Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're feeding Canidae...but what are some quality brands of treats as comparible to Canidae?  I know they make a snap biscuit.  We treat Jaxon for going out to potty and to go in his crate.  I have found Nutro Natural I believe they are called at our feed store and also the pet store.  Also Bil Jac.  I didn't think these were very good quality though?  Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
we feed nutro natural kibble..the lamb and rice...it was rated with a 98% as far as the food goes...and from what ive heard bil-jack has a bad rating but i used it for yrs for my american bully and he was very healthy..

soryy cant help more than that.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I like a variety of hard treats and soft treats.

For soft, we use Zukes - http://www.zukes.com/shop/index.php?cPath=2

Zukes can be found at many different stores, our local Grocery Store is carrying them for 2.99 a bag which is a hell of a lot cheaper than some of the pet stores that sell for 4.99 per bag.

Also this is a SUPER buy.   I really dont try to feed treats with grains due to our raw diet but you cannot beat a bag of these for 2.99

http://toysandtreats.petedge.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=44473&CategoryId=195&categoryId=231&&

Bil Jack liver treats are good, as well as the freeze dried treats - can grab those at petco or petsmart.

Sometimes I will take the natural balace rolls and cut them up into chunks - those are at petco - petsmart too.    

However I used many human food for treats.   If I am teaching them something like potty or a new behavior, I get the best treats ever, ones that they are going to want to learn because they want the treat so darn bad.    Good ones I have used are -

String cheese cut up
Fat Free Turkey Hotdogs cut up
Cut up piece of boiled chix

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I second the Zukes.  Oggie likes both the peanut butter and chicken ones.  

I like the Wellness treats.  Harder to find but good ingredients.  I get the puppy treats but they have adult versions.

Wellness puppy treats

I personally avoid Bil-jac.  Scary ingredients:

Chicken liver, chicken, chicken by-product meal, corn, glycerin, high fructose corn syrup, wheat flour, propylene glycol, phosphoric acid, salt, calcium propionate, and potassium sorbate and BHA and citric acid (preservatives), iron oxide.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
We do use bil jack here and there, I agree, not the best ingredients, but they are our bad treat that i do allow them to have from time to time - They are sold in the Petco and Petsmart, and if our normal Healthy Animal Store is closed and we need treats, we will get them!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Yeah I hear ya, sometimes you gotta spoil them.  Pretty much every dog seems to love bil-jac too.  I notice Oggie gets bored of the same treats after a while.  I'm trying your approach though, use good healthy human food as treats whenever possible.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I checked out the recipes that you posted on this site I'm going to try them.  We got these big dog bone looking treats because Duke will swallow small ones whole and I didn't want him to choke or anything so we got bigger ones.  He doesn't seem to like them.  The lady at the bank gave him a treat and he wouldn't eat it.  He really only likes the ones at are expensive.  Like the beggin strips (we usually only get them on special occations because they are to expensive to give all the time).  Any suggestions?  Something that tastes really good but won't break the bank?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Oggie really likes bananas.  If I have them on hand I'll give him some fresh, or sometimes I cut 'em up into bits and freeze them.  Then give him a piece for a treat.  They are good in kongs too with peanut butter.  Doesn't get much cheaper than that.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Maybe I will try that.  He is so picky.  Sometimes he just looks at me like Come on Mom Really would you eat it.  I just have to laugh, I can't believe how picky he is.  He's like my boyfriend.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I hear you about the choking though.  I got Oggie some "Breathies"  that looked good for chewing, and they look basically like strips of bacon, and instead of chewing on them he just tried to swallow it whole. I had to reach in his mouth and pull it out! Scary stuff.  I basically have to break them up and soak them in warm water to make them safe for him to eat.  I won't buy those again.  But he's a puppy so he's pretty limited on what he can eat

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Well for some reason I got a dog that likes to choke.  I have to sit and watch him eat so he doesn't eat to fast.  He has started choking like 4 times now.  And I have had to save him.  The first time I sat there afterwards and started to cry.  I was so scared.  So now I sit with him and tell him slow down, hes getting better but still.  So I try to watch what kind of treats I give him.  He just so picky.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I didn't think of that, that is a great idea.  Thats why I love this website.  I was raised around alot of dogs (my mom breeds poms) but i still have a ton of questions.  So this is great. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
good ideas on how to slow down the eating. maverick inhales his food too and sometimes chokes. Im gonna try that mug and cookie sheet thing.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
We put a ch ew toy in Sadie's dish because she eats like a maniac! And it has worked really well, it slows her down...a little anyway LOL. And we also use Zukes mini naturals, she really likes the chicken and peanut butter flavors.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts