also tight on money... and MOST everyone else is due to the holiday season.

Hopefully someone will be able to give you some GREAT advice! Good Luck!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I think the cranberry would really help alot.  Not sure what else.... They have a cranberry tablet, but don't know how much to give a pup.  Hopefully sharon can help.  Hope Jetta feels better soon.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, I feel horrible that she is peeing all over...that's the main symptom...lots of pee frequent accidents...she does seem to drink a lot...but she always has...sigh..poor baby...

·
Registered
663 Posts
I still think you might need to check into getting her blood sugar tested.  First signs of diabetes are increased thirst and increased urination.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Sorry, don't know what to do about a UTI at home, but maybe you could ask your vet if you can pay at a later date.  I had to take Delilah once, for something urgent but not an emergency and I told them I didn't have the money right now so they billed me, even though they have signs specifically saying "payment expected at time of service" or whatever.  Oh, it will probably be harder to turn you down if you just show up with pup and urine sample in hand :)
Also, do you have a credit card for emergencies?  I understand if that is just another can of worms too.
Like you've already said, just have lots of fresh water on hand, maybe flavor with some chicken broth to get her to drink more, and provide lots of opportunities to go outside so she doesn't feel like she has to hold it for a length of time.
Don't worry, she will be okay- she knows you love her, we know you love her and you are doing your best :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Its okay sweetie. everyones budgets are really tight right now too.  I don't know if cranberry juice will work on dogs or not. Things will get better.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I don't know if she would drink Cranberry juice, but I have heard Sadies mom talk about giving her Cranberry extract I believe.  She has been dealing with lots of UTI problems.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I've given cranberry extract which worked well, also vitamin C (ester-C) - both of these are available at health food stores.  You don't want to let it go too long, though, if these remedies don't show improvement in a few days.  

There is a program called Care Credit that you might want to look into; it provides financing for various medical things, including veterinary expenses - http://www.carecredit.com/.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I used to give cranberry juice to my greyhound.  When I got him, his urine was extremely strong.  Had him tested for pretty much everything, all came back negative.  I gave him about 25% cranberry juice in his water and it helped out.  Any stronger mix than that and he wouldn't drink it.  Seemed to enjoy the 25%, though.  Definitely helped with the strength of his pee.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Sadie has been battling with UTI's for a long time now...

Mom2BoNLaila\";p=\"55018 said:
I still think you might need to check into getting her blood sugar tested.  First signs of diabetes are increased thirst and increased urination.
With the research I've done and in talking to my vet, Jetta would be a little on the young side to have diabetes. I think you'd be fine waiting a week to check for that, and try not to worry about it for now.(hard not to worry about the unknown, but I think the chances of diabetes are unlikely)

Yes, cranberry extract is awesome. We feed Sadie 2 tsps 3 times per week, and we just mix it in with her kibble and she eats it right up. Also we give her Omega 3 fatty acids...they don't help with UTI's, but they help build a stong immune system (they are  good for joints)

Like, others said increase water intake, make sure she is drinking lots...also you could try wiping her area with a soft cloth (after pee)...or try using some aloe spray, then wiping. This will help with keeping her area clean so she doesn't keep infecting herself with bacteria.

Good luck, and don't feel bad about not being able to take her to the vet right away.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I have used the Cranberry extracts that we got at GNC.   The only prob I have with cranberry juice is all the sugar in it or sugar substitutes.

However ,if the UTI gets bad, by not treating it with meds, it can really cause more harm than first off.  Also what meds were you on when she had them.  Do you have any left over you can administer?   Or just call your vet for a refil without having to go in for a visit?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She has never had a UTI before...I am only guess this is what it is as she has been peeing alot lately and having a lot of urinary accidents...right now there is no pink tint to it or anything, just more urination than usuall

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
You can try the cranberry extract, plenty of fresh water, keep her vaginal area really clean at home.....I would first call your vet and explain what is going on and maybe they will sell you some med's without seeing her, or test the urine without seeing her, or allow you to make payments on the visit.... You may pay the same for the med's as you would the cranberry extract....

If you go extract and it goes more then about 4 to 5 days then i would take her in as soon as you can, UTI can lead to other problems if left untreated and it is very hard to clear them without antibiotics, watch for blood in the urine.  After she goes you can wipe her and look at the paper towel for blood trace, if you start getting blood issues, I would try to get some med's for her.

I know that I dispense med's for suspected UTI's for people who are short on cash because if it is not a UTI the med's dont hurt anything....and the symptoms are pretty staight forward....drinking alot/peeing alot and frequent/cant hold it/licking at self etc.....

Good luck.....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
she drinks a lot, pees a lot and often, has accidents if we dont respond to the bell within  1 sec..sometimes can't even wait til we get to the door...she has accidents in her crate now...she doesn't really lick herself though...

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
[quote="aquagirl900\";p=\"55250":dmt9wds3]she drinks a lot, pees a lot and often, has accidents if we dont respond to the bell within

·
Registered
744 Posts
Also important to note that the longer it goes untreated, the deeper seated the infection can become and the more resistant to antibiotics. I'm not one to automatically run for antibiotics, but I've had UTI's in the past and man, they suck, so I usually take them in when they begin showing symptoms. I have taken samples in and dropped them off for analysis on more than one occasion without them having to see my dog, however, I'm there quite a bit for health testing, other routine care visits and/or the occasional odd mystery illness that tends to pop up in at least one of the members of my zoo. If it's been a while since they've last seen her, they may have you come in, but it's worth a call if you can't get her in to see if they can do anything for you.

Good luck!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
she is still having accidents...but she doesn't have a pink tint and doesn't seem to have trouble urinating and doesn't seem to lick as though in pain...so I don't know...we've been putting water in her food so she has to drink to eat, lol...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts