Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tricks do you teach your boxers? I am trying to teach Merlin to "sit pretty" (begging position). Is that feasible for such a big dog? He's actually trying!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
oh yeah!!!  Lilly loves to sit pretty (not for a camera though [gggggggggrrrrrrrr]).  She is also the queen of "snob"...The command is be a snob and she puts her tail straight up in the air and walks away...It's hilarious!!!  Looks like a popular girl turning her nose up at you in bum form...

anyways...when he gets it down...get pix...

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I am trying with Fiona to learn Shake and she has a hard time with it.  She falls over like she can't control herself on 3 legs  :D

She will sit, lay, stay, heel and go to bed! :)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Chance has sit down pat....he can shake sometimes. Layla is a rough one to teach. She ignores me totally. I would love to teach them sit pretty. we had a dog growing up that did that and my brother in laws dog does it. And Liz that is toooo funny about "snob" I would love to teach mine that

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
she just happens to walk that way alot...i basically took advantage of a natural behavior...when she would get up I would tell her to walk like a snob and when she walked about 5 feet I would treat her...It's basically pairing a verbal cue to a behavior and reinforcing it with treats and praise...shes quite happy to do it now...

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
405 Posts
Abby and Brady both do "sit pretty," although Brady tends to fall over backwards after a moment because he is so roly-poly.  There is a picture in my album of Abby doing "pretty."  It took some time and some balance coordinating but she learned and does it all the time now! I started with "paw" for shake, then I would say "paw," and help her lift the other front paw and say "pretty!" It took a few days, but it worked. She understood within a few minutes what I wanted, but was having a hard time learning to balance, but now she will sit like that for quite some time if she thinks she will get a treat for it!

They also do the typical sit, down, paw, stay, leave-it, and then I taught them "turn," just a tiny circle. That was easy to teach. Brady is also learning "go 'round!" for when he gets his leash wrapped around a tree...so I don't have to go out to rescue him...tehhee. I have NO IDEA how to teach roll over, what I have read just hasn't worked.

I would love to come up with more things to train them though. It's so fun!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I taught Lilly, let me rephrase that, my KIDS taught Lill ring around the rosy...It's basically a circle with a sit  at the end...She does it automatically for my kids when they are training.  We have to start ther training sessions with a ring around the rosy and a treat for lilly.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I am trying to teach Reese the smile like hanna does. I noticed after seeing the video that Reese does the same thing and so now if i catch her i will say "smile" and treat. the first few times she gave me the "are you nuts" look but it is getting a little better now :) Savannah is so stubborn. we are still working on "lay down"

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Merlin has the "lay down" part mastered, but I see we have a lot more we can work on! He also begins his obedience training in September.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
The only trick I have taught Kiah is to shake with both paws (one at a time).  I am in the process of teaching her to put both paws on my arm and then I can teach her to "pray".  Once I got my pit bull to put his paws on my arm it took him about 5 minutes to learn the pray part.  I'm pretty sure that Kiah will learn that part quickly too.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Both boys will sit beautifully(I love the boxer chest out sitting position) and STAY(for a bit at least!) and they will do down and come...so far, that's it...but, those were our most important goals! :)

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Odin's got come, sit, down, off, shake, stay and leave it down pat! Crawl and drop it are sometimes simple and sometimes a challenge... he's only getting better though. He also sits and stays on the carpet part of our hallway while talking to the person at the front door or messing with the pizza man. He heel's pretty good... almost great at it... and we are currently working on sitting politely to be pet. He just gets SO excited around new people!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Debo has learned to sit, lay, paw (shake), back (roll over on back), cage (go to crate - my fiancee called it cage, i don't like the term "cage" though!), out (to go outside), walk (goes to door and gets super excited), treat (automatically sits and waits), ice (he mostly knows what this is, he gets excited and sometimes goes to fridge).

With all of this, my biggest problem is getting him to COME! If we go to a park or outside, he gets totally distracted and pays me no mind. I'll call for him and at times I basically have to chase him down.

We walked past a house the other day and there were two dogs. Debo goes ABSOLUTELY NUTS when he sees other dogs. And I was like oh great, they are gonna run down here to him and it's gonna be doggies flying everywhere lol. The owner was with the dogs (labs) and he was calm and was like come, come..stay and the dogs totally ignored Debo. Debo kept pulling on the leash and couldn't get his eyes off them. I learned u are supposed to keep walking and act like it's not a big deal, but he was adoment *sp*! I'm like man, I wish Debo could be off the leash and just be "chill". We'll continue to work on it...

·
Registered
291 Posts
what fun tricks does your boxer do?

so i am interested in hearing what tricks your boxer does?? Tyson does the usual sit,stay,lay,fetches,jumps on our trampoline,gives paw and jumps up and gives hugs.

~stephanie

·
Registered
270 Posts
Re: what fun tricks does your boxer do?

Well.....my older Boxer can shake with BOTH paws!  My boyfriend is all excited about this one!  He says she ambidextrics(so mispelled that one). Hes so proud of it too!  Kinda funny

·
Registered
627 Posts
Roxy knows sit, paw, down (lay down), stay, come, and crate.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts