Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not too happy with the diamond naturals chicken and rice as Jetta has really bad gas, Bo's coat just doesn't seem as thick and shiny as before, and I've noticed that Jetta seems to have a little redness on her muzzle area, so I've decided to switch again.  

I have always liked Premium Edge dog food.  It's like a premium line from Diamond dog food.  My mom's dogs always did great on it, no corn, wheat, soy etc.  I was at the pet store today and saw that they have a skin and coat formula with salmon and potatoes and veggies.  

Here is the link from their website, what do you guys think?

http://premiumedgepetfood.com/products/ ... s_formula/

I mixed it 1/2 and 1/2 ( I know it's a bit fast, didn't expect to switch and only had a little of the diamond left.) and they gobbled it right up!

·
Registered
882 Posts
I checked out the Premium Edge, and yes I think it's a good choice, I definitely like the selection of fruits and veggies in it, and that the first two ingredients are named meat products....The only thing I would be concerned with is that there are no statements guaranteeing the use of ethoxyquin-free protein ingredients in the food...other than that it sounds like a pretty good food....I'm also thinking of switching Gaby's food to Wellness just for puppy because it also has a good selection of meat products first and high on the list as well as a good selection of fruits and veggies and there are statements guaranteeing the use of ethoxyquin-free protein ingredients in the food ....once she reaches 12-14 months then I plan on putting her on Wellness core which is based on the raw feeding philosophy of providing nutrient-rich, high-quality meat to a dog

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Its rated 4 stars on the dog food analysis so it should be pretty good.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now, do you think it being fish based it will cause her gas to get better or worse?  I talked to a girl at the petstore and she said her dogs have awful allergies and this food was the only thing that worked for theirs.  I just never fed a fish based food before, so I don't know what to expect.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hmm, not to sure if the gas will be better or worse, but if it does get worse then she will have the fish farts :lol: , probably vary smelly....I've never fed a fish based food either, I hate the smell of it, and I'm allergic to shell fish, but I'm sure I could handle the smell of the dry kibble without gaging :lol:

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
[email protected] Gas, silly, dont you know its one of  the boxers trademark?.. I have read a book that claims all Boxers have it. I do however notice that Newt has less gas with Purina 1 for adult dogs... smaller kibbles. I also every now and then put 1/4 can of wet (ID) in her food, I have to have a perscription for it but its filled with great stuff. I also once or twice a week feed her a cooked egg, over medium or boiled for her. Newt has many issues with allergies, you name it shes had it... but if I do this for her, her coat stays nice and shiney and I think Im doing something good for her. Oh and I also give her one teaspoon of yogart 2 times a week for (female) issues she has. I really think its all in what they can handle, experiment and see what works best for you :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
We used that a couple years ago (one of the many foods we tried).  Calli & Berk ate the first bag fine (Teaki couldn't tolerate it so she wouldn't eat it) but the second bag they wouldn't touch so we took it back.  It was the salmon and sweet potato flavor.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah eats pro plan selects salmon and hardly has any gas, but her breath right after she eats is terrible  :lol:

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
looks good. I would just feed and see how the gas goes. Never know till you try i guess. Some dogs will have bad gas on one food while others are fine on it. With the quick food change, Mav is ok with that also..i could change it everyday and he wouldnt care but other dogs can be so sensitive to it.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I used to feed Delilah Premium Edge.. overall its a pretty good food.  have you tried yogurt for the tooting?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I switched Bo from purina dog to canidae cold turkey..he had one day loose poops...I switched them from Canidae to Diamond Naturals 3/4 new 1/4 old for a week and they were fine...they seem to have pretty strong bellies.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At this point, we can't really afford the yogurt...we add eggs every other day and they get occasional peanut butter...but other than that no additives to the food...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I would say organic yogurt isn't necessary.. if that is what you were looking at.  I usually buy the larger container of plain fat free generic brand yogurt I think it is just a couple dollars.  Or you could just live with the farts... probably will get worse before it gets better since you are switching foods kind of fast.  Sometimes I used to worry that I left the house smelling like dog farts, haha.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol..yeah...my mom's dogs also seem to have gas on the diamond naturals...so I'm thinking it has to get better and is related to the food...I don't think Jetta could get any worse though..she farts about 2000 times a day...always in my face too...

·
Registered
648 Posts
LOL as they say I am holding my breath waiting for the gas stage to hit britney but so far I can still breath easy! Large Breed RC has been excellent for her all around.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jetta didn't get gas until about 6 months old...I was hoping she wouldn't.  Bo doesn't have gas...maybe a fart or two a week

·
Registered
882 Posts
Gaby still has virtually no gas, she only farts when she has to go poo poo, that's how I know it's time to go out if she hasen't asked me first which she usually does...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts