Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We currently give Lola Milk Bones and Pup-Peroni as treats.  I'd like to lean away from the Pup-Peroni as I don't think it's very healthy for dogs.  Any good ideas on what treats to give?  Also, we got a kong and filled it with the puppy kong filler...looks like cheese wiz for dogs....she loved it, but it made her sick.  Is there anything else that we can put in there besides the filler?  Any treats that are not safe at all?  Sorry for all the questions!  Thanks for the help!  I can't wait to be a pro at this and be able to give advice  :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
I fill our kongs with dry kibble coated in peanut butter.  I warm the pb so it coats the food easily.  I also line it sometimes with sandwich cheese and add the mixture in.  Somtimes I will add in bits of apple or chunks of bananas.

As far as treats go, we use Authority Liver treats.  They are small and we can break them in half.  I occasionally use homemade treats too.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'm going straight onto the web to find me a Kong!!! :drool:

·
Registered
977 Posts
...what size should i get? Do i get the oblong one? Red: 8,5cm or 10,5cm. Black 13cm or 15cm.
Or the ball one with little holes to put food in?
Or the other one called a stuff-a-ball (with slits)- 8cmx8cm or 10cmx10cm?
:signhelp: It's worse than choosing shoes!!
:eek:

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I have the large classic kong. I think it's the 4.25 inch one. Sorry no cm.?? I was never any good with math!  :? I know they make an extra large, an extreme, and a king. I wouldn't get anything bigger than an extra large, I think it would be too much of a treat!  8O
Here is a link to Kong. It also has recipes on there.

:wink: http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html

·
Registered
521 Posts
here's a question for you guys.

we have a kong for Beckham, and usually we put hard treats in it and he totally loves it!

when you fill them with paenut butter and yogurt, do you bring it outside?? i'd imagine it would do a NUMBER on whatever surface it was on!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
When I fill them with peanut butter and yogurt, I freeze them before giving it to Maddie. It's never once made a mess on the floor, and usually she is on the carpet. Even if I place a treat on the tile, she will drag it to the carpet. I guess you can let Beckham go outside with it. Shouldn't hurt anything.  :D

·
Registered
405 Posts
we freeze peanut butter or canned pumpkin (not spiced) in them, they love both. Freezing makes them last longer. I will tuck little bones into the peanut butter too which gives them a good battle to get the bones out.  there are big bones that fit into them too which protrude a little out the end...those seem to occupy them for a long time too. I haven't been able to find any lately that fit right...although one Kong we bought had a free one included and it was the perfect fit.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I find that the peanut butter doesn't leak out because it's so thick.  When I use yoghurt, I freeze the Kong for a few hours first.  Less mess that way and it lasts MUCH longer.  It's also a nice treat on a hot day.

Recently on an Irish site I saw a bubble machine that comes with chicken & liver flavoured bubble mixture specifically for dogs - how cool is that???!!!  I am sooooo tempted to get one!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I just finished a box of Nutro Ultra treats and now I bought a bag of Natural Balance potato & duck treats.  Both have gone over well and I think they are quite a bit healthier than puperoni sticks (which I've fed as well).

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I'd definitely steer away from the Pup-a-roni...The healthier you can do the better....Definitely freeze the kong when you mix in the PB & yougurt, more challenging for your dog...Authority is what I used to use when I was taking Samson to obedience classes, I liked the size of the treats.. Now I make my own cookies and just keep bags of them in the freezer..Take out a few every day for training and they both love them,, :)

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the advice.  Silly question....I like the idea of peanut butter, but what kind?  And what kind of yougurt?  
I heard baby carrots and peeled apples are good treats too!  Does anyone give their dogs those?
I'm going to definitely steer away from the Pup-a-roni, only problem is she loves it, so we only give her a little bit at night when she goes into her crate.  I'd like to find something healthy that she will love just as much!  Poor thing is sick right now, so no treats for her at the moment!  She's on a bland diet of chicken and rice for a few days to settle her stomach.  Little girl had me up 5 times last night because she had to go to the bathroom!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
[quote="Alicia\";p=\"6693":1uyqwye9]Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
If you are sharing the Peanut butter with your family, any kind will do, I use creamy in mine...For the yogurt, any low fat plain that you can get will work....

The carrots are great, also green beans..Apples are good too and bananas....Sometimes I cut up a banana and add it to the Kongs...Stay away from brocoli, lots of gas....Lol

·
Registered
616 Posts
I haven't tried carrots but both boys love apple bits.  I had to go easy at first - the first time it didn't settle too well.  I use pb with the lowest sodium and sugar content possible.  You should use non-flavored yogurt.  Usually found in large containers - not single servings.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I've ordered my Kong - Red extra large - hope they wrap it properly in a box - Don't want my postman thinking it's an adult "love-toy"  8O :lol: !!!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
[quote="caillou\";p=\"6742":19utrlny]I've ordered my Kong - Red extra large - hope they wrap it properly in a box - Don't want my postman thinking it's an adult "love-toy"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts