Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in a new pet store the other day picking up some treats for my new pup and the guy working was telling me that its good to get two types of treats. We were saying that we want them to be tiny as we will be using them for training... he said that we would need one kind for training and one kind for "just because". Something about the dog not working as hard for a treat she gets "just because"...wow typing it out really makes it sound ridiculous to me!

Can anyone confirm for me that this guy was trying to up sell? Or is it in fact true?

Thanks! I'm new to dog ownership and training :?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
That is a new one on me! Definitely tho, the smaller treats do work well for training, I used to carry a little pouch with Samson's treats when we went to class. Now, here at home, I don't do that...I make a lot of my own treats, so I just take a few of out of the frig or freezer when I need them...I think tho, it is a good idea to have a second kind, I have a cookie jar that I keep biscuits and bones in just because... :)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
No, that guy was an idiot that was trying to get you to buy more crap.  Actually as a trainer, I feel that the only time your dog should get treats is when they are training.  If you have your dog sit for 30 seconds at some odd point in the day for a treat, you just reinforced training.  It doesn't have to be a hardcore training session.  Anything you're doing throughout the day can become a training session.  Also, if you want to save some money, you can make your own treats.  Several of us posted treat recipes for our pups in the Boxer Belly section.  You can make as much or as little as you want.  They are more healthy than what you buy in the petstore, you know what is in them, and your dog is even more likely to love them because they are gonna smell them cooking and be drooling over them before they are even done.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
For training for us we use cut up cheese string, turkey fat free hot dog, and purdue chix short cuts (not flavored).

The chix is the best.  So if she does something extra good, she gets chix.   And trust me, she will work for it.

Cheese and hot dog are soft and yummy, and easy to train with.

Thats what we use - good luck!!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the tips. The guy did seem like he was reaching for that extra "add on" geez we were buying enough that night, but I guess anything for a bigger sale...
lillyzmomma\";p=\"22024 said:
Also, if you want to save some money, you can make your own treats. Several of us posted treat recipes for our pups in the Boxer Belly section.
I think I will be trying this. The recipes look yum!  :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts