Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my second rodeo with a Boxer so I decided to go grain free since my last boy had a lot of skin issues. He is currently on Wellness Core Grain Free Puppy Dry food since he was 12 weeks old. He has always had loose stools and excessive flatulence. I thought grain free was the way to go. The vet is wanting me to go the Royal Canine route but it seems to be chocked full of grain products and it is THE brand endorsed by this vet clinic. She indicated some dogs are unable to process "richer" dog foods. He is also on the thin side. He does not receive any table scraps or people food. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Royal Canin as a general rule is crap food ... but if you have a pet, suffering specific medicalical condition ... they seem to have that dialed in.

I had a Cat that suffered from Urinary Tract Infections and the only dry Kibble he could eat was Royal S/O. If I dared to try any other kibbel ... back to the Vet you go! I spent 18 years of buying that overpriced, prescription required crap for him ... but it was the only Kibbel he could eat without issue.

Your puppy is on a good kibbel and his current issues "may not be related" to qualify of kibbel, as much as it maybe the rate of change from what he was eating???

I would stick with what you are feeding and add a teaspoon or two of raw pumpkin to his food. The Pumpkin Puree not the Pumpkin Pie mix.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/health/general-health/can-pumpkin-help-with-dog-diarrhea/

Welcome aboard and sorry your having issues.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would think they are wanting to put him on a GI food.
If you wanted to try to switch foods I would look at something that is around
30% protein, 20% fat.
I have a very active boxer and its tough to keep weight on him. He requires a high fat food to keep his weight up.
If you really want to narrow it down you could look for a high fat, limited ingredient food and see how it works for him

·
Registered
31 Posts
andreaformantrusty, my vet wanted my boxer to try the Royal Canin as well. However, I have also been researching dog foods and it only had a 3 star rating on a dog food advisor site. It is hard to know what to do when vets have different advice from the pet food stores. My guy has loose stool as well and is gassy. I tried adding a little pumpkin and it didn't seem to help. Maybe I didn't add enough...it is supposed to help slow the transition time of the food. I am now trying a probiotic. I'm really thinking it is the white potato in his present food. I had tried him with a spoonful of white potato and he threw that up, totally undigested a few times during the night. I'm willing to make homemade food for him if I need to, but would rather have kibble.

I have read that grain free, potato free, chicken and beef free is a good place to start on this forum. I think a single protein is a good way to go too. And feeding smaller meals throughout the day.

I know I am getting close to helping his digestive problems. When I got him in march, he had bloody jelly poops and vomiting every morning. He was underweight. Now the only thing is mushy poop by the end of the day and tooting. Firm stool in the morning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts