Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its getting pretty hot here and Tito usually during the day prefers moist treats instead of biscuits becuase they're really dry and make him thirsty. I've gotten him these Oven Baked ones which he loves in the evenings and inside but he never eats them if its hot or sunny. I looked at every moist type meaty treats I could find. I looked at Pedigree, Purina, Carry Cuts and a couple others ones I normally avoid for his kibble. All of them have BHA, so I can't feed him treats from these companies either. Anyone know of any similar treats without BHA. Also how bad is it really? Would a dog eating 1-3 treats a day preserved with BHA be similar to a person smoking 1-3 cigarettes? I know its a a human carcinogen and so it must be bad for dogs as well but I wasn't able to find anything conclusive online. Thanks for your time guys.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
IMO try making some of our own.  Stuff like Zukes Naturals are good.  Natural Balance makes rolls that do not contain any chemicals etc.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Artificial preservatives, like BHA, BHT, and Ethoxyquin have been linked to cancers, however I don't know if it is similiar to smoking and if you can compare the two.
I tend to stay away from these ingredients because I've had a dog with seizures before and that was those were the first things I was told to eliminate and stay away from.  
Have you tried chicken fillets or sweet potato chews? You may be able to find some meaty treats through Drs Fosters and Smith. Here is a link for you to check out.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... ?c=3307+19

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Sometimes I buy lean chicken sausages or beef hot dogs and cut them up into treat sizes and keep 'em in the fridge.  The scary thing is that there are bigtime restrictions on BHA in human food, but not as strict on pet food!

You can also get tubs of freeze dried 100% beef liver, no preservatives necessary.  It can be pricey but it lasts and the best part is it smells like a moist treat to them, but easy to feed because it's dried.  

Of course with either of these, the gas may blow you out of the room..... :lol:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Why not a Kong stuffed with PB & yogurt or one of these tasty recipes. I also give mine popsicles in the summer, yummm

KONG FILLINGS

Cheerios and peanut butter

Chunks of Apple and peanut butter

Cooked macaroni and melted (not runny) velveeta cheese

Bananas and unsweetened applesauce - freeze

Cream cheese, peanut butter, and applesauce - freeze

Applesauce with chunks of fruit - freeze

Bananas, cooked oatmeal, applesauce, and yogurt - freeze

1 - 5 of 5 Posts