Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are having troulbe with our boxer!

Let me start out by saying we have a lot of animals, 1 boxer, 1 golden retriver, 3 rat terriers and 1 new kitten. We were given our boxer, Spike when he was 12 weeks old, his is now 1 1/2.

2 weeks ago we moved in a new house and adopted a new kitten. A lot of changes in a couple of days! Spike is now acting very aggressive. He fights with the other dogs and trys to attack our kitten. He has NOT tried to bite any of us, however he has come close when we have to break up a fight. It is very easy to get him to stop. He pulls off and listens to comands once we get a hold of him. Any ideas on what we can do? I hate to seperate him from the other dogs, they have always played and gotten along great until now.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Maybe talk to a trainer or a vet.  He's probably just stressed out over the move.  Dogs respond to stress in all sorts of odd ways.  Also, I've read that boxers don't get on well with cats unless they were raised with them.  I wouldn't leave him alone with the kitten.

Zhanna

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Boxers are very "schedule" orientated & like their enviroment to stay the same, they thrive like that. Moving is a very stressful time for everyone, incl our furkids. Very likely with the move all your furkids are trying to establish their "place" in your new house. Bringing in a new kitten right now probably doesn't help things, but just make a point of keeping the kitten away from your boxer for the time being.

All your pets will adapt, animals are pretty resiliant. Heck my 2 took a flight across the pond & spent 6 mos in quarantine & did quite well...Whatever you do, don't use the excess love to compensate for his behavior, you would just be feeding the problem.

Keep us posted & welcome... :)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I would also recommend getting a thyroid test done on him.  Thyroid problems can lead to sudden changes in behavior and boxers are prone to thyroid problems.  I have had three of mine diagnosed with it.  I would also recommend reinforcing the basic obedience commands with him during walks, during the day and whenever.  A little guidance from you might be just what he needs at this time.  They are very apt to be stressed and acting out due to lack of understanding.  Good luck!

Nano

Mother to Mateo & Talia

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the great advice! Things are starting to settle down. Spike is less aggressive and is starting to understand the kitten. He has a very heavy paw, so now when he plays, we have to keep an eye on him. He tends to hold the kitten with his paws, and well the kitten gets smashed, but at least everyone is getting along.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Woo hoo.. Glad to hear that things are getting better... When the kitten gets bigger, it also will get easier, cos he/she will start fighting back a bit more, least that's what happened with mine..They ended up being good friends, but they also were raised together.. Just keep an eye on them....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts