Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
There is no such thing as a tri colored Boxer they may have found a way to AKC register them but that doesn't mean some manipulations weren't involved here after all I have seen some pretty horrible looking dogs AKC registered so that's not a guarantee on anything. A much more serious question before buying a puppy is health concerns are the parents tested for heart disease and DM and other genetically passed ailments? You may buy a dog with a unique color but is it healthy? A tri colored Boxer is most likely not genetically pure.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
This thread is 3 years old however the information is still correct. There is no such thing as a AKC registered purebred try-color boxer. This would be a backyard breeder in my opinion that cares little about the long term heath or the betterment of the breed itself. Having lost my boxer to cancer at a early age of 5, I would never ever buy from a breeder who does not genetically test their dogs prior to breeding and who does not follow breed standards .(that being said i realize nothing in life is guaranteed but I'd like a good shot at long term health).

·
Super Moderator
7,136 Posts
Yes actually! Im looking all over the place for a boxer. I have one that is 1.5 years old and his parents are AKC registered and we paid $800 for him.Hes full blooded and we REALLY want another one but that breeder has stopped breeding. So i found a lady on facebook and all of her dogs look like legit boxers...except that stud she is going to be using for this litter. (which from the sounds of it, shes used in past litters) but he is black but tri colors with some white and a tan chest and leg ( like a Rottie would have! ) id really like proof from AKC on this becasue boxers have been my dream dog for YEARS and ive never seem a tri color.
Our breed does not have a tri-coat. I would avoid any breeder that is attempting to pass them off as purebred.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Kaco, is a member here and a legitimate Boxer Breeder, Kaco Boxers Reg'd

And if she say's that Tri Colors are "Not," possible in the Boxer Breed?? Then well you know it's not possible! Now if you ask can it be done??? Well sure, introduce the color/breed or dog a few generations ago and breed back to a PB Boxer! And Bingo in a few year's there you go! A dog that look's like a Boxer of another color but is not! A DNA would tell you how that color got there. :)

Now if that is what you want that is fine! But you have to understand that the dog is not really, despite,the funny face and ... odd coloration?? A true Boxer, the "Temperament may be the same or different??" It could be better it could be worst??

It's a cross breed dog! Now there is nothing wrong with a cross breed dog but they should not be represented as something they are not??? And that much aside a "real breeder," has a "Web Site," FB." only as an interface ... pretty much says scam artists??

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is no such coat colour in our breed. Brindles and fawns are the only coat colour that our breed can produce. Boxers that are white are still either a fawn or brindle, the reason they are white is due to excessive flashing that covers the body. If you bred that white to a solid plain fawn or brindle you would not get a single white puppy. It is not a white gene, it is a flashy marking gene that has gone crazy.

Every several years the internet gets flooded with these rare "tri coloured" boxers and people claiming they are purebred. First off it's impossible, secondly the term purebred is loosely used. Just because a dog looks like a certain breed does not mean they are purebred. Purebred means registered/papered, it provides proof of said breed. No registry acknowledges tri-coloured boxers....why? Because it's an impossible coat colour for our breed. There is no recessive gene, lol. Some where way back in the blood line someone introduced a tri coloured coat ( Rottie, Doberman). They selectively kept a tri coloured offspring and then bred it back to a " purebred" over the course of multiple generations. The bloodline is unfortunately tainted with this gene now but it is not purebred, it's an unpapered cross breed.

Just because something looks like a boxer, doesn't mean that is what it is.
I beg to differ. The AKC has in fact registered several, and at least one as black and tan in 2001. DNA verified View attachment 136840 w

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes actually! Im looking all over the place for a boxer. I have one that is 1.5 years old and his parents are AKC registered and we paid $800 for him.Hes full blooded and we REALLY want another one but that breeder has stopped breeding. So i found a lady on facebook and all of her dogs look like legit boxers...except that stud she is going to be using for this litter. (which from the sounds of it, shes used in past litters) but he is black but tri colors with some white and a tan chest and leg ( like a Rottie would have! ) id really like proof from AKC on this becasue boxers have been my dream dog for YEARS and ive never seem a tri color.
just sayin

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
The AKC routinely lets people register Boxers that are of very poor quality health problems bad temperaments ect so seeing the words AKC on a dog really doesn't mean a whole lot to me when I am buying a dog I have seen some absolutely horrible looking dogs bragging AKC. I look more for health temperament proper color of the dog and appearance if it doesn't look right I don't want it.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I beg to differ. The AKC has in fact registered several, and at least one as black and tan in 2001. DNA verified View attachment 136840 w
The link does not work for me? At any rate I would question the result's anyway. As a truly "Black Colored Boxer," is not possible, the color for "Black," does not exist, in the "Boxer Gene Pool." Black Boxer Dogs | Can the Black Boxer Exist | Unique Breed Coloring

The "German's," created the standards for "what is a Boxer?" And somehow back in the day, after WW II, Boxer 2.0. The American Line Boxer, met enough of what they wanted/expected to be "acceptable." Was "created," and if the "Dog Men," of old had wanted a "Black Boxer?" They would have done so ... 80 year's ago and today (A Black Boxer) would not be a question. But they didn't and so it is.

And so a "100,%" pure "Black Boxer," is not "Physically Possible," because the gene for the Color Black, does not exist, in the Boxer Gene Pool? Now I know "Zero," about Onxy? But if, the AKC let him in? Well there you go? The AKC does not care about "Health Testing or Temperament?" They do "Conformation," If the Dog "Look's," like what it is suppose to be ... "Good Enough" per the AKC. And if one is curious as to, where that standard tends to "Fail," a lot." An AKC GSD, is a great "Test Bed," you have your American Line GSD, Your Show lines GSD, West German Show lines and the "Big Daddy," (apparently) Working Line GSD!

Or you know combo's there of. The AKC makes no distention? If it look's like a GSD ... that is what is .... "Good Luck," with your choice. :)

But "Boxer's," temperament wise? Are pretty contestant? American Line or Euro? Different dog's actually based on what they can do? But the AKC (save) for "Show," time does not seem to care? One is kinda "seriously Goofy," cough, cough Al Boxer and no one as much Euro. But "both," are "safe," for most people. :)

And back on point, if "Onxy," has produced pup's since 2001, well you would see "Black Boxer's" from his line by now? So most likely "Black Boxer's," produced by him are out there by now? But it does not change anything? The Gene for the color Black, is not in a "Boxer's "DNA."

If the Gene for the color "Black, was in the "Boxer's," DNA? It would not have taken 60 years for "Black Boxer's," to show up? The Gene for the "Color Black," is not there. If it were ... it would not have taken 60 year's for "Black Boxer's to show up!" Just saying.

'

·
Super Moderator
7,136 Posts
The dog you have shared is not an AKC purebred.

They have a PAL number which is for unregistered dogs to be able to compete in sporting events. Not conformation and it does not allow them to be breeding prospects. Therefore any colour can be listed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Tri color boxer oh jz soon there will be long haired boxers marked as "pure" lol boxers don't carry the black gene. Boxers come in two colors fawn or brindle nothing else with a possibility of white flashing. Anyone claiming to be pure has something else bred in down the lines.

I think there will always be people out there trying to debilitate the breed.. those are normally the ones just trying to make a quick buck.. it is sad.

I see online all the time "miniature teacup pigs" going for $$1200 +++ and people believe it! A year later my father who owns a farm gets a call from the local humane society saying they had a surrender and asking if he could take a full grown pot belly pig... he has 3 I believe lol its crazy.
technicaly the original boxer did have a medium coat lol. but obviously that is before breed standards were even set for the boxer

·
Registered
43 Posts
So here is a question that i have had about sealed brindles as i dont ever remember those being around when i was a pup But i guess it would apply to tri colors as well. I know that the ukc only allows brindle and fawn. but would allowing a new color or two improve genetic diversity within the breed? or is that not how it works at all with dog genetics?

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Actually over the years the AKC has done quite a bit on health testing.
Health Testing Preparation Made Easier – American Kennel Club There are many different links for finding information. You now have different classifications when looking at their market place for "AKC" dogs. You can now see "breeders of merit" /and/ Bred wit H.E.A.R.T. and which test are required by AKC to be considered a breeder of merit, or heart, so you can now more easily distinguish. Years ago when you saw that a dog was AKC you knew you were getting a purebred dog of a certain breed, now that is still the case however being AKC registered does not guarantee you a healthy good tempered dog. You need to look into the different classifications now. Poor breeding habits, people who just breed dogs for cash, and just simply times are changing. *remember that song? Its not all about conformation though that in my opinion plays a very important role. We don't want our boxer turning into say a mastiff. Each breed has its "look" and also its "traits/personalities". You don't want to take away from that. The boxer breed does not have the genetic DNA for "black", therefore without introducing another breed into the gene pool you cannot not have a "black" boxer, nor can you have a tri-color.
Now I am not a breeder nor am I all that educated in genetics but as a lay person that is my take. As far as "allowing" a new color, I have not idea if that could or would improve and genetic diversity but it would take many years I would assume before you have a 100% boxer . Same story goes with all these doodles you see. Started with the labradoodle, but I don't think any are to this date considered genetically"pure" (way over my head). I have a friend who has a doodle, I have a poodle and all she tells me is hers is 75% poodle or her daughters is 95% poodle, I honestly don't understand that if you want a poodle just get a poodle. She wanted her doodle to be frosty white, meh poodles do have that gene. OK thats all another story for perhaps another day.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Actually over the years the AKC has done quite a bit on health testing.
Health Testing Preparation Made Easier – American Kennel Club There are many different links for finding information. You now have different classifications when looking at their market place for "AKC" dogs. You can now see "breeders of merit" /and/ Bred wit H.E.A.R.T. and which test are required by AKC to be considered a breeder of merit, or heart, so you can now more easily distinguish. Years ago when you saw that a dog was AKC you knew you were getting a purebred dog of a certain breed, now that is still the case however being AKC registered does not guarantee you a healthy good tempered dog. You need to look into the different classifications now. Poor breeding habits, people who just breed dogs for cash, and just simply times are changing. *remember that song? Its not all about conformation though that in my opinion plays a very important role. We don't want our boxer turning into say a mastiff. Each breed has its "look" and also its "traits/personalities". You don't want to take away from that. The boxer breed does not have the genetic DNA for "black", therefore without introducing another breed into the gene pool you cannot not have a "black" boxer, nor can you have a tri-color.
Now I am not a breeder nor am I all that educated in genetics but as a lay person that is my take. As far as "allowing" a new color, I have not idea if that could or would improve and genetic diversity but it would take many years I would assume before you have a 100% boxer . Same story goes with all these doodles you see. Started with the labradoodle, but I don't think any are to this date considered genetically"pure" (way over my head). I have a friend who has a doodle, I have a poodle and all she tells me is hers is 75% poodle or her daughters is 95% poodle, I honestly don't understand that if you want a poodle just get a poodle. She wanted her doodle to be frosty white, meh poodles do have that gene. OK thats all another story for perhaps another day.
Yeah I see your point i and i could be totally wrong but guess that i just wonder like if all pure breed dogs are made out of a foundation of other breeds yeah, at some point would it not benefit the health of the breed to maybe rentroduce some of those genetics. I study wild animals as well and one of the major signs of potential extinction is when you start to see a small gene pool. like what is currently happening in cheetahs. so with domestic breeds it would seem like controlled genetic diversity would be incredibly beneficial.Especially when you look at the current state of breeds like the german shepherd and pembroke welsch corgy.Or for example the likes of the Doberman Pinscher the breed is plagued by the likes of von willebrands, demodicosis, wobblers syndrome, osteosarcoma, cardiomyopathy and more all while the kennel clubs staunchly stick to allowing only 2 colors. it would appear to me that the breed is in need of some new genetics interring the lines. you can only keep stirring around the same stagnant water for so long as i see it. But alas i am no breeder and im sure there are people far more qualified than me on this topic.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
So here is a question that i have had about sealed brindles as i dont ever remember those being around when i was a pup But i guess it would apply to tri colors as ewell. I know that the ukc only allows brindle and fawn. but would allowing a new color or two improve genetic diversity within the breed? or is that not how it works at all with dog genetics?
The Sealed and Reversed Brindles are kinda rare? So it's not really a surprise that you have not seen one.

And I don't know crap about the UKC? But Brindle and Fawn, only? Kind of leaves out the "Flashes?" And that makes no sense? If you ask the average American what does a "Boxer," look like? They will picture a "Flashy!" In America, if your doing the "Conformation Thing." If your Boxer is not a Flashy, the deck is already stacked against you?

And there in is the "X," factor? The "White Boxer!" The "White Boxer," is not eligible for "Conformation." And the reason for that ... was started a "very longtime in Germany." The German FCI, I think it is? The Boxer is a "German Dog," and the thus the "German's," get to set the "Rules!"

The "Boxer." is a Molosser type dog. These guy's and for the "Boxers," all the gene's that had the color "Black," were to large for the dog they wanted? The "Neapolitan Mastiff," comes to mind ... but if one introduced that into the "Boxer," Gene Pool? You'd be looking at a much larger "Boxer?" But that never happened.

The Boxer's introduction in "America," was uh complicated? The first time was after WWII, those dog's would have been "Pure Euro!" And they got here from "Germany." after WW II and by and large "No One Cared?"

Those were "Real Deal Euro," Dogo's and they were just "Too much Dog, for the average American." So you ... know try again?

So after WWll, the Boxer's were brought back once again, to American. But this time ... it was "different?" This time there were "Dog Men," that came home "Boxer's." And those guy's saw "something," in the "Dog's?" But they also "understood," that as they were? They were just to much Dog for the "average," American?

So they "changed," them and producer a "Boxer," that was more suited for "America." A "Boxer," that was "Slimmer, Smaller and lighter then there "Euro Counter Part." A Boxer with a different "Temperament," and they also introduced "Goofy?" As a "Breed Characteristic??" Now I have no idea how that happened? And sadly that folks' that would know? Are now long gone?

But whatever the Boxer after WW II, were a hit and became AKC registered. The "White Boxer," and the "Flashy?" The "White Boxer," because of the "FCi?" Was not "acceptable." as a "Working Dog?" And the "Germans," set the "Rules"

And the "Boxer," is a "Working Dog," And as such a "Dog has to be able, to do the same job as any other colored dog can do?" And the FCI ... deicide that a "White Boxer," can not! And a "White Boxer," at night is to easy to see? So they cannot ... do the same job and are not "eligible for "Conformation!"

Now I would say do a "recall," with a "White Boxer, at night, while it is , "Snowing," and good luck spotting her! :)

Now frankly they tried to just get rid of all the "Whites," back in the day? But that kind of "Back Fired?" First if you get rid of the "Whites?" You get rid of the "Flashes?" And second you tell people that "they can't, have something?" And guess what they want?
:)

On and on a side note (Working Dog Stuff.) I know nothing about "Dobie's?" But LOL ... the other "Dog of War," that came back from WW II, was the Working line GSD! And the GSD's from back in the Day? Felt there dog's "Of War," were just fine as they were!

If your not good enough to deal with them? "Good Luck," with that! I got my first trip to the ER for stichies dealing with mine ... But in the long run, he was a "Great Freaking Dog!" But I would not "recommend a Wl GSD, to anyone I know. :)

Those guy's (Wl GSD) did not change after WW II. and they are still, the number two or three most popular dog in America? Good Luck with that. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
The Sealed and Reversed Brindles are kinda rare? So it's not really a surprise that you have not seen one.

And I don't know crap about the UKC? But Brindle and Fawn, only? Kind of leaves out the "Flashes?" And that makes no sense? If you ask the average American what does a "Boxer," look like? They will picture a "Flashy!" In America, if your doing the "Conformation Thing." If your Boxer is not a Flashy, the deck is already stacked against you?

And there in is the "X," factor? The "White Boxer!" The "White Boxer," is not eligible for "Conformation." And the reason for that ... was started a "very longtime in Germany." The German FCI, I think it is? The Boxer is a "German Dog," and the thus the "German's," get to set the "Rules!"

The "Boxer." is a Molosser type dog. These guy's and for the "Boxers," all the gene's that had the color "Black," were to large for the dog they wanted? The "Neapolitan Mastiff," comes to mind ... but if one introduced that into the "Boxer," Gene Pool? You'd be looking at a much larger "Boxer?" But that never happened.

The Boxer's introduction in "America," was uh complicated? The first time was after WWII, those dog's would have been "Pure Euro!" And they got here from "Germany." after WW II and by and large "No One Cared?"

Those were "Real Deal Euro," Dogo's and they were just "Too much Dog, for the average American." So you ... know try again?

So after WWll, the Boxer's were brought back once again, to American. But this time ... it was "different?" This time there were "Dog Men," that came home "Boxer's." And those guy's saw "something," in the "Dog's?" But they also "understood," that as they were? They were just to much Dog for the "average," American?

So they "changed," them and producer a "Boxer," that was more suited for "America." A "Boxer," that was "Slimmer, Smaller and lighter then there "Euro Counter Part." A Boxer with a different "Temperament," and they also introduced "Goofy?" As a "Breed Characteristic??" Now I have no idea how that happened? And sadly that folks' that would know? Are now long gone?

But whatever the Boxer after WW II, were a hit and became AKC registered. The "White Boxer," and the "Flashy?" The "White Boxer," because of the "FCi?" Was not "acceptable." as a "Working Dog?" And the "Germans," set the "Rules"

And the "Boxer," is a "Working Dog," And as such a "Dog has to be able, to do the same job as any other colored dog can do?" And the FCI ... deicide that a "White Boxer," can not! And a "White Boxer," at night is to easy to see? So they cannot ... do the same job and are not "eligible for "Conformation!"

Now I would say do a "recall," with a "White Boxer, at night, while it is , "Snowing," and good luck spotting her! :)

Now frankly they tried to just get rid of all the "Whites," back in the day? But that kind of "Back Fired?" First if you get rid of the "Whites?" You get rid of the "Flashes?" And second you tell people that "they can't, have something?" And guess what they want?
:)

On and on a side note (Working Dog Stuff.) I know nothing about "Dobie's?" But LOL ... the other "Dog of War," that came back from WW II, was the Working line GSD! And the GSD's from back in the Day? Felt there dog's "Of War," were just fine as they were!

If your not good enough to deal with them? "Good Luck," with that! I got my first trip to the ER for stichies dealing with mine ... But in the long run, he was a "Great Freaking Dog!" But I would not "recommend a Wl GSD, to anyone I know. :)

Those guy's (Wl GSD) did not change after WW II. and they are still, the number two or three most popular dog in America? Good Luck with that. :)
Flashys are acceptable as they are not seen as a separate color. That is to say that flashy brindle just falls under brindle and the same goes for flashy fawn.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts