Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
he got to the Godiva chocolate bar that was on the side table next to the couch! he ate about a 1X1 inch square of pure milk chocolate-- what do I do please help!!! Ive called one emergency vet that said he should be fine, but that was not what ive heard. Ive always heard that all chocolate is bad any amount. Please what do I do?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Re: PLEASE HELP!!! tucker just ate chocolate!!!!!

Well they do say it is a no no....but I have feed all my boxers chocolate(just a little here & there not like a candy bar) so if its just a 1x1" piece I wouldnt panic.He will be just find I'm sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts

The toxic compound is in the cacao. Seeing as it's milk chocolate (less concentrated), and a 1" square, he'll probably just get diarrhea and be ok. Keep a closer eye on him and be more careful in the future. Over the years my dogs have gotten into chocolate cake, chocolate doughnuts, and a whole bag of chocolate chips and been ok. Its just unplesant for an evening or so. I'd be more worried if it was a larger ammt or dark chocolate.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

BoxerDaddy\";p=\"61608 said:
Well they do say it is a no no....but I have feed all my boxers chocolate(just a little here & there not like a candy bar) so if its just a 1x1" piece I wouldnt panic.He will be just find I'm sure.
thanks we called a 2nd e-vet who also said he would be fine. She chuckled a bit at the end and said he would have to eat about a pound of dark chocolate for it to have any effect on him. Im going to keep an eye on him and take him out to potty a lot. He seems to be sleeping comfortably right now.

uuuuggg what a night......

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

OmensMom\";p=\"61609 said:
The toxic compound is in the cacao. Seeing as it's milk chocolate (less concentrated), and a 1" square, he'll probably just get diarrhea and be ok. Keep a closer eye on him and be more careful in the future. Over the years my dogs have gotten into chocolate cake, chocolate doughnuts, and a whole bag of chocolate chips and been ok. Its just unplesant for an evening or so. I'd be more worried if it was a larger ammt or dark chocolate.
yea its completely my fault... I didnt think he was tall enough to reach the middle of the end table, but he always seems to surprise me with the things he can do!

also should I give him any yogurt to solid him up a bit? As you all have suggested I give him 1tsp of non fat yogurt in his food in the morning, so he has already had his yogurt for the day.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

Awe Tucker, I hope you are okay and don't have any problems from your little Christmas treat.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts

If there are any problems... I think he'd just have the runs a little... he should be just fine. I've ever only known of 1 dog dying from eating chocolate (a dog I actually knew... I mean). My neighbors little girl who was probably 10 at the time was making chocolate cake mix or something and umm fed it all to the dog!??????? Where her mother was I have no clue!! That's just crazy... a 10 yr old should know better! Never really made any sense to me either... why make cake mix then feed it to the dog??

Anyway... like I said... he might have the runs... but hopefully that's it! Sorry you're having such a tough evening.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts

OHHHHH Tucker....now why did you have to worry mom on Christmas??? Shame on you!!! LOL I am sure he will be fine....believe me even if you dont think they can reach......they WILL find a way. Chance has gotten many a chocolate chip cookies here....he even opened my oven when i had them stored in there thinking he would never be able to get them....but he got it opened and ate quite a few! They are some rotten little guys that is for sure!! Give tucker a kiss from us since he might get an upset belly and let us know how he is doing

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

TamiNChance\";p=\"61619 said:
 Give tucker a kiss from us since he might get an upset belly and let us know how he is doing
Will do! he seems to be doing fine-- just sleeping as usual... and goodness gracious between the dog and the dad its been quite a night to remember!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts

awww im sorry youve been a bit stressed during this holiday season. I know what you mean about not thinking they can reach. Today since the stores are closed because i forgot about christmas and didnt wanna give him all of his kibble i made up some boiled chicken breasts and sweet potatoes and put them on the middle of the kitchen counter and he STILL got it...what will we do with them?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts

Yeah it would take more then a little to make him really ill, but in the future anytime he eats something that he is not suppose to or something that could be toxic, make him drink some peroxide and it will cause him to vomit it up before being absorbed in the system....:)  Glad he is doing okay!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

[quote="sharonL\";p=\"61629":uehkijpy]Yeah it would take more then a little to make him really ill, but in the future anytime he eats something that he is not suppose to or something that could be toxic, make him drink some peroxide and it will cause him to vomit it up before being absorbed in the system....:)

·
Registered
427 Posts

I know how you feel about the potty training thing because when we got home earlier I took Molly potty before I brought her in and she did both numbers but when I got her in the house about 15 min later she poo'd!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

SummerLuv\";p=\"61644 said:
I know how you feel about the potty training thing because when we got home earlier I took Molly potty before I brought her in and she did both numbers but when I got her in the house about 15 min later she poo'd!
oh yes isn't it fun... I did the same with tucker... he went out did his business then came in and laid on his little pillow bed... I swear he peed while he was laying down, its something im going to talk to my vet about when we go in next week. Im starting to worry he has a UTI or something... He does not drip or pee while walking, and he does not look up at you and just pee... but he will just randomly squat and pee, just started doing it again. But I swear he did not get up, he was sleeping on this bed I made for him, and when he did get up it looked like he was laying in a big puddle... Mind you I was on the computer and did not notice it until after I noticed he was up, so he could have stood up and done it while I was not paying attention. (which would be completely my fault...) but usually I see him squat and hear his pee hit the ground....... and its only a laptop so its not like I cant see over the top... I swear he did not get up

·
Registered
3,939 Posts

On peroxide...I dont know how big he is but usually just 2 or 3 tablespoons will do the trick on a 15 to 30 pounder

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

sharonL\";p=\"61647 said:
On peroxide...I dont know how big he is but usually just 2 or 3 tablespoons will do the trick on a 15 to 30 pounder
oh thank you so much! yes he is 22lbs at 3mo. old :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Lord have mercy, Tucker huny, you go tto quit scaring Momma like that....I've learned with Angel, that nothing is safe around here..Granted she doesn't "counter surf", but if you leave something in a wastebasket, that girl will find it...Glad Tucker is doing ok, there is a Sticky topic about first aid, you might want to print out and keep handy for emergencies. I keep a copy of it in the office

·
Registered
4,213 Posts

Oh Tucker! Sorry that you were worried on Christmas, it doesn't seem like it would have any effect being such a small amount...but I'd have been worried too. Glad it didn't seem to faze him.  How has he been since? I hear you about thinking that they can't reach stuff...Sadie amazes me what she can get to!

samsonsmom\";p=\"61678 said:
I've learned with Angel, that nothing is safe around here..Granted she doesn't "counter surf", but if you leave something in a wastebasket, that girl will find it.
URgGG Sadie counter surfs!  :? She is so long LOL she can bat her paws at just about anything on the counters now. And like you have said, NOTHING IT SAFE!  :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

So glad little Tucker is OK, that would scare me too.  I don't care for chocolate so never have any around, lucky for me as Kiah is a terrible counter surfer.

·
Registered
362 Posts

We had a maltese that ate most of a 1lb easter bunny.  We freaked out like you and come to find out, what he ate wouldn't kill him, probably just make him have an upset stomach.  (later vomitted up the chocolate and some foil).  The more pure the chocolate the more dangerous.  And I just recently learned that chocolate doesn't have the large levels of caffeine in it that most people think it has.  Pretty much no caffeine.  The theobromine is similar in structure and affects us like caffeine.  Just thought it was a neat piece of info.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts