Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually trim all my dogs toenails myself.  Never had a problem with my shelfites.

Now, Baby, is a different story.  I sat down with her on the floor and was petting her front paw .  I even got the clippers out and let her smell them and everything.  As soon as I touched her toenail with the clipper she juimped and yelled like I was killing her  and I all I did was touch her.

Now she won't even let me touch her paws, if she even thinks I'm thinking about it she's all defensive.

Is there anyway I can undo the damage I may have caused?  

Might just have to take her to a professional to have them done if I can't do them myself.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Not sure if you could do this, but worth a try...This was actually suggested to me for introducing a Dremel tool...Get the clippers, sit down on the floor and lay the clippers in front of you..Make it a game with Baby. Kinda roll the clippers around, let her sniff them, you get the picture..Do that for a few minutes every day..Then touch them to her, don't clip, but just so she gets the idea that the clippers won't hurt her...Possibly that may help her get over her fear....

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Phoenix wouldn't let us cut her nails from the start. A friend of ours is a dog groomer so she's been cutting her nails. The first few times she went into see her so that she could get used to it and know its not that scary. Then the last couple of times she's come out to our house to cut them so that we can be present and help her cut them. We noticed that if we started with her back nails first it was a little easier because it was harder for her to squirm.
Then the other day I cut her nails myself. Just a little trim to start with though and when I finished a few nails she got a treat - which is enjoyed! Also doing them when she's dead asleep is also alot easier.

Just as a side note the first time we tried to cut her nails ourself when she was a pup we were using the traditional nail clippers (the ones you stick the nail in the hole and it slices upward) But our friend suggested using the other ones that are more like scissors because they are easier and quicker to use.

Hope you find something that works for you!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Jackson our border collie sits nice and still when we trim his because we started him young with giving him "special treat" when we get done with his nails. Special treat is just soft canned dog food, but to them it's something they only get when they're really good. Tyson is slowly but surely catching on that when he gets his nail clipped he gets special treat afterwards. As smack83 mentioned, you might also try when she is sleeping.

G

·
0 Posts
I'm thankful Jetta didn't become afraid of the clippers...the first few times I clipped her...I cut the quick...but she is an angel...I reward her big time afterwards...and I love  on her while I'm doing it...Both of my dogs I can do by myself..with no help...

·
Registered
314 Posts
I started as soon as I got duke, I make him lay down then I sit down in front of him and start clipping.  If he moves I stop and tell him to lay and stay, And he does just fine for me I dont really trust anyone else to do it.  But I started on him when he was 14wks

·
Registered
482 Posts
I work at a groomers and whenwe have problems with dogs we always tell the owners to give the dog leg a good rub down and work your way to the paws and once you get there give cookies and affection. Do this daily until she's not crazy about you touching her feet.  If you go at her with nervous energy she'll be just as nervous as you are and react terribly.

·
Registered
648 Posts
[quote="Lizcantjump\";p=\"90706":3w37kc5a]I work at a groomers and whenwe have problems with dogs we always tell the owners to give the dog leg a good rub down and work your way to the paws and once you get there give cookies and affection. Do this daily until she's not crazy about you touching her feet.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yeah I always do back nails first if the dog doesn't respond well to the fronts, just let them get more and more use to it.  It's so hard to have calm energy when doing nails, I've done so many over time but I'm just so paranoid to hurt them and make them bleed which doesn't help the situation, so I'm having to take a few breaths before I go in to cut nails and just relax, it's so much easier said then done.  I'm a nervous person by nature but working with dogs has forced me to be more calm and collected!  I think it's good for me!

G

·
0 Posts
I cut the nails on 5 dogs every week ( my two, my mom's three) a cat, and a bunny...i'm very used to it, lol

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I have to do 3 dogs every time i cut nails, and they defidently all react differently. Blue, he whines, all he does, and if you touch his paw he cries, i tell him no, and i just keep going, cause if i stop it will teach him thats what happens when he cries. Keep in mind im never hurting him, he's just a wimp.
Maddy, shes moody, i either have to sit her down, or she stays standing, but her quick is really far down on the nail, so i have to find someway to shorten it if at all possible.

Tink, shes amazing, she lies on her back, snorting i put my foot on her tummy and massage it, and she lets me do her nails. Lol

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the suggestions, I will try and take it slowly with her.  Like I said I'm used to doing my shelties and they will let do about anything to them.  Whereas Baby is a bit more hyper.  LOL

·
Registered
696 Posts
*haha* Prada's the same way... I've done it ever since she was a wee pup, but she still insists on being a brat! :roll: She lets me do it, but she certainly likes to test me along the way. The best time to do it is right after a good walk and/or play session... since they're more calm @ this time. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
I cut my dogs toe nails.  Several months ago I accidently hit the quick on Lola and she freaked.  I then had the same problem with Lola wanting to freak anytime I touched her feet, regardless of it I was actually trying to cut a nail.  So I started giving her treats when I would pet her feet and we slowly worked up to having the clippers sit right next to her feet while she got treats (only got treats for being calm) and then finally to me cutting the nails.  I just cut them 3 days ago actually.

I have the guillotine (sp?) style clippers and I hate them.  IMO it's hard to see what your doing.  I'm actually now using human toe nail clippers (a nice big one).  The opening doesn't let me get quite as far up the nail as I'd like but it lets me cut the tip off nice and cleanly.  I guess this way I know I won't hit the quick either  :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just wanted to let you all know that I tried the leg massage with Baby and so far so good.  She will let me touch her front paws when I do that.  I'm not going to try and trim anything for awhile.  I'll just keep massaging off and on until I feel she's comfortable with me again.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

·
Registered
696 Posts
That's great news - keep it up!! :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts