Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have trouble clipping their boxer's nails?  Mine won't let us cut hers for anything.  We try doing it when she's sleeping, and she hears the clippers and wakes up.  She kicks and bites every time we try to clip her nails.  When the vet tried to clip them, they had three people trying to hold her down, and they still couldn't cut her nails.  Has anybody else had this problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
882 Posts
Gaby doesn't like to have hers clipped either....but I can usually get her when she is sleeping.....you can try re-enforcing a positive experience with treats, clip one nail give her one treat....I think repitition is the key hear...hope this helps :)

G

·
0 Posts
Same problem with half mine.. but I hold them stern and get it done... After they get treats. Mine don't bite at me though... just fight and wiggle...

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Make it fun for her.  I have been working on my younger dog.  Like do a nail or two per day.  Keep it fun and do a lot of talking and alot of good dog!  Have the hubby hold a high value treat that she will focus on.  Sometimes I will lightly blow in their face to distract them.  I make a noise when I do the nail like "Boop" or something to give them another focus.  First try practicing with the clipper and not clipping.  Let her see it sniff it bite it if she wants.  Hold it by a nail and make a noise and then tell her good girl!  and give a treat.  Or sometimes I just take my fingernails and run them down the dogs nail or mess with it a little.  Gaby's daddy is right, just takes time and positive reinforcement.

Nano

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Ringer was fine until he came back from the vet's with a complimentary nail trimming. Why they didn't ask, I don't know but that is a different story.   After that, he pulled and made it pretty difficult.  I started making him shake/high five/give me a paw every time he came in the door and now it is a lot easier to clip his nails as long as I don't get greedy and try to go too short or too much in one snip.  You may want to try that and see if she will become more comfortable with you handling her paws.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She'll let us touch her paws when she shakes, but thats it.  Even if we mess with her paws, just to rub them or whatever, while she's sleeping she jerks her paw away.  They're really sensitive.  When she was really young she let me clip her nails without a problem.  Maybe the vet cut them wrong one time when I took her and that's why.  I'm not sure.  It's not just with her nails though.  She doesn't like to be restrained for anything.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have to admit this is a hard thing to do at times. I would agree doing one nail at a time works better. The hardest part for me is she will let me do if I am quick....BUT if I am slow trying to find the the best place to cut she starts to get impatient and then it's over.....I am slow becasue I don't want to cut the quick.

I have also seen allot of adult boxers have their nails filed down with an electric sander.  Many show dogs have it done this way and they seem to be okay with it.  I guess I will just try to stay persistant and give some high value treats. I think that was a great suggestion.

G

·
0 Posts
Sorry, can't help...I've handled my pups (Jetta's) paws since she was 6 weeks old...I have my mom hold her while I clip and she is fine...Bo is fine as long as my mom holds him as well...I would say try to gently handle her paws while giving her treats for being patient...so no and ignore her when she squirms and fights...

G

·
0 Posts
GabysDaddy\";p=\"72725 said:
Gaby doesn't like to have hers clipped either....but I can usually get her when she is sleeping.....you can try re-enforcing a positive experience with treats, clip one nail give her one treat....I think repitition is the key here...hope this helps :)
Thats what I did from day one. Sev HATED his nail clipped when he was a pup! Now he just sits there and lets me. Give me a look like, "Hurry up so I can have my treat!" He lets me do them all at once.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Nikki our Chihuahua... is SUPER SENSITIVE... so I just let the vet do it... obviously not as over powering as a boxer though. I let the vet do Odins... but I play with and massage his feet, toes, in between his pads... so I could if I wanted to... I have before. Do you do that with her... play with her toes etc... all the time. That's suppose to help.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Excellent suggestions from Mastray and everyone else.  Playing with her toes alot will help desensitize her to the clipping.  You just need to keep at it on a daily basis.  Some dogs are just more sensitive and others have just had a bad experience.  Having three people hold you down at the vet's to do it would not make me appreciate the experience of having mine done either. It would make it seem scary.  Just keep at it.

Nano

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
The main thing I noticed was your comment on her not liking to be restrained.  This is actually the area I think you need to address first.  I have this same conversation at work alot and it is 98% of the time about nails.

I ususally see a few errors in this at work.  One is that if she is all wiggles, pulling and trying to get away never give her treats to calm her down or reward her with "good girl" comments because she will think it is okay to act that way.  

Second, somewhere along the line she learned that if she wiggles you will stop.  The answer here is not to let them win.  Do not stop until the job is done, you got to be the pack leader on this and they have to learn they dont get their way, it become easier to get it done then to fight if you dont give up. (may take a few times)

Get her up off the floor, it is easier to handle a dog on a table or something when clipping nails then on the floor, they have more leverage over you down there.

The less restraint the better IMO....I never have 3 or 4 tech's/assistants in there laying on a dog to get its nails cut.  There should be one holder and one clipper....

With the dog off the ground you place one hand behind the head and the other under the throat.  You would look like you are trying to choke the dog (but dont :) , you then lean into the body (shoulder blade area) with your arm that is holding the back of the neck and hold them in a down position.  The person with the clippers goes around to each toe.  The main thing here is not to stop and dont let them raise up and get away.....This works 100% better then having a ton of people trying to hold you down.....

If she trys to get away hold her firm until she stops trying to get away....This will show your position over her and that she wont get her way and you wont stop...after it is all said and done then praise and treat!!!!!......

A dog that does not like to be restrained is one that is very hard to work on with anything.  It could be nails first then move on to ears, eyes, baths etc.......So, again I say start there :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts