Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night he had gas and softer stool. This morning his stool was back to normal, but seemed to still have a gassy belly... just bloated. Is this caused by eating too quickly? He has been doing fine on his food for the past 2 weeks, it just seems like he guzzles in a lot of air while he eats because he just eats too quickly.

Is this going to be a problem health wise? He did not have diarrhea, he just had gas and softer stool.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
What you can do to slow him down is place a ball in the middle of his bowl, or spread it out on a cookie sheet, both work well...You didn't say if he's farting a lot? That's a general side effect to gag, if so, give him a tsp of plain, low fat yogurt

·
Registered
397 Posts
I agree on the ball or large rock in his dish. They actually make a dish with these 3 nobs that sick up to encourage slower eating.
I'd keep an eye on him to see if he starts acting odd or off.

here a good link on what actual bloat is and some signals too.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... icleid=402

hope it settles soon.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats what I thought it was, and yes he does seem to be farting more. I'm going grocery shopping in a second, so i'll get some plain low fat yogurt at the store. Thanks for the info  on bloat as well.

Do those bloat bowls work, or is it going to be a waste of money?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
HoosiersDaddy\";p=\"57252 said:
Why didn't I know this!!?!?!?!

Hoosier has the worst gas ever...aint the bloat thing might be why he spits up water in the morning

Off to get some Yogurt pronto!

Lol, I don't know why you didn't know this....But glad you found out about it.... :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah is often gasyier (not sure if that is a word :lol:) with different foods too.  The toy in the food has slowed Kiahs eating down quite a bit, I use a rubber ring with a hole in it that is about as big as her nose, I just have make sure to clean it everytime becasue I put a bit of water with her kibble.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey thanks guys!!! I put a tennis ball in the food bowl and it really is working wonders! I bought the yogurt, but Im just a worried mom, so I figured I would ask my vet before I fed him anything different. We have an appt tomorrow.  Unless you all think I will be A'ok.  But even the ball was a big help! Im going to keep my eye on his stool, but so far so good. When he gets bigger I might get one of those anti-bloat bowls, but thats not until the tennis ball becomes too small to do the trick lol.

Thanks again everyone! and Im glad this topic could help others out as well :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts